follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 08-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #1737
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
I knew they valved based on the spring settings but I thought having stiffer( well not really stiffer but relatively stiffer than 6k F/ 7k R setup ) might be a better idea..

I don't really know about the distribution but it might be slightly front heavy due to KW kit. I haven't had it corner weighted yet. Do you mean the corner weighted alignment?
A corner balance would be making the cross weights even (FR/RL vs RL/RR).

I'm strictly interested in the front axle weight vs rear weight in this case. You'll want to factor that vs the motion ratio of the wheel/suspension setup in your specific car to come up with the theoretically ideal spring balance ratio. Then you'll want to tweak this based on the squat/antisquat you have dialed into your suspension, and your specific driving preference. Once the rates (or range of rates) are chosen along with sway bars, you'll want to have the dampers valved to match those rates.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
glamcem (08-09-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #1738
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cross-posting a bit here, need you track guys' input:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72027

Basically, looking for a slight improvement over stock tire, but not an all out track tire, so I can continue developing my skills at a good pace, as per my instructor's recommendations.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:25 AM   #1739
Food
Banned

Drives: ...saving up for FRS/BRZ still
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ok...since we know how the FT compares to a Miata and S2k...what about this (it hasn't been mentioned yet):

stock FT vs stock S13/S14 (both with SR engines, but stock)

stock FT vs stock S13/S14 (both usdm KA engines, stock)

This would be a good comparison I think yes? ....since they weigh very similar, both FR rwd, and also make the same power (SR anyways).

But...I had an S13 with swapped SR, more than 10 years ago. All I remember it handled like sht lol - even though it was supposedly light, it felt sloppy, heavy and sways like crazy. Felt like a cadilac more or less. No where as precise, nice and nimble as my prior EG before that. I've test driven the FT...all I can say is Wow, when I drove it. The FT reminds me of the tight'ness, lightness and precise nimble feel of my old EG, but with rwd like an S13 ....so that said, I assume the FT will smoke the ish out of a stock SR S13 on the track, correct??
Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:58 AM   #1740
CSG Mike

I actually think the BRZ/FRS is a modern day 240, but I get shit for it lol.

I've never driven a stock 240 (do those even exist anymore?), so I can't say...
Old 08-13-2014, 04:25 AM   #1741
lbejosano

Drives: 2014 Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
What about in comparison to an E36 M3?
lbejosano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:36 AM   #1742
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
@CSG Mike does increasing track width have any adverse effects on track?

I've put in 25mm spaces with my 18x7.5" +46 wheels for the flush look but was wondering if I'd notice any difference at my next track day.

And, next question. I was thinking of going to 18x9.0 +44 wheels (again, for the looks). Likely to be TWS so pretty light even though wider. I am a pretty average track day participant (no racing, just fun days). I've been told wider wheels will likely adversely affect track performance but as a real amateur would I really notice?
Old 08-13-2014, 05:23 AM   #1743
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzer View Post
@CSG Mike does increasing track width have any adverse effects on track?

I've put in 25mm spaces with my 18x7.5" +46 wheels for the flush look but was wondering if I'd notice any difference at my next track day.

And, next question. I was thinking of going to 18x9.0 +44 wheels (again, for the looks). Likely to be TWS so pretty light even though wider. I am a pretty average track day participant (no racing, just fun days). I've been told wider wheels will likely adversely affect track performance but as a real amateur would I really notice?
Wider wheels =/= wider track width.

I wouldn't worry about track width. By the time you need to worry about it, you'll already know how you want to address it.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #1744
bimmer635csi

Drives: 2013 Cayenne turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I actually think the BRZ/FRS is a modern day 240, but I get shit for it lol.
Both of my parents had multiple versions of the 240Z to 300Z vehicles. I agree with this statement completely because every time I'm in my car, I'm reminded of riding around with my father as a child. It just feels the same.

Now if we could just get one of those raging L6 engines in there (Maybe that will happen with the Toyota/BMW joint venture)
Old 08-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #1745
btsokolas

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Where would you suggest putting a GoPro on the car when you track/autocross? I want to be able to see the track/course but I also want to be able to see myself and what I am doing inside the car. I know on a S200, for example, there is a great spot where you can put a GoPro on and see everything, the road ahead, yourself, etc. I mainly want this so I can review the videos and see what I need to improve on
btsokolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #1746
bimmer635csi

Drives: 2013 Cayenne turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsokolas View Post
Where would you suggest putting a GoPro on the car when you track/autocross? I want to be able to see the track/course but I also want to be able to see myself and what I am doing inside the car. I know on a S200, for example, there is a great spot where you can put a GoPro on and see everything, the road ahead, yourself, etc. I mainly want this so I can review the videos and see what I need to improve on

For about the same money as the top-dog GoPro, I was able to purchase THREE JVC Addixion cameras and make the videos you will find in my red thread below.

Also, you can look at random "autocross" and "track event" videos on U2B to figure out placement. A lot of people put the camera behind the driver on the left side of the car to try to achieve what you are looking for, but in my opinion, three cameras works better because you can see both sides of the car.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:02 AM   #1747
Books

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S (MT)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I'm in the market for a new hood and I figure I might as well upgrade to one with vents and/or a scoop to manage engine bay temps. Living in New England, it doesn't sound like a smart idea to get vents, correct? And with that, I should just go with a plain OEM hood?

I know there's a hot debate between what's best (vents vs scoops) for our cars too.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:11 PM   #1748
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsokolas View Post
Upside down at the top center of the rear windshield. Make sure you put the go-pro in upside down mode, and spot metering (I wish GoPros did HDR).

Also, use the "medium" field of view.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 02:11 PM   #1749
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Books View Post
I'm in the market for a new hood and I figure I might as well upgrade to one with vents and/or a scoop to manage engine bay temps. Living in New England, it doesn't sound like a smart idea to get vents, correct? And with that, I should just go with a plain OEM hood?

I know there's a hot debate between what's best (vents vs scoops) for our cars too.
If you need cooling, a (properly) vented hood will do wonders.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #1750
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Wider wheels =/= wider track width.

I wouldn't worry about track width. By the time you need to worry about it, you'll already know how you want to address it.
Thanks, not sure what you mean. Do you mean that I wouldn't notice wider track until I get a lot better on track and at that point I'd know enough about if and how I wanted to change it? Or, are you saying it doesn't matter anyway?

For wider track I was talking about the 25mm spacers I have installed (not wider wheels). I assumed that this would put the inside of the wheels farther apart thereby creating a wider track.

My second question was about 9" wide wheels rather than 7.5" wheels (not track width). I am more asking about if I'd notice the extra resistance of wider wheels and/or whether the extra grip would be detrimental given I am a very amateur track driver ?