follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 03-29-2015, 03:53 PM   #57
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks for having the balls and maturity to write about your mistake and the consequences of your decision to drive after drinking. Maybe, just maybe, it will save someone else the embarrassment and expense of going through a similar situation. Maybe it will save them from being involved in a tragic accident and save their or someone else's life.

Thanks for taking ownership of your mistake. Respect to you, sir.
DarrenDriven (03-29-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 09:58 PM   #58
DarrenDriven
NW Region Moderator

Drives: FR-S No More
Thanked 3,186 Times in 1,091 Posts
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Today, just weeks from finishing the diversion program, I received a notice in the mail that I must appear in court the next week. The notice stated that I had not paid my diversion fees ($490) and if I did not go to court an arrest warrant would be issued. I was headed to NY for over a week and wouldn't be in town for the court date! You've got to be kidding me... I was aware that to complete diversion I had to pay the fine, so that was no surprise, but I had yet to receive any kind of notification of when to pay it. I assumed that I had to pay it when I completed the program since nobody had said a word. Well, luckily I found a friendly clerk in the Multnomah County collections department and she took my payment over the phone and walked the receipt down to the court office. It was that easy, no more court date and no threat of arrest. It seems to me that simply telling me when I should pay the fine would be a lot easier than assigning me a court date and threatening me... but that is our system.

Almost done with this crap.... just a couple weeks to go!
DarrenDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:16 AM   #59
wrohdejr

Drives: 2013 subaru limited wrb brz
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Keep up the good work!

Portland 86ers
wrohdejr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wrohdejr For This Useful Post:
DarrenDriven (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 12:23 AM   #60
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenDriven View Post
Someone close to me was in a similar situation but missed the mailed warning. Lockdown's a bitch. Keep copies of those documents on your person in case The Man loses track of his. It is a very real possibility.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:35 AM   #61
brandonblt2
The Stig's African Cousin

Drives: 2014 wrb brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenDriven View Post
Today, just weeks from finishing the diversion program, I received a notice in the mail that I must appear in court the next week. The notice stated that I had not paid my diversion fees ($490) and if I did not go to court an arrest warrant would be issued. I was headed to NY for over a week and wouldn't be in town for the court date! You've got to be kidding me... I was aware that to complete diversion I had to pay the fine, so that was no surprise, but I had yet to receive any kind of notification of when to pay it. I assumed that I had to pay it when I completed the program since nobody had said a word. Well, luckily I found a friendly clerk in the Multnomah County collections department and she took my payment over the phone and walked the receipt down to the court office. It was that easy, no more court date and no threat of arrest. It seems to me that simply telling me when I should pay the fine would be a lot easier than assigning me a court date and threatening me... but that is our system.

Man I feel your pain I was in a similar situation had 3 beers waited 2 hours and drove home. Was pulled over for speeding passed all the field sobriety but was still arrested. Ended up beating the case and accepting a plea deal changing my charge from careless driving and dui to a reckless driving charge. Still ended up with a suspended license for 30 days, 500 dollars in fines, a yearly surcharge of 30 bucks for 3 years, 4500 for a lawyer, and 450 to pay my brother to drive me to work for a month. I ended up spending close to what you spent all in all.
brandonblt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brandonblt2 For This Useful Post:
DarrenDriven (11-24-2015)
Old 01-25-2016, 11:38 AM   #62
aaabbbccc

Drives: toyota
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thumbs down Lawyer Worth it?

I am in the same situation and thinking about the cost of the lawyer (looking into the same lawyer actually). Would you be able to go a bit into what he was able to do that assisted with your case? and if you would use the same lawyer again, go with a cheaper lawyer, no lawyer etc.

Thanks!
aaabbbccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #63
DarrenDriven
NW Region Moderator

Drives: FR-S No More
Thanked 3,186 Times in 1,091 Posts
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
It was a painful cost to bear, hiring a lawyer, but as someone who has been to traffic court many times in his life without a lawyer, I have personally witnessed the change in a judge's demeanor when a defendant brings a lawyer into the courtroom. Judges LISTEN to lawyers because they know they MUST abide to the letter of the law. I have made very sane arguments in traffic court only to have them swept aside and the conviction rubber stamped in seconds. I wasn't about to let something like that happen to me when much higher stakes were on the table.

Secondly, I didn't know what I was doing. I didn't know how to prioritize my defense, or even what to expect at all, and it was stressing me out big time. A stupid little mistake in what I said or did in court could unravel my life. For my sanity alone, having a lawyer allowed me to relax BIG time.

I would DEFINITELY go with Ben Eder again. He was friendly, knowledgeable and always just a quick email or text away when I had a question. Better yet? If he can't make it to court for some reason, HIS TWIN LAWYER BROTHER will go in his place. That's just cool.

My advice is that if you can afford a lawyer you should get one. It's possible that my outcome could have been exactly the same without a lawyer, but I'll never know. All I know is that I was able to smoothly make it through diversion and now this is all behind me. The cost of the lawyer was almost half of my total costs... which is painful to think about, but the alternative of screwing up in court could result in a $10,000 fine which would have been a much worse dimension to live in.
DarrenDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarrenDriven For This Useful Post:
PNW FRS (01-27-2016)