follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 09-03-2013, 03:39 AM   #1079
mrlizard

Drives: BT50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wow really nzer by reading all your post i thought you were an expert at all this stuff.
mrlizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:47 AM   #1080
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlizard View Post
Wow really nzer by reading all your post i thought you were an expert at all this stuff.
LOL. I have learned a lot from this thread and lots of PMs and emails with @2forme and @GreenPants and @Ghostmerlott

Even rooted and installed one for a mate.

Seriously, I don't work with electronics and don't use android (I'm an apple man) but I managed to do this so I'm sure you can too.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:56 AM   #1081
GreenPants

Drives: Burnt Orange GT86
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
None of the changes I made to the TUN21 firmware were T7019a specific, so you should be good to go - but does anyone that has actually tried it on a TUN21 what to chime in to confirm?
GreenPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #1082
advocate007

Drives: 2013 Series 10 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPants View Post
1) The built-in OEM apps (Video, Music, Radio) are specific to the headunit. They tie in directly to the audio's hardware subsystem and get special treatment by the OS. AFAIK, these are the only apps that will start by default. You may be able to do the three-second-exit-app trick to prevent these from starting up, and you may even be able to get Android to run an app at startup (although I don't recall anything except perhaps a homescreen widget from doing so), but then you run into the problem that the amplifier hardware isn't configured to allow the Android audio stream (You always seem to have to use the built-in music or video app to 'prime' the audio).

2) As mentioned, the custom OEM apps are special. I believe that they directly use the audio hardware subsystem. The audio subsystem has at least a radio-in, android-audio-in and dvd-audio-in, and the custom apps *switch* between them. All other apps 'share' the Android-audio-in - which can only be heard when running the video or music app. When you switch to radio, all the Android app's audio simply get muted/switched off. The only exception to this I know of is the Navi app, which will get mixed in with the Music/Video/Radio app if/when it makes a sound - and it has been done that way to allow the nav guidance commands to be heard. You can set the 'Navi' application to any Android app you want, and it will be mixed in with the Radio.

3) Trick question, right? Run the EQ app and on the car interior, move the button in the middle left-right to pan or forward-back to fade. On the 86, the rear speakers are pathetic though, and even fully faded to the back you'll struggle to hear them.
In regards to your second point I cant get Torque speech alarms to work I get no audio from torque what so ever even if I have all my other apps closed off. Is there a reason for that and is there a work around/Fix.

Any input is appreciated.
advocate007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:12 AM   #1083
mrlizard

Drives: BT50
Just about to order the TUN21 and just a few question on the very top line of the specs it says
Optional: DVB-T/ISDB-T: 40USD ATSC: 55USD What the hell are they and do i really need them ??
Also right down the bottom it has
Magnetic Digital TV antenna(optional) do i need this as well ??

Thanks
mrlizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #1084
GreenPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate007 View Post
In regards to your second point I cant get Torque speech alarms to work I get no audio from torque what so ever even if I have all my other apps closed off. Is there a reason for that and is there a work around/Fix.

Any input is appreciated.
I would suggest starting the Music or Video app (but not playing anything), then press the Home button and then run Torque.

Alternatively, try setting Torque as the app associated with the Navi button - in which case I expect it to mix in the audio with the Radio as required.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:01 AM   #1085
GreenPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlizard View Post
Just about to order the TUN21 and just a few question on the very top line of the specs it says
Optional: DVB-T/ISDB-T: 40USD ATSC: 55USD What the hell are they and do i really need them ??
Also right down the bottom it has
Magnetic Digital TV antenna(optional) do i need this as well ??

Thanks
Digital TV Adapters. If you don't want to watch TV on the headunit, you don't need em. ATSC would be for the US I believe, DVB-T for NZ, and probably Europe. ISDB-T for Japan and S. America (from memory - double check with a google for your country). Not sure about Oz - think DVB-T as well.

Obviously, you only need the digital TV antenna if you buy a digital TV adapter.

Out of the box, you may be able to pick up analog TV. Not sure because a) I have a T7019a, not a TUN21 and b) no more analog TV signal down in the South Island anymore.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #1086
SpeedLab

Drives: White
Has anyone had any luck using a 4g dongle? I know the cheap-o 3g dongles work, but 4g is the way to go. Thanks!
Old 09-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #1087
advocate007

Drives: 2013 Series 10 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPants View Post
I would suggest starting the Music or Video app (but not playing anything), then press the Home button and then run Torque.

Alternatively, try setting Torque as the app associated with the Navi button - in which case I expect it to mix in the audio with the Radio as required.
Thanks GreenPants but none of what you suggested worked still no audio from Torque, Weirdest thing! is anyone else having this issue.

Thanks
advocate007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:48 AM   #1088
ft_sjo
Banned

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Would anyone be so kind as to summarise which head units are under discussion in this thread now, with photos of each one and their respective model/part number? I've had a look through ebay and a lot of them don't list the model number. Thanks!
ft_sjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:01 AM   #1089
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_sjo View Post
Would anyone be so kind as to summarise which head units are under discussion in this thread now, with photos of each one and their respective model/part number? I've had a look through ebay and a lot of them don't list the model number. Thanks!
T7019A here - Toyota plug and play - fits FRS/86 and BRZ with no modification
http://www.tradesolution.hk/e/ptxweb...duct/1274.html

TUN21A - requires dash kit and wiring stuff
http://www.tradesolution.hk/e/ptxweb...duct/1265.html

Photos and specs on the links.

I have not found the same ones on eBay and the vendor notes that it is cheaper through their website than eBay anyway.

Most of us bought through this site.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #1090
Ibbyman87

Drives: Lancer
TUN21A

Hey guys I have been trying to root my new head unit so I can install torque and have it work with a blue tooth obdII. I have the resistive head unit and I downloaded all the files and unzipped them from the start of this thread. I followed the procedures and received the success message for each file followed by the touchscreen calibration.

My question is should the superuser app now be visible in app drawer to know if unit is rooted? ( I dont see the app)

Thanks
Ibbyman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:51 AM   #1091
GreenPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibbyman87 View Post
My question is should the superuser app now be visible in app drawer to know if unit is rooted? ( I dont see the app)

Thanks
Not sure if I'd call it an 'app drawer', but yes, it should be listed in the main list of apps (not to be confused with the desktops). I can't check mine right now, but it should be called something like 'Superuser' or 'SuperSU'.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:18 AM   #1092
jx86

Drives: -
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Are they any functions of the T7019A that do not work with just the three harnesses out of the box? I'm reading all these things about antenna booster and whatnot and I'm beginning to worry FM radio and even the door speakers won't work without some modifications. I'm also curious to know if the head unit can connect to ELM327 and my phone at the same time. Can anybody shed light on this?

I just got mine with plans to run torque app (quick thanks to OP and everybody involved in the development) and also to have a reverse camera. +all the other benefits of Android.
jx86 is offline   Reply With Quote