follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-28-2016, 04:58 PM   #71
Chase1996

Drives: Scion FR-S Black
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor View Post
Do you / did you try switching the VSC/TC off?
By holding it down for 5 secs?
Chase1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:18 PM   #72
_gt86_user
Inactive

Drives: .
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yeah just to let you know, if you have aftermarket wheels and tires then your sport mode or trac mode doesn't work the same as with stock wheels and tires.
_gt86_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:22 PM   #73
Chase1996

Drives: Scion FR-S Black
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _gt86_user View Post
Yeah just to let you know, if you have aftermarket wheels and tires then your sport mode or trac mode doesn't work the same as with stock wheels and tires.
So...do you mean turning it off will help or it wont help? (possiblby)
Chase1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #74
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
5sec TC=VSC off partially (it still can engage if it detects wheel hop or other complete loss of traction for one wheel). EBS also is still on, when one heavy brakes. Though then again, unless on track, i suggest drive on public roads with at least VSC=on always. It should leave enough slack for correction at most sudden unexpected situations on public roads (i learned it expensive way ). On track - if you don't push much, this may do.
Only pedal dance disables VSC/TC & EBS completely, leaving only basic ABS on from all the nannies. Will remove any unexpected nanny intervention, but don't be too overconfident.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Chase1996 (02-28-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 05:28 PM   #75
_gt86_user
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase1996 View Post
So...do you mean turning it off will help or it wont help? (possiblby)
I mean it just won't trigger if you turn it off by holding it for 5 sec. You won't lose control all crazy if you drive with it off, not like our cars make a monster amount of torque.
The Following User Says Thank You to _gt86_user For This Useful Post:
Chase1996 (02-28-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 06:20 PM   #76
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase1996 View Post
Yes that is what I mean...and I am not sure, I did not put on any of these parts..its always strange when it comes on, how would I check if something had been clipped or messed up?
it is the wire in the clips. make sure it's not caught on anything and in good condition.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:09 PM   #77
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
5sec TC=VSC off partially (it still can engage if it detects wheel hop or other complete loss of traction for one wheel). EBS also is still on, when one heavy brakes. Though then again, unless on track, i suggest drive on public roads with at least VSC=on always. It should leave enough slack for correction at most sudden unexpected situations on public roads (i learned it expensive way ). On track - if you don't push much, this may do.
Only pedal dance disables VSC/TC & EBS completely, leaving only basic ABS on from all the nannies. Will remove any unexpected nanny intervention, but don't be too overconfident.
Sport mode disables traction control, the 5-second disable turns off Traction and Stability control. Pedal dance isn't necessary, I never need it even for seriously competitive Auto-x, and even with running 18's previously on just springs similar to his situation (but better springs).

Right now I think the best solution is for him to ride along in someone elses car or someone ride along with him to find the problem.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kostamojen For This Useful Post:
Chase1996 (02-29-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 01:10 PM   #78
cwpbrz-ji

Drives: BRZ & Forester
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Followup:

Thursday, with TC/VSC off and no pedal dance, I put my car through several hundred safe miles of testing on wet curvy roads.

On 2 corners, during what seemed to be right rear wheel hop / lift /+plus sight roll, I believe (what some call) "ice mode” occurred, causing TC/VSC to engage.

After that, for some strange reason , the roll was no longer there == Yay!!!

I then attempted to reproduce the same results, ...and no matter how hard I tried; including going over the same corners where "ice mode” appeared to engage before, ...nothing happened, and the slight roll was still gone.

Friday (during rain) I returned to the place where I first experienced this minor roll, everything was still good, it (roll) did not manifest, so I continued researching and found the following:

well, ABS Ice Mode finally got me...

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-g...ly-got-me.html

"Ice Mode" …specifically this post:

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-g...l#post11161605

and am considering what CSG_Mike says here:

Ice mode is 100% driver error. Regardless of what they say, it is, absolutely, 100% driver error. I can replicate ice mode AT WILL, and if you are inducing ice mode, you're doing it wrong.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ft86/commen...t_mode/cnp15zc

rather than throw the blame on software.
cwpbrz-ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:39 PM   #79
justatroll

Drives: Full race 4cyl boxer
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Sounds like this thread should have been titled "How to screw up your cars handling and ride - step by step!"

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67345

I have told this story before:
I ran into a guy at the track with a BRZ.
He had the fastest lap times of almost any BRZ/FRS in the area.
At every race, he said, that all the other twins drivers would come over and ask "what did you do to this car to make it so fast?!?"

He said "NOTHING!" - "Take all that aftermarket shit off your car and learn how to drive it the way the engineers intended"
He had ZERO mods to the car other than wheels and race tires.

If you have only driven your car on the street then you have NO BUSINESS modifying the suspension because there is no way that you "know" what the car needs.
Unless of course you are a "torretto wanabe" and drive like F&F on the street on a daily basis.

In my first 20 minutes on a real track, I learned more about driving that the other 30 years of experience doing what I THOUGHT was "driving" while on the street.
justatroll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justatroll For This Useful Post:
stevesnj (03-06-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 02:34 PM   #80
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
justatroll: i'm 99% sure that he also did alignment in addition to wheels/tires.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:04 PM   #81
_gt86_user
Inactive

Yeah if you do any track driving I would say save your stock suspension if you already lowered it with something else chances are you will go back to stock and re learn the car and re evaluate what you want vs what you need. But if you mostly do street driving then keeping the rear within factory spec and 0 toe with a little camber won't hurt up front. You can lower it but just make sure you have the supporting items to get it within spec.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:13 PM   #82
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justatroll View Post
Sounds like this thread should have been titled "How to screw up your cars handling and ride - step by step!"

At every race, he said, that all the other twins drivers would come over and ask "what did you do to this car to make it so fast?!?"

He said "NOTHING!" - "Take all that aftermarket shit off your car and learn how to drive it the way the engineers intended"

If you have only driven your car on the street then you have NO BUSINESS modifying the suspension because there is no way that you "know" what the car needs.
Unless of course you are a "torretto wanabe" and drive like F&F on the street on a daily basis.

In my first 20 minutes on a real track, I learned more about driving that the other 30 years of experience doing what I THOUGHT was "driving" while on the street.
Agreed, All I have done so far is TRD lowering springs. I only have had one HPDE so next one I can build from here.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:50 PM   #83
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwpbrz-ji View Post
Followup:

Thursday, with TC/VSC off and no pedal dance, I put my car through several hundred safe miles of testing on wet curvy roads.

On 2 corners, during what seemed to be right rear wheel hop / lift /+plus sight roll, I believe (what some call) "ice mode” occurred, causing TC/VSC to engage.

After that, for some strange reason , the roll was no longer there == Yay!!!

I then attempted to reproduce the same results, ...and no matter how hard I tried; including going over the same corners where "ice mode” appeared to engage before, ...nothing happened, and the slight roll was still gone.

Friday (during rain) I returned to the place where I first experienced this minor roll, everything was still good, it (roll) did not manifest, so I continued researching and found the following:

well, ABS Ice Mode finally got me...

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-g...ly-got-me.html

"Ice Mode" …specifically this post:

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-g...l#post11161605

and am considering what CSG_Mike says here:

Ice mode is 100% driver error. Regardless of what they say, it is, absolutely, 100% driver error. I can replicate ice mode AT WILL, and if you are inducing ice mode, you're doing it wrong.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ft86/commen...t_mode/cnp15zc

rather than throw the blame on software.
I don't have issues with the Ice Mode even while autocrossing... So I'm not sure whats going on with everyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justatroll View Post

The BEST handling my car has been so far was when I only had 4 mods:

Front Strano Swaybar
Front camber bolts
BRZ front springs matched with FRS rear springs
Rear subframe bushings

That was it, even with the stock tires the car handled great and I had a ton of fun driving it. I tried other wheels/tires with this setup, and it was still good.

But then of course I wanted to lower the car and things changed completely, and I've been trying to get it back to that point ever since :P
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote