follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #85
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Isn't 170-183 too cool? I've always read and been told that around 200-220 was the optimum oil temps. 170-183 isn't hot enough to boil condensation out of the oil.

Does this oil cooler have a thermostat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadstyle View Post
Brandon, now that I have the updated parts I can wholeheartedly recommend this oil cooler. I took my car out the other day for 40 minutes of hard driving. Highest oil temp I saw was 183 and average around 170. I used to be at 225-235 every single day. 235-170 is a 65 degree difference!! I used to crave cool days as my car ran the best on those days. I honestly thought it was mainly due to denser air and lower IAT. Now I think it's a combination as my car feels so much more consistent and solid now.

Truly a believer in oil coolers for these cars!! Buy one man!! You need it down here trust me!!
mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #86
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
Isn't 170-183 too cool? I've always read and been told that around 200-220 was the optimum oil temps. 170-183 isn't hot enough to boil condensation out of the oil.

Does this oil cooler have a thermostat?
Good point, and I do not see a thermostat.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #87
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Good point, and I do not see a thermostat.
Does not have one.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #88
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I'm no expert, but if you don't have a thermostat, and your oil temps are at what you've said (170-183) this IMO is a big deal, and I'd look for one of those thermostat sandwich plates.

Too cool oil will not do what it's supposed to do, and probably will cause higher pressure than the system should run at.

Reading about our pressures here, cold idle pressures are crazy high, like 100-120psi, and drop to normal temps once the oil is hot.

On my old Porsche race car, it had similar cold oil pressures, and it had an oil cooler that was bigger than most intercoolers. I had to tape off 75% of the cooler to get temps above 200. I think in one of these pics you can see the taped off cooler.

This is something you might do if you don't want to buy the thermostat. Tape off part of the oil cooler until you hit your target temps. You can then adjust the % of taped off part for different times of the year.
Attached Images

mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mike the snake For This Useful Post:
exE36M3 (12-26-2014)
Old 03-10-2015, 11:00 PM   #89
Raven_FR-S

Drives: 13 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Alright let me throw my experience with @Mishimoto in here. I have have had my oil cooler and Radiator both from Mishimoto on for the last few weeks and Its been great. I see this thread was opened a while ago. So what ever issue you may have had may have been fixed by the time I got mine here in 2015. But Ive had nothing but great experiences with Mishimoto so far. Maybe @chadstyle you just got a bad guy on a bad day. I understand your frustration bud. But I'd contact them directly and Im sure you will find a solution. Thats not just Mishimoto, but really ANY company.

Mishimoto..."Do Yo Temps Stay Low, With the Throttle To Da Flo!!!
Raven_FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:29 AM   #90
JohnnyGT86

Drives: 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
@Mishimoto any chances on a kit with a thermostat?
JohnnyGT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:33 AM   #91
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_FR-S View Post
Alright let me throw my experience with @Mishimoto in here. I have have had my oil cooler and Radiator both from Mishimoto on for the last few weeks and Its been great. I see this thread was opened a while ago. So what ever issue you may have had may have been fixed by the time I got mine here in 2015. But Ive had nothing but great experiences with Mishimoto so far. Maybe @chadstyle you just got a bad guy on a bad day. I understand your frustration bud. But I'd contact them directly and Im sure you will find a solution. Thats not just Mishimoto, but really ANY company.
You do realize that he posted that in 2013, right? And that the OP hasn't posted since August of 2014?
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Koa (03-16-2015), SkAsphalt (03-11-2015)
Old 03-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #92
Mishimoto

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks for chiming in Raven! Great to hear you are enjoying our products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGT86 View Post
@Mishimoto any chances on a kit with a thermostat?
Absolutely! We launched our thermostatic kit some time ago, check it out below.

This sandwich plate incorporates an internal thermostat which regulates fluid temperatures at 185°F. We also have optional thermostats of 160°F and 200°F depending upon your needs.

If you are interested in picking this kit up, be sure to check with our vendors for the best available pricing. A simple Google search for the thermostatic part number (MMOC-BRZ-13T) should turn up a few online vendors offering this kit.

