follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-31-2015, 02:19 PM   #71
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babydriver View Post
Sometimes it's helpful to me to simplify the problem somewhat.

Imagine that we have a coil spring connecting two weights, one small one on the bottom (the unsprung weight) and one very large one above the coil spring (the sprung weight). Any change in the sprung weight will either compress the coil spring more (if heavier) or less (if lighter). For the purpose of this thought experiment, we will ignore any side to side motion that may be possible; only up and down motion is "allowed".
True but the typical 1/4 vehicle model also takes into account tire spring rate between the unsprung mass and the road surface (input signal). It gets complicated fast. We can't simplify this problem any more that that standard model because any further simplification would result in junk answers, ie. Garbage-in-garbage-out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydriver View Post
What complicates matters further is that the lower "unsprung" weight also moves. As force is applied to it in an upward direction, the spring compresses and rebounds. A downward direction will cause stretching and then rebounding. At some critical combination of rate and weight, the unsprung weight will come into resonance with the spring's rate, allowing the greatest motion with the least effort. However, this is also the point at which the entire assembly wants to continue to oscillate at the same speed as long as there is additional energy put into the system. The shock absorber (on the car) is there to reduce this resonance (i.e. bouncing).

The question is: If the damped resonance is something that is desirable or undesirable?
The system is already tuned way lower than what you're describing, somewhere between 1-2 Hz, I think. At most 8 Hz for super racecar.

Resonance is good for musical instruments but way bad in this case.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:20 PM   #72
totopo

Drives: 370z
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Isn't wheel rate simply a way to combine spring rate with the moment arm of the suspension? I don't understand how mass would figure into that.

I couldn't find my vehicle dynamics book last night. @babydriver's question is interesting and I'm taking ownership. Thank God brick & mortar libraries still exist.
You are correct. I am mixing up wheel rate and suspension frequency. Time to hit the books again

I was talking about frequencies Mostly I think? haha, though wheel rate is better than spring strength.

edit: what the heck am I thinking? I think I have something majorly wrong in what I thought I knew about suspension. ignore half of what I say please, hahaha.
totopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to totopo For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 02:23 PM   #73
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

We're way off topic in this thread. Should we start a new one? @himbo?
Old 03-31-2015, 02:31 PM   #74
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
But of course I wouldn't mind the lesson, my class did not go that in depth.
I studied this a little because of my FSAE team. That's all. My vibrations analysis prof. and I really bonded. I'm no genius but I innately consider the acoustical implications in just about everything I see.

Keep me honest. That's the most important thing.

edit: btw, I reread your first post with this in mind.
Quote:
However it would not be detrimental to comfort and I pointed it out explicitly because it was the opposite of baby's assumption.
The victorylibrary article's statement about lowering spring rate makes more sense if considering the primary goal to be comfort. It's not that you need to lower the wheel rate accordingly, it's that you can get away with lowering it to improve comfort.

Last edited by Ultramaroon; 03-31-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 02:39 PM   #75
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
As with any car, there can be issues but my Eclipse is nearly 17 years old, always sat outside, dealt with salty winter roads, and barely got washed, and I still don't really see much rust under it or anywhere. That's pretty impressive to me. But I have seen pictures of some that are badly rusted. I'm not sure what they're doing to get that kind of rust. Maybe they park it in a swamp? But even so, Mitsubishi has had a 10 year rust warranty for a long time. So those people still probably could have got that taken care of.

But yeah, I'm not claiming Mitsu is better or anything; it's just that I don't absolutely have to buy a new car right now. I will get the FR-S soon enough and I was considering getting it when the Monograms came out but decided to wait it out a bit longer.
It's a design flaw with a large number of factory year versions of their flagship performance market offering is what I'm trying to underline here.
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:57 PM   #76
himbo

Drives: Lightening Red BRZ Ltd.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
We're way off topic in this thread. Should we start a new one? @himbo?
Nah. I'm not a huge stickler for these things, I'm all about a good flow of ideas. Mostly, I wanted to see what people would have done if they were designing the car within the perimeters it was built around. The perimeters being cost, safety, etc. Sometimes these types of perimeters promote really innovative and creative ideas.
himbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to himbo For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-01-2015), Ultramaroon (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 05:48 PM   #77
zman

Drives: scion frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Stickers as headlights 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:55 PM   #78
BRZtoni
Turbo E85

Drives: 13 wrb brz
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
remove passenger seat and rear seats.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:16 PM   #79
whiplash
Cone Killer

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
No rear seats would probably have been the best. Spare tires can be handy lol
Old 04-01-2015, 12:30 PM   #80
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddysBBQ View Post
I'd say the easiest way would be to have a lightweight battery, no rear seat (parcel shelf and a wall to block off the trunk) and ditch the spare for a plug/compressor kit. Ditch the Sound tube while they're at it as well.

That'd save 100lbs or so, and the added cost of the fancy battery would be offset by the cheaper rear seat area option and the fill kit vs a wheel/tire/jack/etc combo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
No rear seats would probably have been the best. Spare tires can be handy lol
Rear seat delete is estimated to be ~25 lbs.
link 1 link 2
Spare tire is about the same at ~25 lbs.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7881

The OEM battery weighs ~30 lbs and a super light replacement (<5 lbs.) is going to cost ~$500 or more. (See above link for the tire)

At most you're looking at 75 lbs for all those things, maybe 80 since the design engineers can likely make other savings with those changes that the consumer can't by ripping them out (i.e. no well in the trunk = less sheet metal, remove hardware there for mounting tire).

There's potential for an OEM GT3 RS like version coming in under 2,600 lbs wet (there's at least one member who's down to ~2,400 lbs with fuel) but there's a small cross section of people who want that and would pay for it instead of living with the weight and luxuries (A/C, NVH, Radio) or the people who would do it themselves to a more extreme degree. Given how expensive the special editions have been I think they'd struggle to keep the cost under $30k as it would take significant changes in production to complete instead of a new color and some bits slapped on after the fact.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-01-2015), Ultramaroon (04-02-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 09:40 PM   #81
CatDaddysBBQ

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

The OEM battery weighs ~30 lbs and a super light replacement (<5 lbs.) is going to cost ~$500 or more. (See above link for the tire)

I've seen the small battery that replaces the oem one (that the electric supercharger setup uses) and it's way less money than 500. It's like 130 or less. Huge difference.
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:56 PM   #82
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
You could have put down the fork and went running...
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
himbo (04-02-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 10:42 PM   #83
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddysBBQ View Post
I've seen the small battery that replaces the oem one (that the electric supercharger setup uses) and it's way less money than 500. It's like 130 or less. Huge difference.
Yup you're right, I just pulled the one from the vendor, here's a Shorai battery for a bike at $185 that some guys have used. The SuperB I was thinking of seems to be for heavier duty applications, with this Shorai it sounds like there is a risk that it won't keep up with some rigorous demands but if you're going for all out performance then the compromise is worth it.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Shorai-LFX-Battery-LFX21A6-BS12-Black/dp/B0088JGUTA"]Amazon.com: Shorai LFX Battery - LFX21A6-BS12/Black: Automotive[/ame]

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=42284&page=28
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 09:07 AM   #84
Anthony
Weight Nazi

Drives: 13 FRS -399lb, 11 335is, 05 Tiburon
Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,765 Posts
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I think this about covers it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Remove and replace spare tire + tools with can of fix-a-flat - 30-40 lbs (depending on laws)
Smaller washer fluid reservoir and less fluid - 2-4 lbs (est)
Single exit exhaust and muffler - 20 lbs (Tanabe concept G as benchmark)
Manual on CDROM - 1 lbs
Lighter weight front seats - 14 lbs (est)
Delete front strut bracing - 3 lbs
Remove all sound dampening tiles - 3 lbs
Smaller door speakers - 2 lbs
Sound tube delete - 3-4 lbs
My first thoughts were single exit exhaust, and that surely they could've made much lighter seats at the same price point. Hell, the single exit exhaust would've saved money, so maybe they could've taken the savings and invested them into making the wheels a pound lighter or something. Maaaybe a one piece driveshaft? Which again seems like it would save money.

Quote:
Haha... dunno but I wonder if there's a per-thread quota on saying "bullshit" legitimately, or otherwise.
Turns out, there is. No one talks about it though. It's actually a minimum requirement, and so far you're the only member on this entire website that's even attempting to pull his/her own weight. So... by my calculations, you're winning.

Oh. And I also just realized...
Attached Images

Build Thread | The Venus Project | Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anthony For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-02-2015), himbo (04-02-2015), strat61caster (04-02-2015), Ultramaroon (04-02-2015)