follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-04-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
stokeless

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP Silver
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Perrin lockdown vs Cusco rack stay??

I've searched for the last two days and although, found some review, I need more input.

Which one would be better for DD? I don't plan to track but will enjoy spirited driving from time to time. Car is currently on ISC coilovers with no other suspension mod (camber is set to -2.2 f / -2.7r). Goal is to achieve more/better steering feel without an increase of NVH, if possible. I'm hoping for a straight forward installation, not a big fan of changing out bushings.

Both items are priced within reason... I was able to gather more on the Lockdown but not much on the Cusco stay brace.

Here's what I know:

Perrin Lockdown (pic below, red) - easy to install and really locks down steering feel but at an increase of NVH. According to some, the trade off is worth it, others, says the NVH increase is too much.

Cusco rack stay (pic below, blue) - easy to install and looks to be a good alternative to the Perrin lockdown, however, since it's bolted and connected from bolt to chassis, will the NVH increase? will this help with my goal?

Anyone with direct experience, please put in your 2 cents.
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2016, 01:09 PM   #2
kingkenny

Drives: 2014 Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i have the Cusco one , don't notice any NVH ...
kingkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:31 PM   #3
Cybmx

Drives: 2016 Hyperblue Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have the perrin one, didn't notice any NVH either.
Cybmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:43 PM   #4
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkenny View Post
i have the Cusco one , don't notice any NVH ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybmx View Post
I have the perrin one, didn't notice any NVH either.
Ok I'm confused now. Both of these were designed to transfer more vibrations (feedback). To the wheel. So are you saying there was no difference at all? NVH kinda goes hand in hand with feedback.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:47 PM   #5
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
what does the backside of the cusco look like? Unless it has a cup/edge to hold the steering rack, I don't see how it could do too much.

The issue is with play between the steering rack and bushing. The Perrin one makes it so the rack can't really move around. Can't tell with the cusco one though. If the cusco one only attaches to the bolt, I think the Perrin one would be more effective.
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
Antihero983 (08-17-2016), wparsons (08-05-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 02:19 PM   #6
akiranakayama

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (CBS)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Does the Perrin lockdown really make much of an appreciable difference in street driving?

EDIT: Just did a search and there are a few threads about this already. Seems like the more you mod your chassis/suspension the more of a difference that steering rack lockdowns will make. If stock, not so much.
2007 Suzuki SV650 (Track bike.)
akiranakayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #7
stokeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by continuecrushing View Post
what does the backside of the cusco look like? Unless it has a cup/edge to hold the steering rack, I don't see how it could do too much.

The issue is with play between the steering rack and bushing. The Perrin one makes it so the rack can't really move around. Can't tell with the cusco one though. If the cusco one only attaches to the bolt, I think the Perrin one would be more effective.
you have a valid point there.... hmmm interesting.
Attached Images

continuecrushing (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 02:59 PM   #8
Sleepless

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I've had the Perrin for quite a while, along with coil overs and a beefy strut brace. No NVH but you can definitely feel more in the steering wheel, including little bumps and rocks on the road. I like it. I got it to improve feel on the track. I probably wouldn't bother for street use. The strut brace made a bigger 'feel' difference on the street.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:05 PM   #9
stokeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
I've had the Perrin for quite a while, along with coil overs and a beefy strut brace. No NVH but you can definitely feel more in the steering wheel, including little bumps and rocks on the road. I like it. I got it to improve feel on the track. I probably wouldn't bother for street use. The strut brace made a bigger 'feel' difference on the street.
by strut brace, I assume you mean strut tower bar as they are sometimes called... if you don't mind, which strut brace are you running?
Old 08-04-2016, 07:39 PM   #10
Sleepless

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokeless View Post
by strut brace, I assume you mean strut tower bar as they are sometimes called... if you don't mind, which strut brace are you running?
I had the Hotchkis (sp?) and now have the AEM. Both work very well. Changed only because of later clearance issues.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:38 PM   #11
kuczynskika

Drives: Harrop TVS86 STi BRZ tS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokeless View Post
I've searched for the last two days and although, found some review, I need more input.

Which one would be better for DD? I don't plan to track but will enjoy spirited driving from time to time. Car is currently on ISC coilovers with no other suspension mod (camber is set to -2.2 f / -2.7r). Goal is to achieve more/better steering feel without an increase of NVH, if possible. I'm hoping for a straight forward installation, not a big fan of changing out bushings.

Both items are priced within reason... I was able to gather more on the Lockdown but not much on the Cusco stay brace.

Here's what I know:

Perrin Lockdown (pic below, red) - easy to install and really locks down steering feel but at an increase of NVH. According to some, the trade off is worth it, others, says the NVH increase is too much.

Cusco rack stay (pic below, blue) - easy to install and looks to be a good alternative to the Perrin lockdown, however, since it's bolted and connected from bolt to chassis, will the NVH increase? will this help with my goal?

Anyone with direct experience, please put in your 2 cents.
You might want to consider the longer STi bolts(see Japanparts) in conjunction with either set-up. These are considerably longer than OEM and may help with the feel you're looking for in your steering. @SPCorBUST has them installed with the Perrin lock-downs if I am correct? Check out his build thread.
kuczynskika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:15 AM   #12
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
$57 for two bolts, washers, and nuts :O

does having a longer bolt actually affect the feel of the steering? with the rack lockdown (Perrin at least) there shouldn't be any movement with everything tight so a longer bolt shouldn't be doing anything (unless you want that STI branding of course). maybe if the STI bolts were thicker as well so that it reduces slop in the stock setup, but still with the lockdown it shouldn't matter.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:42 AM   #13
kuczynskika

Drives: Harrop TVS86 STi BRZ tS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
$57 for two bolts, washers, and nuts :O

does having a longer bolt actually affect the feel of the steering? with the rack lockdown (Perrin at least) there shouldn't be any movement with everything tight so a longer bolt shouldn't be doing anything (unless you want that STI branding of course). maybe if the STI bolts were thicker as well so that it reduces slop in the stock setup, but still with the lockdown it shouldn't matter.
Yeah the conversion of USD to JPY is shit right now. Aint nobody been importing stuff lately.

See this thread around post 1469 for a comparison of the OEM and STI bolts. Regardless, longer bolts means more thread engagement and more stability. The STI also appear thicker. These function the same way as the lockdowns, but just do it in a different way. Both work and accomplish the same job.

These are on my to-do list of mods.
kuczynskika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:13 AM   #14
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
So, what you described is exactly NVH...
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
continuecrushing (08-05-2016)