Let me know if I can answer any questions!

Thanks
-John
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mishimoto For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (04-13-2016), JohnnyGT86 (03-13-2015)
Old 03-13-2015, 11:47 PM   #93
Raven_FR-S

Drives: 13 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
@Mishimoto Anytime! I love the product and have used these products on a previous build. 95 Talon TSI and I loved the help, and customer care that I got with you guys. No problems what-so-ever!!! That is why I had to join in on this thread to state that Ive never had issues and that our guy here that had an issue just got the wrong guy at the wrong time. I'm sure you guys found a way to fix ways with him. I wouldn't expect less from you.

In other words, that bronze sandwich plate looks a bit cleaner than the silver that is on mine. I wish I would have ordered that to begin with!

Mishimoto..."Do Yo Temps Stay Low, With the Throttle To Da Flo!!!
Raven_FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:41 PM   #94
Mishimoto

Quote:
@Mishimoto Anytime! I love the product and have used these products on a previous build. 95 Talon TSI and I loved the help, and customer care that I got with you guys. No problems what-so-ever!!! That is why I had to join in on this thread to state that Ive never had issues and that our guy here that had an issue just got the wrong guy at the wrong time. I'm sure you guys found a way to fix ways with him. I wouldn't expect less from you.

In other words, that bronze sandwich plate looks a bit cleaner than the silver that is on mine. I wish I would have ordered that to begin with!
Thanks! Great to hear. Let me know if you ever want to upgrade to the thermostatic unit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mishimoto For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (04-13-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 08:27 AM   #95
ajc209

Drives: GT86 Cosworth
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
@Mishimoto

I am using the banjos and silver sandwich plate for my custom Oil Cooler and I noticed one of the Banjos was leaking oil. Turns out both Banjos had worked their way loose after about 1000 road miles and a trackday.

I contacted my local Mishimoto UK tech support and was told use PTFE or Threadlock (my suggestion).

They both seal fine when torqued up properly.

I am happy to use threadlock but is that a proper fix for this or are the parts at fault?

ajc209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:27 AM   #96
chadstyle

Drives: 2013 Subaru BR-Z Limited
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:

Sorry, I don't frequent these forums much lately as someone commented below.

I did comment in this thread that @Mishimoto did resolve the issue with an updated part. They sent a revised sandwich plate with an updated o-ring design and (knock on wood) the setup has performed flawlessly ever since. I've had the kit for nearly 3 years and 20k miles and some track days as well. I have managed to separate the bracket from the oil cooler slightly and need to fill out their warranty claim form but there hasn't been any oil leaks and I don't want to be down a car while the part is out for warranty so it's been low on my priority list.

I left this thread in tact as I had a bad experience and it was due to the supplied parts, not a tech screwing up. Above that, Mishimoto made it right and got it resolved and I wanted potential customers to see that the company stood behind the product and supported me as a customer.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:47 AM   #97
Mishimoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadstyle View Post
Sorry, I don't frequent these forums much lately as someone commented below.

I did comment in this thread that @Mishimoto did resolve the issue with an updated part. They sent a revised sandwich plate with an updated o-ring design and (knock on wood) the setup has performed flawlessly ever since. I've had the kit for nearly 3 years and 20k miles and some track days as well. I have managed to separate the bracket from the oil cooler slightly and need to fill out their warranty claim form but there hasn't been any oil leaks and I don't want to be down a car while the part is out for warranty so it's been low on my priority list.

I left this thread in tact as I had a bad experience and it was due to the supplied parts, not a tech screwing up. Above that, Mishimoto made it right and got it resolved and I wanted potential customers to see that the company stood behind the product and supported me as a customer.
Thanks for the kind words! We definitely stand behind our products and I'm glad that we were able to help you sort that out.

Thanks,
-Gardiner
The Following User Says Thank You to Mishimoto For This Useful Post:
nos145 (11-14-2017)
Old 04-28-2016, 11:55 AM   #98
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
So its safe now with it?