follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #15
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesperswe View Post
Sounds really fucked up if it was a blown engine due to ECU flash failure.
One of the things you can do when you have both the exhaust and intake cams in VVT is this concept of valve overlap. It should never happen but I wonder if the valves are actually touching each other when an engine gets blown like this?

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #16
ruskymx

Drives: 13 HotLava FRS, 93 4Runner, 97 Taco
Damn! That sucks man...I hope Subaru takes care of you. As far as the CarFax goes, I'm 95% sure that it WILL show on there. My dealership has unlimited CarFax so you can go to our website and see the CarFax on every used car listed. As long as the work was done at a dealer or another larger business, it shows what was done. Our used cars will show that we changed oil, filters, brakes, rotors, wiper blades, etc. I have seen transmission replaced on them already. It was on a Dodge of some sort, shocking, I know....

My opinion, I would push for a new car since you barely have any mileage on it. The more mileage a car has, the harder this is, but it's worth a shot for anyone.

Ruskymx
ruskymx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #17
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Who did the original warranty work? Was it Competition Subaru (I believe that's where you bought your car, right?)
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #18
Coheed

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
Having a dealer installed engine isn't likely to impact resale. If you had a 3rd party do it... yeah I'd be weary. But it sounds like they are willing to take care of you. I would go with the new engine. Perhaps they can throw in some clear bra lol.

I would take what I could get. Wait listed peeps are waiting 6 months from here on out to get one on order. Or you could wait for an allocation to come available and hope its got the right color/trans/options etc.

Having a new engine put in isn't a big deal. It's a day's work at the dealer and its back on the road.
Coheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #19
Those Meddling Kids

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ limited
This has me worried that the real root cause of this issue is oil pressure and not the cam gears or the ECU. If there is not enough oil pressure to activate the sprocket then it would throw these codes. Subaru had a LOT of 2009 wrx's with blown up motors from low oil pressure.
Those Meddling Kids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Those Meddling Kids For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (10-06-2012), Sigh-on-Rice (10-05-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #20
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Meddling Kids View Post
This has me worried that the real root cause of this issue is oil pressure and not the cam gears or the ECU. If there is not enough oil pressure to activate the sprocket then it would throw these codes. Subaru had a LOT of 2009 wrx's with blown up motors from low oil pressure.
Do you know what the engine code was for the 2009 wrx motor?

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #21
Those Meddling Kids

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ limited
Most of them never got a CEL- they just developed rod knock. Here's a thread about it: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1695936
Those Meddling Kids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Those Meddling Kids For This Useful Post:
Sigh-on-Rice (10-06-2012)
Old 10-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #22
Eurasianman
Chief

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Hopefully your dealership actually reports the work they did on your car to Carfax. Then again, from what I have hard, the dealership/service department is not forced by law to report this to Carfax. My 2010 Cobalt SS had the turbo replaced, e-brake replaced, rear brake pads replaced twice, and some other stuff. I got my oil changed there all the time. Guess what came up on Carfax. It showed my car had 28,000 miles and never was taken into service.

Back on topic: Hope things work out for the best for you man. I just went by my Subaru dealership and he told me he has 10 people on the waiting list for a BRZ and probably won't get one until Spring 2013.

Eurasianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #23
P_Nasty

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Asphault
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
500 Miles CEL/Idle Hunting

Okay so this is my first post in a forum so don't slaughter me if this is in the wrong place or i sound like an idiot... I plan on learning how to be a member of this forum especially since I'm at my wits end with this CEL issue.

I was wondering if anyone has contacted Scion or heard of any kind of compensation people with this issue are receiving?

I got real lucky with the purchase of my New/Used FR-S (or so I thought)...

An old man came into the Toyota dealer a week before me and purchased an FR-S manual, put 326 miles on it and decided he'd rather have an automatic and traded it in.

So with that being said I think I bought the first used FR-S with 300 miles on it "STOKED"!!!! I wanted to find the old man and give him a hug for taking that inital new car price drop for me.

Now to the meat and potatoes... I had the car for 4 days and put about 200 miles on it and now it's in the shop with the CEL and TC light on and for an unknown amount of time until a new computer comes in. (Thank GOD for warranties). The dealer tells me that the part is on "INTERGALACTIC BACKORDER" FML.

No estimation of when it will be fixed or even when the part will come in. They initially almost put me in a Prius rental and I said F-Off and waited for something else and they gave me a Carolla S which i thought would be better but turns out to be incredibly slow... so i returned it and they put me in a Toyota Tacoma which is sufficient but still sad... I WANT MY CAR BACK OR COMPENSATION FOR THIS INSULT.

I called Scion and opened a case but have to wait till Tuesday for my "Case Manager" to contact me... all i can do is sit and play the waiting game but want to have some amo when I speak with them as to what has been done for other people that are having this issue.

Any word or feedback would be much appreciated...
P_Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #24
egraphic

Drives: Blue Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Nasty View Post

I recommend that you read this complete thread - it will answer all of your questions. It may not make you happy, but it will give you a full picture of the range of issues and solutions people have experienced.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15577

Best of luck!
egraphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #25
sho220

Drives: FR-S MT & FJ Cruiser
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskymx View Post
It was on a Dodge of some sort, shocking, I know....
haha...bashing a Dodge transmission problem in a thread about Toyota/Subaru engines blowing up. Oh, the irony...

sho220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #26
sho220

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Nasty View Post
Okay so this is my first post in a forum so don't slaughter me if this is in the wrong place or i sound like an idiot... I plan on learning how to be a member of this forum especially since I'm at my wits end with this CEL issue.

I was wondering if anyone has contacted Scion or heard of any kind of compensation people with this issue are receiving?

I got real lucky with the purchase of my New/Used FR-S (or so I thought)...

An old man came into the Toyota dealer a week before me and purchased an FR-S manual, put 326 miles on it and decided he'd rather have an automatic and traded it in.

So with that being said I think I bought the first used FR-S with 300 miles on it "STOKED"!!!! I wanted to find the old man and give him a hug for taking that inital new car price drop for me.

Now to the meat and potatoes... I had the car for 4 days and put about 200 miles on it and now it's in the shop with the CEL and TC light on and for an unknown amount of time until a new computer comes in. (Thank GOD for warranties). The dealer tells me that the part is on "INTERGALACTIC BACKORDER" FML.

No estimation of when it will be fixed or even when the part will come in. They initially almost put me in a Prius rental and I said F-Off and waited for something else and they gave me a Carolla S which i thought would be better but turns out to be incredibly slow... so i returned it and they put me in a Toyota Tacoma which is sufficient but still sad... I WANT MY CAR BACK OR COMPENSATION FOR THIS INSULT.

I called Scion and opened a case but have to wait till Tuesday for my "Case Manager" to contact me... all i can do is sit and play the waiting game but want to have some amo when I speak with them as to what has been done for other people that are having this issue.

I would accept nothing less than 1 million dollars compensation. This is an outrage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #27
ruskymx

Drives: 13 HotLava FRS, 93 4Runner, 97 Taco
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
haha...bashing a Dodge transmission problem in a thread about Toyota/Subaru engines blowing up. Oh, the irony...
Dodge had years to fix the problems though. This car has only been out for a few months and I did expect some quirks etc, but engines grenading is a tad bit more than a quirk. I though the first we would read about that would be in a turbo thread where someone pushed the envelope a little too much. Makes me even more confident in my decision to lease it. 2015MY should have everything worked out by its release...hopefully

Ruskymx
ruskymx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #28
sho220

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskymx View Post
Dodge had years to fix the problems though.
Toyota has had over 5 years to figure out why their FJ Cruisers are literally ripping themselves apart (google "FJ Cruiser body rips") and it seems the problem still persists.

So far, so good for me though! Over 125k miles on my '07 and no rips!