follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 11-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #71
OrangeJuleas

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atropine View Post
If a family member was a degenerate...I would be sad...but I would understand.

Just because I care about someone...it does not give them a free pass.

Many people cannot admit that their friends/loved ones can do bad things.

I am not one of those people.
I am not trying to say that people close to you deserve a free pass. Many of my friends who have done bad things have served their time/received their punishment.

But we will never go anywhere as a society if we can't treat everyone (at least at a base level), like we would our family. Being thrown in jail is definitely something this young lady deserved, not brain death followed by real death. I am not saying she shouldn't have been punished, but the ends don't justify the means. Just because you really wanted to throw her in jail doesn't mean to be reckless with another person's life.

I'm not insane, in fact I'm kinda rational, when I be asking y'all, "Where did all the passion go?"
OrangeJuleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #72
Atropine

Drives: 2021 Toyota Supra 2020 4Runner
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuleas View Post
I am not trying to say that people close to you deserve a free pass. Many of my friends who have done bad things have served their time/received their punishment.

But we will never go anywhere as a society if we can't treat everyone (at least at a base level), like we would our family. Being thrown in jail is definitely something this young lady deserved, not brain death followed by real death. I am not saying she shouldn't have been punished, but the ends don't justify the means. Just because you really wanted to throw her in jail doesn't mean to be reckless with another person's life.
Maybe due to my job (emergency room) I feel the opposite.

I feel our society will never grow and prosper and develop until we QUIT giving 4 chances to everyone.

I am tired of seeing people with 4 DUIs killing people (again) with their car.

I am tired of seeing convicted multiple felons committing yet another felon.

I am tired of watching resources which are very valuable, be spent on drug addicts who choose to put poison in their body.

I can give literally dozens of personally witnessed examples...but legally I cannot due to HIPAA (which protects patient confidentiality)

I respect your opinion, but I generally feel "bleeding hearts" are generally pretty far away from the trenches.

I am not trying to accuse you or anyone else of this.

But police have a very hard job. Does brutality occur? Absolutely, but this girl had just committed 3 felons that day...and was on her way or committing her fourth (the attempted escape).

After so many public shootings and people rampaging with cars...which way do you want it? Are cops allowed to stop people or not?
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atropine For This Useful Post:
OrangeJuleas (11-04-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #73
coyote

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I feel our society will never grow and prosper and develop until we QUIT giving 4 chances to everyone.

I am tired of watching resources which are very valuable, be spent on drug addicts who choose to put poison in their body.
I agree with this completely.

Having now looked at that video it is clear that girl was murdered by the laziness of a fat fuck who also should not be excused and given 4 chances.

Regardless of what she had done, he killed her because he couldn't be bothered taking two extra steps. If that's lawful in your country, then I'm glad I don't live there.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #74
R.S-HawK
Banned

Drives: '13 Gen Coupe 3.8 R
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madoka View Post
1. She stole a car.

2. She went around driving while impaired (allegedly drugs).

3. She committed a hit and run.

4. An hour later, she committed another hit and run.

5. She was arrested and ran from the police station while cuffed.

Mistakes were made on both sides.
I think it's obvious by your outline of events, who is more at fault for the events that took place that day.

I don't normally side with police officers who go outside the books when dealing with situations, but when a subject has committed multiple felonies, is thoroughly resisting arrest and failing to abide by orders, firing a taser is not of out the acceptable range of actions an officer should have the ability to take.
R.S-HawK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #75
SoCal909

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Maybe due to my job (emergency room) I feel the opposite.

I can give literally dozens of personally witnessed examples...but legally I cannot due to HIPAA (which protects patient confidentiality)

I respect your opinion, but I generally feel "bleeding hearts" are generally pretty far away from the trenches.

I am not trying to accuse you or anyone else of this.

But police have a very hard job. Does brutality occur? Absolutely, but this girl had just committed 3 felons that day...and was on her way or committing her fourth (the attempted escape).

After so many public shootings and people rampaging with cars...which way do you want it? Are cops allowed to stop people or not?
I don't think what the woman did warrants her to lose her life, I'm sorry. I do however think it warrants jail time, and I am a fan of tougher laws when it comes to dui's etc. It would also help prisons if we did not jail people for smoking pot.

Are cops allowed to stop people? Of course. What happens when they decide to shoot/taser you when they are just having a bad day and are on edge? What if someone who was just pulled over for something stupid decides to run? They are a criminal as well then, does that mean they should lose their life?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
SoCal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:12 AM   #76
Atropine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal909 View Post
I don't think what the woman did warrants her to lose her life, I'm sorry. I do however think it warrants jail time, and I am a fan of tougher laws when it comes to dui's etc. It would also help prisons if we did not jail people for smoking pot.

Are cops allowed to stop people? Of course. What happens when they decide to shoot/taser you when they are just having a bad day and are on edge? What if someone who was just pulled over for something stupid decides to run? They are a criminal as well then, does that mean they should lose their life?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
No, the woman did not deserve to die.

But her actions directly led to her death.

Should that cop still be a cop? Iono. I do not know what his track record says about him.

I am just tired of pieces of shit being called a "Victim" because they finally get the short end of the stick when they constantly fuck over everyone else (society).

Analogy time:
Lets say you work at a restaurant.
A person comes in all the time and sits down and eats and then runs off without paying. They also are super high maintenance while in the restaurant (like demanding 10 refills and complain about their food not being perfect).
They are also loud and obnoxious and ruin the dining experience for others.

Finally one day they are running out the door and you being the owner shout at them, "Never come back!" and in their "fear of you" ;(according to their deposition in court since they are now suing you) they trip and fall and cut their hand on a sign outside the restaurant.

They are awarded 2 million dollars...because you are now "racist" because they happen to be slightly different than you.
You lose your restaurant, and you are demonized in the media because you chased someone over a measly 15$ dinner.

This goes on every day in our current society.

Replace the word "restaurant" with "hospital". Replace the pronoun "you" with Doctor, nurse or tech or security guard.

I am all about protecting the "little guy". I joined the military at age 17 to protect those that could not and cannot protect themselves. But eventually you come to realize the system is set up to help those who refuse to help themself, and the hard working bastard who finally stands up to the lazy scammer is the person who is punished.

EDIT:
I have never smoked anything in my life, pot or cigarettes. I have never drank alcohol in my life (family reasons).
I have worked in Emergency Room settings since 1999.

Pot should 100% be legal if alcohol is. Alcohol is way more dangerous than pot.
I have never been assaulted at work by a "high on pot" patient. But I cannot even produce a number to quantify the drunks who have swung at and/or hit me.

And yeah...if this cop has a shady track record, he should be fired etc etc etc.

In my area (Tacoma, WA) a Taser is considered non-lethal force. So I am certainly applying my local laws to this situation.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #77
sklimo
Banned

Drives: 2013 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Thanked 12,901 Times in 5,671 Posts
Mentioned: 316 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Name:  IMG_147565915953361.jpeg
Views: 180
Size:  75.2 KB
sklimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #78
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
One of the problems is that people set too high of a standard for our police officers. When you consider that half of the brain surgeons, nuclear scientists and lawyers graduated in the bottom half of their class in school why would you expect any thing different from a cop?
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #79
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Quote:
No, the woman did not deserve to die.

But her actions directly led to her death.

Should that cop still be a cop? Iono. I do not know what his track record says about him.

I am just tired of pieces of shit being called a "Victim" because they finally get the short end of the stick when they constantly fuck over everyone else (society).

Analogy time:
Lets say you work at a restaurant.
A person comes in all the time and sits down and eats and then runs off without paying. They also are super high maintenance while in the restaurant (like demanding 10 refills and complain about their food not being perfect).
They are also loud and obnoxious and ruin the dining experience for others.

Finally one day they are running out the door and you being the owner shout at them, "Never come back!" and in their "fear of you" ;(according to their deposition in court since they are now suing you) they trip and fall and cut their hand on a sign outside the restaurant.

They are awarded 2 million dollars...because you are now "racist" because they happen to be slightly different than you.
You lose your restaurant, and you are demonized in the media because you chased someone over a measly 15$ dinner.

This goes on every day in our current society.

Replace the word "restaurant" with "hospital". Replace the pronoun "you" with Doctor, nurse or tech or security guard.

I am all about protecting the "little guy". I joined the military at age 17 to protect those that could not and cannot protect themselves. But eventually you come to realize the system is set up to help those who refuse to help themself, and the hard working bastard who finally stands up to the lazy scammer is the person who is punished.

EDIT:
I have never smoked anything in my life, pot or cigarettes. I have never drank alcohol in my life (family reasons).
I have worked in Emergency Room settings since 1999.

Pot should 100% be legal if alcohol is. Alcohol is way more dangerous than pot.
I have never been assaulted at work by a "high on pot" patient. But I cannot even produce a number to quantify the drunks who have swung at and/or hit me.

And yeah...if this cop has a shady track record, he should be fired etc etc etc.

In my area (Tacoma, WA) a Taser is considered non-lethal force. So I am certainly applying my local laws to this situation.
If a restaurant is closed down for that, then they deserve to be shut down because the owner didn't have proper insurance like...you know, a responsible owner should. Nice racist dog whistle though. (inb4: ur da real racist for saying "racist")

And speaking of dog whistles, have you ever heard of a concept called "confirmation bias?" You might want to look into it.

Last edited by AznBRZer; 11-04-2013 at 11:33 AM.
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #80
Atropine

Look up the word analogy...

And I did identify the fact that I am obviously biased due to my past job and current jobs...
Old 11-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #81
Atropine

or...according to you...

the cop would be fine due to the police department having insurance?
Old 11-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #82
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Quote:
Look up the word analogy...
Ha? Maybe you shouldn't make shitty ones then.

Quote:
And I did identify the fact that I am obviously biased due to my past job and current jobs...
Wrong. You identify yourself as an authority on the subject because of your jobs; not that it's merely your opinion. Again, confirmation bias. Maybe you should look into it. Btw, this isn't the only thread you've done this in.(edit: I actually got you confused with someone else. My b.)

A critical person might infer that when they see someone being treated in a hospital ER might not be at their best and not the typical way they conduct themselves. I guess that's something that "bleeding hearts" would do because your day-to-day interactions with people in non day-to-day situations might not be an accurate picture.

Quote:
or...according to you...

the cop would be fine due to the police department having insurance?
You're the one that made the crappy analogy, now you want me to clean it up?

edit: I'm sure you're a decent enough guy, but as someone else in "the trenches," there's always more to what's going on than what we see in those fleeting moments.

Last edited by AznBRZer; 11-04-2013 at 12:16 PM.
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote