follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-01-2015, 04:33 PM   #15
Hyper4mance2k
Shadetree Project Ratchet

Drives: series.Blue
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
That level of data is far, far beyond CSG's budget, so it won't be happening, at least, not from us.

The harmonic frequency analysis is so obvious that a quantified log isn't necessary. It's THAT obvious.
Agreed. I was just stating that people aren't going to get "dyno numbers." This is one of those mods that you have to feel to believe. Most people on this site think they want this, but it's not going to help their hella stance moarlow status.
Captain Snooze (07-20-2015), CSG Mike (07-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 05:09 PM   #16
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankenstein View Post
Well put!

It's not going to prevent your front subframe from sliding around, because it's not currently sliding around.

The front subframe is rigidly attached, but from people's pictures, it isn't always well-centered. Precisely aligning the mounting points will make your geometry more symmetric. That's a good thing (except for your alignment tech who can't use this as adjustment anymore). 1 mm can be a big distance when you're talking about finicky suspension points.

These collars are very unlikely to hurt performance... but there's no guarantee they will help significantly either. The value that a resonant frequency shift presents is up to you.
This assumes that the holes in both pieces are so precisely located that centered is going to be perfect. Again I see the possibility for fault with this line if thinking. One of the reasons for the large holes is to allow for tolerances in the manufacturing process. Without the large holes on a small number of cars it wouldn't be possible to center the subframe. Unless the tolerances for a subframe have decreased significantly.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (07-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 05:21 PM   #17
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper4mance2k View Post
Agreed. I was just stating that people aren't going to get "dyno numbers." This is one of those mods that you have to feel to believe. Most people on this site think they want this, but it's not going to help their hella stance moarlow status.
Brah, it's one more sticker to add to the roll call - Rigid Collars.

I am also skeptical of these rigid collars as well, hopefully if the CSG GP comes through, i can give my invaluable inputs.
Calum (07-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 05:41 PM   #18
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
My car drones more than before. When it had stock suspension, the ride quality was validated by the aging grandparents while driving over cobblestones. Yes I was a **** at the time, but they asked if something happened to the car to make it more comfortable. So yes...it does work, but now my car (zero sound deadening material from the factory) drones more. FML
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
Calum (07-01-2015), Hyper4mance2k (07-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 05:46 PM   #19
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
This assumes that the holes in both pieces are so precisely located that centered is going to be perfect. Again I see the possibility for fault with this line if thinking. One of the reasons for the large holes is to allow for tolerances in the manufacturing process. Without the large holes on a small number of cars it wouldn't be possible to center the subframe. Unless the tolerances for a subframe have decreased significantly.
Every features has tolerances, and the stack-up is probably quite significant, given how many parts that bolt goes through.

On top of that... the hole size needs to allow for decent alignment after a certain amount of frame damage/bending. I wouldn't be surprised if there were validation requirement for serviceable structural members. Something like "Subject 6 DUTs to 30 mph front-end collisions. Remove and reinstall the structural member 10 times. Insertion force shall be less than 20 lbs. Torque required to fully mate the component to each mounting surface shall not exceed 80% of torque specified in the service manual."

I'm curious how much "serviceability" is designed into our vehicles, because Toyota has quite the reputation... and it's probably not a coincidence. "Design for Serviceability" seems like it must be someone's job there.
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shankenstein For This Useful Post:
Calum (07-01-2015), Hyper4mance2k (07-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 06:09 PM   #20
Hyper4mance2k

Forget it... I'm just going to super glue everything on my car together!!
Calum (07-20-2015), CSG David (07-01-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 07:13 PM   #21
Fastbrew

Drives: 2014 Pearl White BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I can almost get my car to hit The Brown Note. How? If I accelerate hard in 3rd gear at around 3500 while playing dub on the OEM Audio + Reference. Normally I would downshift. However - if I do the above - the entire car - turbo/Perrin 3"/etc - will sync up and vibrate. I am afraid Rigicolas would send it over the edge. Good thing I took out the sound tube ages ago or else my passenger side clean-up would be astronomical. Say - I wonder if I could collect all these harmonies and run them back into the turbo for some Brown Boosts? Hmmmm.....
Fastbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fastbrew For This Useful Post:
Calum (07-20-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 11:34 AM   #22
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Quote:
Forget it... I'm just going to super glue everything on my car together!!
I guess you`d be surprised to find out that some high-end cars are riveted AND glued from factory actually...
Old 11-03-2015, 01:33 AM   #23
Hyper4mance2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokinbird87 View Post
I guess you`d be surprised to find out that some high-end cars are riveted AND glued from factory actually...
Yes I know that. Eg. Elise, Exige, F40, etc.. I'm no spring chicken. I think your satire meter is broken.
wparsons (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 09:41 AM   #24
GeorgeJFrick

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited LR
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It's hard for a lot of us to purchase something based on "It's THAT obvious". Some people make similar statements about Megan coil-overs. While it may be outside of budget to provide any numbers; there needs to be some kind of compromise in communicating the benefits with factual statements.
GeorgeJFrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:37 AM   #25
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Quote:
Yes I know that. Eg. Elise, Exige, F40, etc.. I'm no spring chicken. I think your satire meter is broken.
hehe damn I wanted to be sarcastic on top of your sarcasm but i failed... yea it`s pretty amazing how stiff those cars are with the chassis glued...
Old 11-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #26
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJFrick View Post
It's hard for a lot of us to purchase something based on "It's THAT obvious". Some people make similar statements about Megan coil-overs. While it may be outside of budget to provide any numbers; there needs to be some kind of compromise in communicating the benefits with factual statements.
I dont think it`ll improve your lap time by x amount so if you`re after that this is not the mod for you. when making the purchasing decision on the BRZ, I pretty much gave up on having "the fastest car" (traded in my wrx for the brz) but really just enjoying the feel of the car (this is also why I value the first gen NSX so much...). For sure the rigid collars isn't going to make you go faster around a track but it makes my driving experience so much more enjoyable and for that the price is not too bad in my opinion. However, I do understand that there are people out there that need to quantify x amount of dollar spent = x amount of performance, and as I have said before, there are better mods for that for the amount of money you will spend on this part. I can see the argument from both sides really. It all depends on what your goal is with your car.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #27
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
^^ Not that you're wrong, but better feel might give you the confidence to push harder on a more consistent basis, which will make you faster in the end.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-04-2015), Hyper4mance2k (11-04-2015), mokinbird87 (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 04:45 PM   #28
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
^^ Not that you're wrong, but better feel might give you the confidence to push harder on a more consistent basis, which will make you faster in the end.
I`m a firm believer of that philosophy.