follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-07-2018, 06:36 AM   #71
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Tom, after reading your posts I think you've done just about everything. If you want to go any further you're going to have to get hard core

Don't know if you've sen this build but good and there are many others mentioned in the first post.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71806

Did you get the firewall insulation? It's worth about 6lbs and free. It adds a bit of engine noise but nothing extreme.
you could be right I guess the only parts left upfront are
mishimoto slim fans
robispec lca's
hood

I will look into the firewall insulation I'm guess behind the dash??
Old 08-07-2018, 06:48 AM   #72
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,349 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
you could be right I guess the only parts left upfront are
mishimoto slim fans
robispec lca's
hood

I will look into the firewall insulation I'm guess behind the dash??

It is, have a look through those threads. There a pic there somewhere.

Another thing you can do is start replacing all metal brackets and non crucial bolts with aluminum, by making your own. I'm not exactly sure how much weight that would add up to but I would consider it a project.

I'll be goofing around with that in the winter. Not sure how far I'll get. I have a few other things to look after first like and oil cooler, etc.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:17 AM   #73
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
If you are going to not do pulleys or flywheel, keep the stock pulleys. The flywheel has a bigger impact by far. Also the people that say it is not good always come up with WRX and forced induction data, they can't find any n/a data because it doesn't exist.
Quote:
You missed my top post maybe. I already have pulleys and CF driveshaft. Much easier than replacing a flywheel. I would consider when I have to replace clutch which could be a long time.
There were some old posts at Nasioc saying that a combo of flywheel with crank pulley might give a check engine light. It looks that this is not an issue anymore with the FA20 engine. I have not seen any check engine light in my car. For sure, it is not the best combination for a daily driven car but I cannot say either that it is undriveable. In fact, it is a matter of getting used to it and keep in mind that I have also a metallic clutch for the best possible weight reduction. Nevertheless, I am sure that certain people will never be able to stand the change and hence the hate. Cost wise there is some effort to get down the transmission, but it is not that expensive. This is a normal task for a car with enough mileage when it is time to change the clutch. Some will wait for the standard maintenance and some will not. Personally, I paid 1500 for the complete kit (flywheel and new clutch) and 500 for the installation on a professional shop. I am quite happy with the result, but I am sure that for many these are a lot of money. People should check how much cars with similar modifications like the 14R60 cost in Japan. Maybe people in Western countries will never be ready to pay for such cars (not enough POWER), but in Japan they are paying for them. The 14R60 was sold out very fast and even the new WRX STI RA-R car was sold out in a single day.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
SuperTom (08-07-2018), why? (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 08:43 AM   #74
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
No airbags and no crash beam... on a road car.

Good luck and make sure you increase the limits on your life insurance.
Have you actually seen how many cars really get in an accident every year? It is a tiny amount. Crash beams are only for minor accidents, anything over 20 mph and they do absolutely nothing. Seat belts do much, much more than airbags ever will.

Quote:
You missed my top post maybe. I already have pulleys and CF driveshaft. Much easier than replacing a flywheel. I would consider when I have to replace clutch which could be a long time.

I already have the light Wilwood WRX brakes that shaved 30lbs off the front using my scales. I have 17x8 konig hypergrams at 16.5lbs and stock size Hankooks evo 12's at 19lbs for about 5.5lbs total savings per corner. The wilwoods can fit inside 16's but I'm happy with my setup.

Ive done a lot already I'm just looking for whats next, especially off the front. A lot of the originators of the forum did things in the beginning but it looks like many are banned. They hold the secret key to unlocking more weight reduction knowledge. The reason why I'm bumping older posts to see if anyone is still active.
I saw the post, the pulleys don't really do much. I've had all 3 on my car and had to switch out some of the pulleys because they apparently were junk, and I can't tell the difference. The flywheel made a noticeable difference. Yes it costs money to do the flywheel, but you can also change out the throw out bearing, fork, and everything else all at once, depending on what you want to change. Makes it easier to do everything at once when you do decide to do it.

There is only 2 real threads you need to see about weight reduction, the first is Anthony's which I am sure you have seen, http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42284, and the second is the one pinned in the racing section, http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7881, that's really all there is.

There are a couple videos floating around showing people stripping the car to the bone and taking out what little insulation and tar and the like there is in the car, but Anthony's thread shows how much weight that actually saves and you can decide if it is worth it for you.

PS, a lot of the "banned" users are not banned, they just changed their title to "banned," something anyone can do.

There are a few things Anthony has not done, and he mentions them. Besides spending the cash at MPH fabrication and going full carbon everything, or swapping out a lighter engine, or finding a fabricator and having him custom make every single piece lighter than stock, there isn't that much left. There are a couple of full carbon steering wheels out there that are 1lb or so, but they are also $1000. The CAE ultra shifter loses a few pounds, but it is $900. You could have a custom dash made from full carbon, but I believe that is about $5000.

Besides Anthony and the people that have gutted the car for racing, I am pretty sure there are very few if any people that have done more than you have.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 09:09 AM   #75
SuperTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
No airbags and no crash beam... on a road car.

Good luck and make sure you increase the limits on your life insurance.

Bumpers are not designed to prevent injury its just so insurance companies don't have to pay more for damaged radiators ect. In Japan they don't have them one of the reasons they are lighter when you look at their specs.

Taken from the NHTSA:
2) What is the purpose of bumpers?

The car bumper is designed to prevent or reduce physical damage to the front and rear ends of passenger motor vehicles in low-speed collisions. Automobile bumpers are not typically designed to be structural components that would significantly contribute to vehicle crashworthiness or occupant protection during front or rear collisions. It is not a safety feature intended to prevent or mitigate injury severity to occupants in the passenger cars. Bumpers are designed to protect the hood, trunk, grille, fuel, exhaust and cooling system as well as safety related equipment such as parking lights, headlamps and taillights in low speed collisions.

And I sure as hell am not trusting my life to airbags that millions and millions are recalled each year.

There are ways to drive smart, be aware of your surroundings, get into another lane when someone is driving crazy, stop playing candy crush on your cellphone when driving.
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:22 AM   #76
SuperTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Have you actually seen how many cars really get in an accident every year? It is a tiny amount. Crash beams are only for minor accidents, anything over 20 mph and they do absolutely nothing. Seat belts do much, much more than airbags ever will.

I saw the post, the pulleys don't really do much. I've had all 3 on my car and had to switch out some of the pulleys because they apparently were junk, and I can't tell the difference. The flywheel made a noticeable difference. Yes it costs money to do the flywheel, but you can also change out the throw out bearing, fork, and everything else all at once, depending on what you want to change. Makes it easier to do everything at once when you do decide to do it.

There is only 2 real threads you need to see about weight reduction, the first is Anthony's which I am sure you have seen, http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42284, and the second is the one pinned in the racing section, http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7881, that's really all there is.

There are a couple videos floating around showing people stripping the car to the bone and taking out what little insulation and tar and the like there is in the car, but Anthony's thread shows how much weight that actually saves and you can decide if it is worth it for you.

PS, a lot of the "banned" users are not banned, they just changed their title to "banned," something anyone can do.

There are a few things Anthony has not done, and he mentions them. Besides spending the cash at MPH fabrication and going full carbon everything, or swapping out a lighter engine, or finding a fabricator and having him custom make every single piece lighter than stock, there isn't that much left. There are a couple of full carbon steering wheels out there that are 1lb or so, but they are also $1000. The CAE ultra shifter loses a few pounds, but it is $900. You could have a custom dash made from full carbon, but I believe that is about $5000.

Besides Anthony and the people that have gutted the car for racing, I am pretty sure there are very few if any people that have done more than you have.

Trust me Ive read Anthony's thread time and time again. Its a great read on his journey to weight loss. His loss is built on taking out as much as possible to the point its not streetable. The only thing he really spent money on was the carbon fiber seat. The rest is zip tied dash ect.

Im willing to spend the money on lighter parts Real Carbon Fiber, Titatium, Aluminum ect.
Ordered NRG Carbon Fiber seats but they are on backorder until the end of the month. 12lbs each sounds awesome though!!

I am going to look into dry icing some of the tar. Ive done it on other cars it just seems there isn't much on our cars to begin with but hey 5lbs of tar and 5lbs of heat stuff behind the dash is a free 10lbs.

Again the main reason of resurrecting this thread was to see if there was anything else out there to swap out with a lighter version made of better materials since that was what the OP was looking for before he got shot down to just do aligment stuff.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperTom For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (08-07-2018), why? (08-07-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 05:53 PM   #77
lamawithonel

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Ltd.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The crash beam is a pretty crucial part of the front crumple zone, which is absolutely designed for high-speed impacts. The beam is designed to evenly distribute load across the entire crumple structure. Without the beam, the rest of the crumple zone may not function correctly.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:57 AM   #78
Scala

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Not the front, but there is a nice rear seat delete kit that drops 29lbs.
Link please.
Thanks.

I have not weighted the front seats, yet, but considering that they contain air bags I expect significant weight savings to be possible here. I am on the lookout for an easy ingress-egress carbon replacement.

Last edited by Scala; 08-30-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Scala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:16 PM   #79
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Quote:
Haha good stuff not looking to strip the car like Anthony but I like your outside the box creativeness. Just looking for replacement parts that are lighter than stock. Car will be stockish to the naked eye.

Carbon Fiber seats are coming in this week, Removed door speakers but kept small dash ones and rear ones. Already did a rear seat delete. Ive done all the common weight loss mods. Really its phase II things that may be lighter but overlooked parts like Front LCA's

I Did consider Headunit is 4 lbs if there was a way to run an aux wire directly to the stock 2lb amp off my phone. Since I just use apps like Pandora and radio.com 99% of the time anyway.
There are people who have done this mod on other vehicles, if you look up installing a tablet in your car. There are adapters to make it work with your amp.
And if you decide to only use your phone, less weight than a tablet =)

Quote:
Trust me Ive read Anthony's thread time and time again. Its a great read on his journey to weight loss. His loss is built on taking out as much as possible to the point its not streetable. The only thing he really spent money on was the carbon fiber seat. The rest is zip tied dash ect.

Im willing to spend the money on lighter parts Real Carbon Fiber, Titatium, Aluminum ect.
Ordered NRG Carbon Fiber seats but they are on backorder until the end of the month. 12lbs each sounds awesome though!!

I am going to look into dry icing some of the tar. Ive done it on other cars it just seems there isn't much on our cars to begin with but hey 5lbs of tar and 5lbs of heat stuff behind the dash is a free 10lbs.

Again the main reason of resurrecting this thread was to see if there was anything else out there to swap out with a lighter version made of better materials since that was what the OP was looking for before he got shot down to just do aligment stuff.
Not a lot of tar in weight. But there's some other sound insulation around the transmission tunnel too. That may heat up the cabin but I plan on doing that.

There needs to be a more central place for weight reduction. That official component weights thread is never updated on the original post.

NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:03 PM   #80
SuperTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scala View Post
Link please.
Thanks.

I have not weighted the front seats, yet, but considering that they contain air bags I expect significant weight savings to be possible here. I am on the lookout for an easy ingress-egress carbon replacement.

Just did NRG carbon fiber buckets. There are better ones out there if you got big bucks. Still very happy with them for the price and very light!

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129664
Old 08-30-2018, 04:07 PM   #81
SuperTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
There are people who have done this mod on other vehicles, if you look up installing a tablet in your car. There are adapters to make it work with your amp.
And if you decide to only use your phone, less weight than a tablet =)

Not a lot of tar in weight. But there's some other sound insulation around the transmission tunnel too. That may heat up the cabin but I plan on doing that.

There needs to be a more central place for weight reduction. That official component weights thread is never updated on the original post.

Yeah im going to pass on the HU unit for now but putting some gauges in place of the HU would be much better

Yeah theres only about 5lbs of tar which isn't much but its FREE! Plus there is some heat stuff between the Dash and Firewall I heard that 6lbs. The seats I installed give me a good inch of space between the tunnel some im not worried about heat. Unlike my Corvette where your leg is up against the firewall and it gets hot.

Agreed on the weight threads. I asked Anthony to edit his OP on exhaust weights since theres so much more info out there but nothing happened.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:27 PM   #82
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Quote:
Yeah im going to pass on the HU unit for now but putting some gauges in place of the HU would be much better

Yeah theres only about 5lbs of tar which isn't much but its FREE! Plus there is some heat stuff between the Dash and Firewall I heard that 6lbs. The seats I installed give me a good inch of space between the tunnel some im not worried about heat. Unlike my Corvette where your leg is up against the firewall and it gets hot.

Agreed on the weight threads. I asked Anthony to edit his OP on exhaust weights since theres so much more info out there but nothing happened.

The insulation goes all the way to the windshield. There's some excellent dismantled interior pics here if you haven't seen them.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53511

The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
SuperTom (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 04:40 PM   #83
SuperTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
The insulation goes all the way to the windshield. There's some excellent dismantled interior pics here if you haven't seen them.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53511

Damn that is a lot of crap!! I could see mice bugs ects living in that stuff 10 years from now. I just hope its not glued down too much. Ive had most of the dash apart last week to get the passenger airbag out so im familiar with whats under there. Thanks!!
Old 08-30-2018, 04:44 PM   #84
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Quote:
Damn that is a lot of crap!! I could see mice bugs ects living in that stuff 10 years from now. I just hope its not glued down too much. Ive had most of the dash apart last week to get the passenger airbag out so im familiar with whats under there. Thanks!!

I yanked everything out in minutes when I had the carpet out. not much glue. I'm doing the rest when I pull the dash in the winter. I actually like the extra engine noise. It's not much but it's there.
The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
SuperTom (08-30-2018)