follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 06-22-2021, 06:24 PM   #1
svolo4

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lightbulb Part out or keep it track only?

Hi everyone! I need an expert advice on what to do with my FR-S.
It's a 2015 and has a lot of mods. Turbo, exhaust, cooling, driveline (clutch, CF driveshaft, 2-way lsd, axles), full PBM angle kit, coilovers, momo seat, multiple whiteline inserts, engine mounts and so on.

The car is running fine, sometimes it gets hot on track when it's like 85+ degrees in thunderhill, but overall last drift event was a blast for me and I enjoyed how the car behaves. I wish I can go do this more often like I used to, but over the years I started doing it less often and haven't driven the car since last October. It's no longer a daily-friendly car and I don't have a truck to tow it to drift events. Tried renting u-haul, but it's kind of expensive and also a lot of hassle to get everything aligned for a drift day.

I'm thinking about either getting a truck and using it as my daily, while changing 86 into noop (can't pass smog with my current setup) or parting it out and trading it in.

I'm not sure how much $ will it cost to part it out, especially that I don't have half of the stock parts that I'll need. Some parts like subframes were cut/welded to fit angle kit, diff raisers and bigger axles. At this point it'll be easier to get an entire rear end off ebay and replace mine, rather than swap individual parts in rear suspension.

What do you folks think? Keep it as a drift car or get rid of it and get something relatively fast, but more daily-friendly?
svolo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to svolo4 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (06-25-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 06:55 PM   #2
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
You are going to get pennies on the dollar.
Try selling it on bring a trailer
If you can't get what you want and not desperate for cash just keep it.
Add a truck and trailer to your life as money allows.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:59 PM   #3
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Based on your post, I say you make it track only and get a daily driver truck. It sounds like you don’t hate the car, so it would be a shame to sell it for an amount that may be greatly offset by you buying required parts to go back to stock.

Plus by you renting a u haul in the past it shows you have the desire/know how to tow your vehicle, which a lot of people don’t have, so I vote take it to the next level and get yourself a sweet towing setup.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to norcalpb For This Useful Post:
Aztec (09-07-2021), Clipdat (06-25-2021), vintagemxer (07-18-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 07:06 PM   #4
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,001 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Keep it.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whataboutbob For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (06-25-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 01:52 AM   #5
BabaYaga

Drives: FRawSome Hot Lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Keep it for run!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2021, 10:34 AM   #6
fminicooper

Drives: FRS Hot Lava
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
vote for keep it!
With the money of selling it you buy nohing close to enjoy on weekend.
fminicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:19 PM   #7
Aztec
Lost in the twisties

Drives: 2014 BRZ Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by svolo4 View Post
Hi everyone! I need an expert advice on what to do with my FR-S.
It's a 2015 and has a lot of mods. Turbo, exhaust, cooling, driveline (clutch, CF driveshaft, 2-way lsd, axles), full PBM angle kit, coilovers, momo seat, multiple whiteline inserts, engine mounts and so on.

The car is running fine, sometimes it gets hot on track when it's like 85+ degrees in thunderhill, but overall last drift event was a blast for me and I enjoyed how the car behaves. I wish I can go do this more often like I used to, but over the years I started doing it less often and haven't driven the car since last October. It's no longer a daily-friendly car and I don't have a truck to tow it to drift events. Tried renting u-haul, but it's kind of expensive and also a lot of hassle to get everything aligned for a drift day.

I'm thinking about either getting a truck and using it as my daily, while changing 86 into noop (can't pass smog with my current setup) or parting it out and trading it in.

I'm not sure how much $ will it cost to part it out, especially that I don't have half of the stock parts that I'll need. Some parts like subframes were cut/welded to fit angle kit, diff raisers and bigger axles. At this point it'll be easier to get an entire rear end off ebay and replace mine, rather than swap individual parts in rear suspension.

What do you folks think? Keep it as a drift car or get rid of it and get something relatively fast, but more daily-friendly?
Another +1 to keeping the car

That said, I completely understand what you're coming from. Not being able to drive it on the street comfortably is an issue.
Next question is, can you make it comfortable on the street and alter the suspension for track/drift days? Curious if your suspension is the issue or what makes it so terrible on street currently.

I am currently investigating the viability of modifying my Bilstein B14 coilovers to be more track-focused while maintaining some kind of comfort on the street. Replacing the progressive springs with linear springs, but keeping them relatively soft while using a nice big sway bar in front. I think with a proper set up you can have your cake and eat it too
Bilstein Dampers are quite good once paired with linear springs and valved correctly
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:03 PM   #8
svolo4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
Another +1 to keeping the car

That said, I completely understand what you're coming from. Not being able to drive it on the street comfortably is an issue.
Next question is, can you make it comfortable on the street and alter the suspension for track/drift days? Curious if your suspension is the issue or what makes it so terrible on street currently.
Nah, that's not an option. I'm running 2-way diff on aluminum inserts in front and steel welded-in moubts in the back of the diff, then subframe itself sots on aluminum inserts. All suspension arms are part shop max on metall ball joints, which ends up with coilovers which only have rubber inserts in the back. Engine is mounted on cusco mounts, so ride quality is super harsh and I hear every noise that engine, tranny
and diff are making while driving. It's basically a track only car.

I spent a year without going to drift events, but it's getting better. Just went to an event this weekend and signed up for one in october. If I can make it to the track at least once a month, car will stay with me.
The Following User Says Thank You to svolo4 For This Useful Post:
Aztec (09-12-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 12:29 AM   #9
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
undoing it sounds annoying AF

If someone could wave a magic wand and hand you cash for the car (market value) what would you do next? I think that's the trick. Would you build another drift car with less money and buy a cheap truck/trailer? Build something more streetable but still fun to slide around?

idk, probably not impossible to sell the car whole as is without losing too much money if you want to build something different. If at the end of the day you'd end up building another unstreetable drift car then shit enjoy what you got.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 02:13 PM   #10
svolo4

Yep. Decided to get myself a fun to drive truck (Raptor) and keep the 86. Already got more upgrades for it, mostly investing in cooling and gauges now to keep fa20 happy. Trying to hit as many drift days as possible.
Old 10-01-2021, 04:25 PM   #11
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
I am going to do the same thing. Love driving my FRS on Track and I want to convert it to a track only car and daily a nice mid size truck.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote