follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Looking to add some spunk

I need to add some spunk to my BRZ. This car is my DD and I'm only looking for something in the $500-600 range or less.

I'm leaning towards an exhaust component. I just feel like the car has no personality and I don't think anything cosmetically will provide that.

However I've got a dilemma, my old Supra had an exhaust and my fiancé as well as myself absolutely hated it. It was loud, obnoxious, and droned like no other right in the 2k-4k rpm range. So she DOES not want me to do it again. I can't decide if a Catted front pipe will give me what I am looking for or if I should go with an axle back. Axle back will be much easier to install than a full CBE and FP but FP is 1/2 the cost and I can buy the Q300 for as hair under $600.

Please help me.
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
-Richard Hammond, Top Gear, USA Supercar Road Trip, 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
My BRZ
m.wood0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
Shedd22
BAMF

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Perrin 2.5" resonated catback. Looks amazing and not too loud.
I got mine for just over $700 though.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
If by spunk, you mean straightline speed a catback doesn't do much for HP on this platform. For HP/TQ $500-$600 to get an OpenFlashTablet tune for e85 ($550ish) and a drop-in filter, just about any brand will do ($50). That will net about 25-35 WHP and 20-25 TQ.

If you mean corner speed. New stickier tires in 215-225 width will greatly improve your cornering speed.

Do driver mod and/or these two first, then worry about everything else afterwards.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
enwave (07-16-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
ModBargains.com

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
If by spunk, you mean straightline speed a catback doesn't do much for HP on this platform. For HP/TQ $500-$600 to get an OpenFlashTablet tune for e85 ($550ish) and a drop-in filter, just about any brand will do ($50). That will net about 25-35 WHP and 20-25 TQ.

If you mean corner speed. New stickier tires in 215-225 width will greatly improve your cornering speed.

Do driver mod and/or these two first, then worry about everything else afterwards.
This guy has the right idea
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ModBargains.com For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-15-2014), enwave (07-16-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
DeadStar7
Retired formula car racer

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Check out the Valenti tail lights or Winjet headlights. Just an idea. 😉
Old 07-15-2014, 04:37 PM   #6
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Simple and direct observable improvement is OFT, and right at your requested price range
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:09 PM   #7
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
You've already got some wise ideas (Personally I think if you want personality, a sound change is an easy way to make the car "feel" faster-- exhaust doesn't sound like a bad idea. You may want to spend a little more than $500 on an exhaust, though). I'd add basic suspension stuff to the list-- swaybars, suspension / drivetrain bushings, and a good alignment. These are all pretty cheap items that will really change the overall feel of the car through corners (sways change the balance, bushings change responsiveness, alignment can change both slightly).

For the money, suspension tweaks are probably the best thing you can do to the car to change the overall experience you get when pushing the car hard. An exhaust isn't a bad idea either though, since it changes your perception of speed and can add the personality you want. Save a little more and get a quality piece, though. Don't force yourself to choose a sound based on price.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #8
hypercarfanatic
Banned

Drives: Own F-150XLT, Lexus RX300
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I have heard that the ISIS exhaust systems are good. Tints are always nice, depending on your state (not sure about price range). I like rice, like a lot, so I would put neon on it (flame suit ready). LEDGlow is the best, but make sure to check local law/call CHP/call local police
hypercarfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hypercarfanatic For This Useful Post:
DeadStar7 (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
DeadStar7
Retired formula car racer

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Manual
Quote:
OpenFlashTablet tune for e85
What is this?
Old 07-15-2014, 06:29 PM   #10
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadStar7 View Post
What is this?
Just about everything you need to know is here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67310

http://openflashtablet.com/
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #11
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Just don't go on the UK forums saying you need some spunk LOL
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Chimera (07-15-2014), DeadStar7 (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #12
Ubersuber
Banned

Drives: BRZ Pearl White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Seriously, I'd forget engine mods short of forced induction.

If I had $500.00 to spend I'd buy Bilsteins and fit them myself (in reality I have enough to pay someone much more skilled than I to fit them).

I bought new tires first. Knowing what I now know (that Subaru is fitting Sachs dampers to the 2015 cars) and having experienced the transformation my BRZ experienced by fitting Bilstein HD (B6) dampers and struts that's the only mod I would have done. I seriously think I could have tolerated the stock tires longer had I fitted the Bilsteins first.

Oh, yes, and as the rear Bilsteins go in cut one half inch out of the rear bump stops, or cut a bit off the soft end if you don't want to mess around with gluing bits of bump stop back together. A bit more damper travel before the car hits the bump stop would be desirable unless you want to drift regularly.

Get the alignment within spec even if you have to fit camber bolts. My rear axle is now set at 1.9 degrees negative each side with the help of a pair of Subaru factory camber bolts. The front probably won't need camber adjustment but if it does you can get camber bolts for the bottom of the strut to assist.
Ubersuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #13
BP1913

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited MT
Catted vs Catless front pipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.wood0213 View Post
I need to add some spunk to my BRZ. This car is my DD and I'm only looking for something in the $500-600 range or less.

I'm leaning towards an exhaust component. I just feel like the car has no personality and I don't think anything cosmetically will provide that.

However I've got a dilemma, my old Supra had an exhaust and my fiancé as well as myself absolutely hated it. It was loud, obnoxious, and droned like no other right in the 2k-4k rpm range. So she DOES not want me to do it again. I can't decide if a Catted front pipe will give me what I am looking for or if I should go with an axle back. Axle back will be much easier to install than a full CBE and FP but FP is 1/2 the cost and I can buy the Q300 for as hair under $600.

Please help me.

I was just about to make a thread on this but noticed I'm looking for a similar set up. The sound in the following video is what I'm going for, however the PERRIN catted front pipe has been discontinued.

Does anyone have any videos of just an aftermarket front pipe on an otherwise stock exhaust? Will there be much of a sound difference between catted and catless front pipes?

Not trying to hijack your thread, but I think we're in the same boat.

*I'm not looking for upgraded performance, mainly just a better sound.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfb9CKLpRoo"]Perrin Catted Front & Over Pipe + Stock Catback - YouTube[/ame]
BP1913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:24 PM   #14
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

To the OP:

100% best advice yet. If you're really saying sound is what you're looking for, careful opinions on what's loud differs a ton here lol, take your time when it comes to exhaust choice and hear some in person first. As it's been said no amount of power or spunk will be had with additional noise on this car however.