follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 06-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #57
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_sjo View Post
Contrary to popular belief, the MAF sensor doesn't 'add more fuel'. The ECU does, based on load readings. If the tables in the ECU are not scaled for those higher MAF readings, then you'll go lean and eventually misfire. That's if something doesn't melt first.
Or you'll go into a limp mode.

Also, another hurdle will with the factory MAP sensor. The ECU might go into a limp mode if it sees a positive manifold pressure.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #58
Whitigir
Banned

Drives: 450 awhp twin turbo vr4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
Automakers are notoriously slow to adopt new technology to cars. Direct injection has been around for decades and is only now seeing widespread use on cars. Does it not work? Turbos were in use in aviation for many years before they were put on cars. Do they not work?
A wise man once said, "it is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." Take his advice.
You are correct as when you put technology in all of the fields. Space and aviation technology are always a head of Automotive.

Has there been any Electrical FI in Space technology or Airplane ?

There would be, I logically think. But it gotta be HUGE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitigir View Post

4/ Manufacturers had been looking for alternative solutions beside actual Turbos, and SC systems. But why dont you see anything in racing, or produced by them ? It doesnt work. Technically it works for a short time, but do you drive for only 15 minutes every day at constant 2000 rpm ?

5/ when a manufacturers dont produce something = because of cost, if it cost too much and they r more likely to lose profit, they wont produce. But they will put it in Concept, or Race car to let the world knows of their capability. But when all Auto makers dont...that means it doesnt work! Show me one auto maker that have this similar electric system ?

Look at #4 what I said. Please read it first before you want to correct something. I said it works, but it is not Practical enough to be made (reliability aside)

Actually, I should not argue over this. I may be that stupid person who rely on the Present Facts and Logics to say it is not efficient to be in a car. The op here, or someone may invent it in the future, but I know for decades, it has not Worked in a car as it should.

Then I would kindly ask you, base on what do you bring about your arguments ? why should it work in efficiently in an automotive engine ?

Last edited by Whitigir; 06-23-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Whitigir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #59
Gixxersixxerman

Drives: Toyota GT86, 66 beetle, 11 GSXR 750
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitigir View Post
You are correct as when you put technology in all of the fields. Space and aviation technology are always a head of Automotive.

Has there been any Electrical FI in Space technology or Airplane ?

There would be, I logically think. But it gotta be HUGE!

Look at #4 what I said. Please read it first before you want to correct something. I said it works, but it is not Practical enough to be made (reliability aside)

I believe he is going to show you one here in the next week or so lol

Do you know about brushless motors, the torque and power of one.. I think it's been stated multiple times that this most likely won't give anything up top.. But the big snail boosted a chevy V8 I believe and that gulps a lot of air.. If this get rid of the torque dip and adds some down low, it might just be what some people want..

Also as you stated this isn't your native language, maybe you missed the part that this is only active under wide open throttle.. So the point you bring up about how much of a restriction is valid, which is something I'm wondering about.. Maybe it free spoils easily enough not to be to restrictive.. Just like putting a vacuum hose to the discharge end of a turbo you can hear it "spoil" maybe this won't be to bad.. So cruising any amount of time doesn't matter as the system isn't active.. Just under WOT
Gixxersixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #60
Whitigir
Banned

Drives: 450 awhp twin turbo vr4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxersixxerman View Post
I believe he is going to show you one here in the next week or so lol

Do you know about brushless motors, the torque and power of one.. I think it's been stated multiple times that this most likely won't give anything up top.. But the big snail boosted a chevy V8 I believe and that gulps a lot of air.. If this get rid of the torque dip and adds some down low, it might just be what some people want..

Also as you stated this isn't your native language, maybe you missed the part that this is only active under wide open throttle.. So the point you bring up about how much of a restriction is valid, which is something I'm wondering about.. Maybe it free spoils easily enough not to be to restrictive.. Just like putting a vacuum hose to the discharge end of a turbo you can hear it "spoil" maybe this won't be to bad.. So cruising any amount of time doesn't matter as the system isn't active.. Just under WOT
I would love to see the result.

I know for the same principle of WOT or some forms of assistance to the turbo is being Worked on by Subaru, they already Patented it.

Hybrid turbo from SUbaru

1/ Turbo is built with the shaft being housed inside as a shaft of the electric motor, the turbos still have wheel attach to the exhaust, and turbine to the intake.

2/ eMotor will assist the turbo at sudden WOT, or when turbo isn't spinning fast enough, or until the Turbo is Self-Sufficient, and then the turbo is working as the regular turbo, and the eMotor is cut off. This will spin the Turbo immediately and eliminate turbo lag.

3/ eMotor will use the charge off the battery and or regenerative brakes, may even have it's own battery.

4/ if the Battery is low, the turbo will act as a regular turbo, with turbo lag

Now that is the perfect of both worlds, a Turbo that is built in a house of an eMotor. I don't know much about it, or detail, but it is how it supposed to work.
Whitigir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #61
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_sjo View Post
Contrary to popular belief, the MAF sensor doesn't 'add more fuel'. The ECU does, based on load readings. If the tables in the ECU are not scaled for those higher MAF readings, then you'll go lean and eventually misfire. That's if something doesn't melt first.
100 percent agree. It's easier to explain to people that the maf will add fuel when in reality that maf airflow is tracked per engine rpm and that results in engine load. The engine load level has timings associated to it. If the scale doesn't go high enough you are correct it will go lean.

The thing that I think we may see is the timing will be too high for the load levels experienced. The engine will be able to retard the timing but we don't want it to be retarding out of necessity.

Don't worry I want to do this right too!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #62
fenton

Map sensor is 1.5 bar. It can see up to 5psi and deal with it. We will not be boosting more than 5 psi, it is impossible in this setup we have.

The Following User Says Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
Calum (06-23-2013)
Old 06-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #63
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Map sensor is 1.5 bar. It can see up to 5psi and deal with it. We will not be boosting more than 5 psi, it is impossible in this setup we have.

Stock ecu is capped at 200g/s maf reading.. beyond that the ecu will not increase load any further and (since you will be stuck and an artificially lower load) you will go lean and have too much timing advance as @ft_sjo stated. Stock maf scaling is good for 260g/s but the load cap table is 200g/s. I hit about 160g/s max NA with a couple bolt on partss, so you may or may not run into the cap. I think you should be aware of it though weather you hit it or not.

There is also a load cap table that limits load to a max of 1.3 g/rev in stock form (I hit and hold 1.2g/rev from midrange and up):
RPM Load Limit (g/rev)
800 0.880
1000 0.900
1200 0.890
2000 0.920
2200 0.920
2400 1.070
2500 1.110
3000 1.100
3200 1.300

I think your going to need a tuning solution if you want to do this correctly
Old 06-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #64
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
Stock ecu is capped at 200g/s maf reading.. beyond that the ecu will not increase load any further and (since you will be stuck and an artificially lower load) you will go lean and have too much timing advance as @ft_sjo stated. Stock maf scaling is good for 260g/s but the load cap table is 200g/s. I hit about 160g/s max NA with a couple bolt on partss, so you may or may not run into the cap. I think you should be aware of it though weather you hit it or not.

There is also a load cap table that limits load to a max of 1.3 g/rev in stock form (I hit and hold 1.2g/rev from midrange and up):
RPM Load Limit (g/rev)
800 0.880
1000 0.900
1200 0.890
2000 0.920
2200 0.920
2400 1.070
2500 1.110
3000 1.100
3200 1.300

I think your going to need a tuning solution if you want to do this correctly
Thanks you very much for this information. I have Visconti stage 1 and I believe he increases the scale on the maf and gets rid of all load limits.

We will have a tuner on site for the dyno :-)

Old 06-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #65
post_break
Professional Smartass

Drives: White Out FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Garage
Everyone is going to be eating their words when the dyno results come in. Or OP will disappear when it doesn't work. Until then I'm going to be positive and hope it works out.
post_break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #66
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
In for more info
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #67
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by post_break View Post
Everyone is going to be eating their words when the dyno results come in. Or OP will disappear when it doesn't work. Until then I'm going to be positive and hope it works out.
Promise I won't disappear. I will be posting the results. Good or bad.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #68
chadstyle

Drives: 2013 Subaru BR-Z Limited
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Promise I won't disappear. I will be posting the results. Good or bad.

I think you will make gains without a doubt IF you can boost anywhere close to 5 PSi as you mentioned this setup is capped at. When will you be completing the install? Will you be posting pics along the way?

Again, good luck!
Old 06-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #69
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I've said it multiple times, but too many people don't seem to get it. This is not meant to compete with full time FI systems. The closest comparison is a NOS system that never has to be refilled.
The developer's web page makes it clear that it worked on the other two vehicles he tried it on because their computers had enough extra capacity in their fuel/timing tables to be able to adjust to the max airflow of the device. If the system doesn't work on an 86 platform it will be because the base program can't compensate, not because the turbo doesn't deliver the promised airflow. This is a real turbo with the drive side replaced with an electric motor, not a computer fan or a landscape blower stuck under the hood.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mid_life_crisis For This Useful Post:
Calum (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #70
nonicname
Banned

Drives: it has 4 wheels and a motor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
why is this activated only at full throttle?
aren't there any benefits at partial throttle or even pressure according to
how much you press the gas pedal?
nonicname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive