follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Arizona

User Tag List
JonMotoring

Old 11-20-2015, 02:00 AM   #29569
RenegadeRukus

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsides View Post
Attachment 125414

Sent from ARIZONA86 HQ
What's the difference in this v.s. Tomei/Borla/-insert brand-
Price
Power
CEL issues
Etc.

Or is it just new?

Arizona Overdrive is on Facebook also
RenegadeRukus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:41 AM   #29570
jeffsides
AZ FRS 86

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffsides
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448124086.442541.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  200.8 KBregistrations are open. I registered for Sunday the 13th

Sent from ARIZONA86 HQ
Old 11-22-2015, 12:30 PM   #29571
Kwise1

Drives: Raven FRS
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448213409.089612.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  225.8 KB
Is anyone going?
Kwise1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:30 PM   #29572
Dallen
Boooooosted

Drives: Turbo FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Yep^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2015, 12:31 PM   #29573
jeffsides
AZ FRS 86

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwise1 View Post
Attachment 125627
Is anyone going?

I went to the Tucson one. I'm waiting for No Fly Zone 🚗💨

Sent from ARIZONA86 HQ
Old 11-23-2015, 11:21 PM   #29574
RenegadeRukus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeRukus View Post
Price
Power
CEL issues
Etc.

Or is it just new?

Nothing on this huh...?

Old 11-23-2015, 11:24 PM   #29575
jeffsides
AZ FRS 86

Garage
Quote:
Nothing on this huh...?

Not sure

Sent from ARIZONA86 HQ
Old 11-24-2015, 08:16 AM   #29576
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Price
Power
CEL issues
Etc.

Or is it just new?
It was one of the first headers released. It is an equal length. Almost every header will "almost" always throw a CEL when it is catless (the above header is catless). Anti foulers are hit and miss. The ECU might work fine for 2,000 miles and then randomly throw one.

I have never done a back to back stock vs header dyno with the agency power header. And most people I have seen never get a dyno with it so I don't have much to compare it to power wise but the cars I do remember working with were mostly supercharged etc and it never really stood out. It cost currently $50 more than the JDL UEL which is hand made here in arizona (currently on sale for $600 iirc).

The tomei is made by gruppe-s, you may as well skip the middle man and go straight to gruppe-s for their UEL as its the exact same header with a different logo on it. You can get it + OP for 580 shipped iirc (they were recently on sale). Great header, it will throw a CEL just like the rest. The runner length is stronger in the lower RPM than the JDL. (you also get more of a metallic "wush" sound in the mid rpm range on theirs). The JDL has a slightly stronger top end on average from what I have seen (I have only dyno tuned one gruppe-s lately) but the JDL is hand made with a life time warranty..

The UEL header's make the same power as an EL header realistically, and typically even more than most of the EL out there and give a deeper exhaust tone due to pulse collision. I would only run an EL on a turbo BRZ/FRS personally. I think this engine sounds like complete ass..

Right now is an awesome time to get a header. Everyone is having a sale, and there are finally cheaper price points. JDL is finally down almost half the price they used to be and if anything the quality of their header has gone up. And now that Gruppe-s is selling directly here in the US there is another cheaper option that has pretty consistent quality

As for borla? Unless you get a brand new one... The flex joints break, the merge collector is garbage, the quality is low... The runner length and diameter is ideal for making power and eliminating the torque dip but for a few bucks more a gruppe-s/jdl has proven to show great gains that compliment the efficiency points of the engine (e.g. peak power @ 6,800RPM).

First gen JDL headers hit the skit plate, this was literally the first 10-30 units made. After that they resolved that issue. The Gruppe-s header if not checked can get close to the engine or the sway bar and give phantom knock. Just make sure you center the over pipe. The agency power either hits the skid plate or the slip joints are flexing as almost every car I have dyno'd with an AP header gets phantom knock at certain points. I just have to adjust the ignition advance table so it cant pull the IAM down. I heard from one member that adding washers to the under tray can resolve this though?

#toomuchinfo #allthethings #hashtag
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nelsmar For This Useful Post:
BobbyBlue86 (11-25-2015), jeffsides (11-24-2015), RenegadeRukus (11-26-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 02:42 AM   #29577
BobbyBlue86

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
It was one of the first headers released. It is an equal length. Almost every header will "almost" always throw a CEL when it is catless (the above header is catless). Anti foulers are hit and miss. The ECU might work fine for 2,000 miles and then randomly throw one.

I have never done a back to back stock vs header dyno with the agency power header. And most people I have seen never get a dyno with it so I don't have much to compare it to power wise but the cars I do remember working with were mostly supercharged etc and it never really stood out. It cost currently $50 more than the JDL UEL which is hand made here in arizona (currently on sale for $600 iirc).

The tomei is made by gruppe-s, you may as well skip the middle man and go straight to gruppe-s for their UEL as its the exact same header with a different logo on it. You can get it + OP for 580 shipped iirc (they were recently on sale). Great header, it will throw a CEL just like the rest. The runner length is stronger in the lower RPM than the JDL. (you also get more of a metallic "wush" sound in the mid rpm range on theirs). The JDL has a slightly stronger top end on average from what I have seen (I have only dyno tuned one gruppe-s lately) but the JDL is hand made with a life time warranty..

The UEL header's make the same power as an EL header realistically, and typically even more than most of the EL out there and give a deeper exhaust tone due to pulse collision. I would only run an EL on a turbo BRZ/FRS personally. I think this engine sounds like complete ass..

Right now is an awesome time to get a header. Everyone is having a sale, and there are finally cheaper price points. JDL is finally down almost half the price they used to be and if anything the quality of their header has gone up. And now that Gruppe-s is selling directly here in the US there is another cheaper option that has pretty consistent quality

As for borla? Unless you get a brand new one... The flex joints break, the merge collector is garbage, the quality is low... The runner length and diameter is ideal for making power and eliminating the torque dip but for a few bucks more a gruppe-s/jdl has proven to show great gains that compliment the efficiency points of the engine (e.g. peak power @ 6,800RPM).

First gen JDL headers hit the skit plate, this was literally the first 10-30 units made. After that they resolved that issue. The Gruppe-s header if not checked can get close to the engine or the sway bar and give phantom knock. Just make sure you center the over pipe. The agency power either hits the skid plate or the slip joints are flexing as almost every car I have dyno'd with an AP header gets phantom knock at certain points. I just have to adjust the ignition advance table so it cant pull the IAM down. I heard from one member that adding washers to the under tray can resolve this though?

Ive been eyeing up the JDL UEL for a long time now... now that its on sale im moving and out of funds! Haha

Ive only heard good things about it and it being local, and hand made... its got my vote.
BobbyBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 02:12 PM   #29578
exS4

Drives: 2013 Sprintex SuperCharged FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs-up!

I'm happy with my JDL exhaust.
It sounds like a proper wrx/sti now!
Also JDL has installed many of the mods on my car and I'm very satisfied with their service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyBlue86 View Post
Ive been eyeing up the JDL UEL for a long time now... now that its on sale im moving and out of funds! Haha

Ive only heard good things about it and it being local, and hand made... its got my vote.
2013 FRS, 6Speed. HeavyDuty Clutch, AluminumFlywheel, Bilstein Coilovers, Sprintex SC w/small pulley, E85FlexFuel, WhitelineFrontSwayBar, Michelin PilotSuperSportTires, DeliciousTuning/Ecutek, AP Racing BBK, Carbon Fiber DriveShaft, JDL UEL Exhaust, Big Radiator, Oil Cooler, Ventilated Carbon Fiber Hood, Carbon Fiber Rocket Bunny Kit, Carbon Fiber Interior pieces, and a bunch of other stuff!
exS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:49 PM   #29579
jeffsides
AZ FRS 86

Garage
Tonight we are all parking up front by the patio. See you all thereName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448484602.728721.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  528.1 KB

Sent from ARIZONA86 HQ
Old 11-26-2015, 01:12 AM   #29580
RenegadeRukus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post

Just read all of that, glad I did. This gives me much to consider, but also gives me a great start point for what to look at. I just recently got this car from a domestic hci built drag car, so I have to redo almost all of my original "knowledge" on cars. Lolol

Old 11-26-2015, 09:37 AM   #29581
jeffsides
AZ FRS 86

Garage
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448548693.729952.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  238.4 KB

Sent from ARIZONA86 HQ
drifter-s (11-26-2015), FReSh_86 (11-26-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 11:34 AM   #29582
jeffsides
AZ FRS 86

Garage

Sent from ARIZONA86 HQ

Tags
arizona, fr-s, mesa, phoenix, scion, tucson, we need a subforum