follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-01-2019, 10:37 AM   #71
N234

Drives:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msaikhan View Post
I have appointment set up after like 50+ calls to manager and service manager with the original dealer. (Total d**ks) They are going to "look" at it, but not going to reimburse the inspection fee at 2nd shop.(110$)
2nd shop didn't touch anything, only listened and inspected externally.
Explain to them the existence of this thread and what you learned from it. I dunno. Help them get it right the second time.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
N234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:39 AM   #72
msaikhan

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N234 View Post
Explain to them the existence of this thread and what you learned from it. I dunno. Help them get it right the second time.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Been to this dealer 3 times already. Check out my review for a story time.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/autonation-...osq=autonation
msaikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:49 PM   #73
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
if i m not wrong the table is referenced by throttle angle (°)
Might just be defined incorrectly. I would expect it to be pedal as it would make more sense.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
tomm.brz (03-01-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 08:49 PM   #74
Magoo

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I hope this link works. I found this post from 29 January. Can't believe it has been going on since then.
Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Magoo For This Useful Post:
caus (03-15-2019), humfrz (03-04-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 09:06 PM   #75
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,101 Times in 2,049 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I'll admit, in a moment of weakness I was considering trading my car towards a 91 MR2 SW20 a dealership had imported with 30,000 miles. Hoping we all start seeing some improvements in this process. It's been 3 weeks that my car has been at the dealership, I'm getting tired of the waiting game. If my car wasn't so... unique, I'd probably be selling it to find a different one.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:55 PM   #76
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,589 Times in 18,966 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I'll admit, in a moment of weakness I was considering trading my car towards a 91 MR2 SW20 a dealership had imported with 30,000 miles. Hoping we all start seeing some improvements in this process. It's been 3 weeks that my car has been at the dealership, I'm getting tired of the waiting game. If my car wasn't so... unique, I'd probably be selling it to find a different one.
Take in that picture. Have them drop the pan to check/clean the pickup tube. Maybe it's a lucky break.

Everyone having the work done should do this. I'd gladly pay straight time for the extra labor.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:00 PM   #77
lynnmichelle

Drives: '13 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Hey all - I'm going to lay this out here. I am a female. I get a lot of shit when I go to dealerships. I am often lied to by the service advisers or they omit information all together because this isn't my forte. I am a very technical person, but I don't have time to repair my own vehicle so I rely on this forum to make sure that when I go in I am as knowledgeable as I can be.

I had my recall scheduled for today (Toyota of Irving), but they wanted to charge me full price for spark plugs & serpentine belt replacement. Thanks to this forum, I was informed that those had to be removed anyway and they should only be charging me for parts. I cancelled my appointment and called another dealership. I did call the service manager at Toyota of Irving and he assured me the service adviser was incorrect in trying to charge me full fee for those replacements.

So with that said, and my appointment now scheduled for next week - should I go ahead and cancel that? This thread makes me feel like the Toyota dealerships still need some time to work out the kinks here...
lynnmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:19 PM   #78
msaikhan

Drives: frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmichelle View Post
Hey all - I'm going to lay this out here. I am a female. I get a lot of shit when I go to dealerships. I am often lied to by the service advisers or they omit information all together because this isn't my forte. I am a very technical person, but I don't have time to repair my own vehicle so I rely on this forum to make sure that when I go in I am as knowledgeable as I can be.

I had my recall scheduled for today (Toyota of Irving), but they wanted to charge me full price for spark plugs & serpentine belt replacement. Thanks to this forum, I was informed that those had to be removed anyway and they should only be charging me for parts. I cancelled my appointment and called another dealership. I did call the service manager at Toyota of Irving and he assured me the service adviser was incorrect in trying to charge me full fee for those replacements.

So with that said, and my appointment now scheduled for next week - should I go ahead and cancel that? This thread makes me feel like the Toyota dealerships still need some time to work out the kinks here...

I would at least see all the reviews and do a little research on the dealership. The tech doing the job gotta be super detail oriented guy, because on the manual, it literally says take your time and do the job right. Some extra sealer at the wrong spot can cause some big problems.
msaikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to msaikhan For This Useful Post:
lynnmichelle (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 01:35 PM   #79
lynnmichelle

Drives: '13 FR-S Ultramarine
Good idea- moved my question to the local DFW thread to see if they had suggestions.
lynnmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:01 PM   #80
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,935 Times in 16,471 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmichelle View Post

Okaaaa (bolded part) -

(sorry - me)

That's a tough call. Just because one dealership's (service writer) quoted you a non necessary charge, doesn't mean that their technicians aren't qualified to do the recall work.

Assuming you are planning to have the recall work done, I hear your question is - when (sooner or later)?

When discussing the procedure with the service writer (better yet the service manager) I would suggest you ask how many recalls have they done and how many cars had to be returned for further work?

If you feel comfortable with the service managers answer, you may wish go ahead and have the work done, especially if the re-registration of your car in Texas depends upon the recall work being completed.

On one hand the sooner you have the work done, the sooner that this situation will be resolved (peace of mind). On the other hand, holding off a while may give the dealerships more time to become more experienced/trained to successfully complete the work.

So, since my FR-S is under the recall, what am I going to do? I'm going to hold off for a while, in order for the manufacturer to refine the procedures and dealerships to gain more experience. Then again, I may never have the recall work done, for fear of them messing up a perfectly good running car?

When and if I have the work done, I will "interview" the service manager. Then request to speak with the tech that will be assigned to work on my car. If I feel comfortable with the attitude of the service manager and feel comfortable with the technicians knowledge and attention to detail (gut feeling), I will proceed to have them do the recall work.

What to do? Like they say in the Army, "it depends upon the situation".

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 02:22 PM   #81
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,068 Times in 675 Posts
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
So, what happens if you have a valve spring failure before having the recall done, but the dealership has been trying to contact you to come in..?
Old 03-04-2019, 02:23 PM   #82
FT86WI

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S / Firestorm Red
Since you all have me extremely paranoid, I decided to check my oil level when I got home from work to eat lunch. I tried 5 times, and the attached image is the most oil I could get to register on the dipstick.

I called the dealer, and they confirmed the kit included a full oil change. I explained the dipstick either wasn't reading, or I'm an absolute idiot and am missing something. They told me to bring it in immediately so they could check it out, and since they're only 5 minutes me from, I dropped it off and left.

First question - Am I looking at the dipstick correctly and the car isn't registering oil other than that small spot?

Second question - If I am looking it correctly, should I assume they didn't add enough oil with the kit, or would you be planning for the worst?
Attached Images

FT86WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:33 PM   #83
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT86WI View Post
Since you all have me extremely paranoid, I decided to check my oil level when I got home from work to eat lunch. I tried 5 times, and the attached image is the most oil I could get to register on the dipstick.

I called the dealer, and they confirmed the kit included a full oil change. I explained the dipstick either wasn't reading, or I'm an absolute idiot and am missing something. They told me to bring it in immediately so they could check it out, and since they're only 5 minutes me from, I dropped it off and left.

First question - Am I looking at the dipstick correctly and the car isn't registering oil other than that small spot?

Second question - If I am looking it correctly, should I assume they didn't add enough oil with the kit, or would you be planning for the worst?

Are you parked on level ground, if so then yes you have a problem. In just about any scenario (first thing in morning, right after running the engine, etc) you should get more on the stick then that. You are either more than a qt low on oil or you aren’t on level ground. When I say level I mean COMPLETELY level.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:32 PM   #84
FT86WI

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S / Firestorm Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Are you parked on level ground, if so then yes you have a problem. In just about any scenario (first thing in morning, right after running the engine, etc) you should get more on the stick then that. You are either more than a qt low on oil or you aren’t on level ground. When I say level I mean COMPLETELY level.
It was in a flat garage, or at least the garage where I normally check it which looks flat to me. I normally get a reading in the middle-ish, so this surprised me.

The dealership did call me back, and said it was about a 1/2 quart low, but they found no leaks or anything else when they looked it over. They said the oil was really clear since everything was freshly cleaned up and the new oil was added, but I don't know why I wouldn't have seen more oil.

Interestingly, they do seem to be aware of the issues going on, but they haven't had anyone come back to their dealership with issues post-recall. Apparently the tech is a part of "Toyota Forums", so he understood why I was concerned. If nothing else, I had the low-oil document in case something pops up.
FT86WI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FT86WI For This Useful Post:
ermax (03-04-2019)

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue