follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-17-2014, 04:44 PM   #71
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni_0176 View Post
Informative huh? Ok, sure...

Nitrous is a pretty awful mod for anything but dedicated drag strip racing... and I don't think there are too many people out there who bought their 86's as a drag-only car.

Why? Nitrous isn't something you can spray continously for extended periods of time.

Also, using nitrous on the street is absolutely retarded.

Now, if you are looking to take your 86 to the drag strip, and want to add cheap power, then Nitrous may be for you. However, I'm not sure what all there is to discuss? Aren't most kits fairly similar in design? Or are you trying to gauge how large of a shot is safe to run on stock internals?

Awful mod ? Wow you're lucky this isn't a chevy or a fox body forum because you would've been eaten alive. I bet you haven't educated your self about a proper nitrous system which costs more than a few fi options for this platform

I bought mine to street and drag race, so this applies to me. Nitrous is also used in drifting championships if you are not aware, also it can be very helpful to spool turbos.

Why is it retarded on the street ? Maybe you are doing a highway pull.

No they are not similar in design you have a ton of ways to shoot, size and use nitrous

Sent from my IBrick
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #72
mrk1

Drives: Sterling BRZ Ltd
Thanked 1,389 Times in 671 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Informative huh? Ok, sure...

Nitrous is a pretty awful mod for anything but dedicated drag strip racing... and I don't think there are too many people out there who bought their 86's as a drag-only car.

Why? Nitrous isn't something you can spray continously for extended periods of time.

Also, using nitrous on the street is absolutely retarded.

Now, if you are looking to take your 86 to the drag strip, and want to add cheap power, then Nitrous may be for you. However, I'm not sure what all there is to discuss? Aren't most companies kits fairly similar in design (aside from wet vs dry)? Or are you trying to gauge how large of a shot is safe to run on stock internals?
Nitrous/supercharger/turbo/NA is a choice everyone gets to make. This thread is to talk about nitrous. I personally find nitrous appealing, building a setup is something I see as a challenge. I enjoy solving the puzzle of assembling a functioning setup be it boost or anything really. Often I enjoy the build more then the final product. I know nitrous on the street isn't necessary but neither is anything faster then a corolla. I know I didn't go over 45 on my 20min commute today. And yes nitrous is used just when you want it, not continuous. But there is also a time limit on how long a motor will survive full boost pressure.

Its pretty obvious there is a lack of experience on this platform so no I am not expecting someone to chime in with a golden number and say it can handle this size shot. But its the same thing as when the turbo kits started coming out, how much boost will it take? no one knew but that didn't stop a dozen shops from trying.

GT28RS - eBoost2 - 3.91 Final Drive - Supra LSD
mrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #73
mrk1

Quote:
However, I'm not sure what all there is to discuss? Aren't most companies kits fairly similar in design (aside from wet vs dry)? Or are you trying to gauge how large of a shot is safe to run on stock internals?
Yes wet and dry are the two man types. All brands are not equal each one has there own way of making parts. Just like StopTech calipers are different then Brembo or some china brand. You can also look at some Euro brands that use a different configuration of jets to solenoids then the US brand use.

After wet/dry the next choice would be single nozzle, direct port, or plate kit. The NX kit for our cars is a plate kit with the mounting "plate" behind the throttle body. The FRS I posted above has both the single nozzle mounting in the intake tube, and the direct port kit with a nozzle "direct" in each intake runner.

A discussion thread about setup is always good. Take my M3 for example. One plenum to feed 6 cylinders each with a individual throttle body. A plate kit is out of the question with the ITB's. A single nozzle kit would only be good for a small shot as its hard to ensure each cylinder is consuming an equal amount of the charge. So for that motor a direct setup is best to ensure each cylinder gets the correct amount of charge. I actually bought a spare plenum to modify but that was back before I had a garage so the project kinda died.

Now the FA20 intake is pretty conventional so its pretty straight forward.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #74
Hanni_0176

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmsAlSuwaidi View Post
Awful mod ? Wow you're lucky this isn't a chevy or a fox body forum because you would've been eaten alive. I bet you haven't educated your self about a proper nitrous system which costs more than a few fi options for this platform

I bought mine to street and drag race, so this applies to me. Nitrous is also used in drifting championships if you are not aware, also it can be very helpful to spool turbos.

Why is it retarded on the street ? Maybe you are doing a highway pull.

No they are not similar in design you have a ton of ways to shoot, size and use nitrous

Sent from my IBrick
Did you fail to read the part after "awful" where I said "for anything but dedicated drag strip racing?"

...and don't most Chevy or Fox Body guys using nitrous on their cars exclusively for the drag strip?

I know plenty about nitrous oxide and how it works, thanks. I'm thinking that you may have played one too many Need for Speed games though. You don't just hit a button on your steering wheel everytime you want a boost and that's that.

Also, where in the world did you find information regarding nitrous being using in drift championships? Most of the championships I just looked into don't allow it, and for the few that do (like the UK), I haven't been able to find anything on drivers who actually use it... if you have some readily information on it though, feel free to post it up... I don't mind being proven wrong every once in a while.

But for the street? Idiotic. For starters, it's illegal in most states for street use. Secondly, due to the way nitrous comes on instantly, it can be extremely dangerous on imperfect roads. I mean sure, if you're running grippy tires and lack of traction is not a problem for you, or you're running a small shot of nitrous, you're probably safe. That still doesn't change the fact that you can't sit there and continually spray nitrous, though. If all you're doing is just a few pulls, okay, but it's not good for the engine to spray for extended periods of time, and there is only so much use you can get out of a bottle. If you want to run nitrous on a street car, that's your perogative, but it's still pretty stupid if you ask me.

I've had friends in the past spray nitrous on the street. Want to know how many of them ended up wrecking their cars because of it?

Not to attack you personally, but make sure you get some hella flush stanced extra camber, rocket bunny kit, and a big backwards wing before you try some street racing pulls with your naws.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I have to question why you purchased the FRS if all you are concerned with is straight line racing on the street.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:18 PM   #75
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Did you fail to read the part after "awful" where I said "for anything but dedicated drag strip racing?"

...and don't most Chevy or Fox Body guys using nitrous on their cars exclusively for the drag strip?

I know plenty about nitrous oxide and how it works, thanks. I'm thinking that you may have played one too many Need for Speed games though. You don't just hit a button on your steering wheel everytime you want a boost and that's that.

Also, where in the world did you find information regarding nitrous being using in drift championships? Most of the championships I just looked into don't allow it, and for the few that do (like the UK), I haven't been able to find anything on drivers who actually use it... if you have some readily information on it though, feel free to post it up... I don't mind being proven wrong every once in a while.

But for the street? Idiotic. For starters, it's illegal in most states for street use. Secondly, due to the way nitrous comes on instantly, it can be extremely dangerous on imperfect roads. I mean sure, if you're running grippy tires and lack of traction is not a problem for you, or you're running a small shot of nitrous, you're probably safe. That still doesn't change the fact that you can't sit there and continually spray nitrous, though. If all you're doing is just a few pulls, okay, but it's not good for the engine to spray for extended periods of time, and there is only so much use you can get out of a bottle. If you want to run nitrous on a street car, that's your perogative, but it's still pretty stupid if you ask me.

I've had friends in the past spray nitrous on the street. Want to know how many of them ended up wrecking their cars because of it?

Not to attack you personally, but make sure you get some hella flush stanced extra camber, rocket bunny kit, and a big backwards wing before you try some street racing pulls with your naws.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I have to question why you purchased the FRS if all you are concerned with is straight line racing on the street.

there you go,(picture attached bellow )

Lol regarding me fitting a rocket bunny and camber, trust me I've driven a fair share of fast ass cars, on the street, on a track,on sand and water too . Im not saying im the greatest driver but hey, i manage to keep a 700whp single cab truck with nos in a straight line every now and then so don't i get some credit ?

Why did i buy this car if i only care about straight lines ? Hmm what other Japanese tuner looks nice and is rwd now oh and also has a stick ? Plus i have a car that would lap the frs around a track and also do it side ways. People think this car was made purposely to hug corners, but no its not; nevertheless its good at it, but also with its power to weight it can be a beast going straight

Sent from my IBrick
Attached Images

SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #76
mrk1

Quote:

I've seen nitrous used on muscle cars on the street. I remember a guy who went as far as to disguise the bottle as a fire extinguisher.

Red button activation and instant on is old tech now. Simple devices like WOT switch's connected to the gas pedal have replaced that. Also there are numerous progressive controllers like the Octane Series I posted above. These allow the shot to happen progressively making traction much easier. You can even activate by RPM, boost, speed, rpm, or gear.

This thread has already touched on some of the fail safes in a good system. WOT switch, window switch, progressive controller.

And I think crashing a car because of nitrous is a misnomer , seems loss of traction could be a better description. Then again I don't know what happened.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #77
mrk1

I don't see any out standing traction hazards from using a shot on regular pavement. The D-Sport car made a bit over 200 ft lbs on a 50 shot. Plenty of boosted cars on here make more and they manage traction.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:18 PM   #78
mrk1

Just did a quick search to show that nitrous is used in professional level cars.

HKS competition 86 using http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/04/...ing-performer/

This car does use a steering wheel activated button.

Aasbo's TC

Essa's BMW E46 uses so does Yoshinori Koguchi’s 180SX

Super Lap Civic, hard to spot but its listed in description

Daigo Saito's Lexus

Thats just searching on one site.

Last edited by mrk1; 01-17-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:49 PM   #79
mrk1

Quote:

I don't follow drift so I am left to searching for a "nitrous ban" I wasn't able to turn up any thing concrete, only rumors. Even if it is banned we need to know why. For example, F1 banned moveable aerodynamics for a while. Why, as a cost saving measure not because it was dangerous. I follow racing cars pretty closely and I learned that lots of time its whats banned that the good stuff. Look up the 1992 Williams FW14B, qualifying laps 2 seconds ahead of the field. The tech from that car is still banned today.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #80
FRSFirestorm
Red is Fastest

Drives: 13 FRS 6MT Firestorm
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Interesting thread. I've run Nitrous on many vehicles over the years. I wouldn't hesitate to throw a kit on mine if I were so inclined. It is a blast!
FRSFirestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSFirestorm For This Useful Post:
mrk1 (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 10:08 PM   #81
mrk1

I have a drag strip fairly close to me and I can't find a source for nitrous. I need some muscle car friends.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:32 PM   #82
Hanni_0176

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmsAlSuwaidi View Post
there you go,(picture attached bellow )

Lol regarding me fitting a rocket bunny and camber, trust me I've driven a fair share of fast ass cars, on the street, on a track,on sand and water too . Im not saying im the greatest driver but hey, i manage to keep a 700whp single cab truck with nos in a straight line every now and then so don't i get some credit ?

Why did i buy this car if i only care about straight lines ? Hmm what other Japanese tuner looks nice and is rwd now oh and also has a stick ? Plus i have a car that would lap the frs around a track and also do it side ways. People think this car was made purposely to hug corners, but no its not; nevertheless its good at it, but also with its power to weight it can be a beast going straight

Sent from my IBrick
In all fairness, most of my post was lightweight sarcasm, so I wasn't trying to say you aren't a good driver or don't know much about cars.

Still though, there are better bang for the buck cars for going fast in a straight line, like a 2003-2004 Ford Cobra. Point is, if you're going to go the path of greater resistance for a fast straight line car via the 86 (i.e not the best bang for the buck for it), why try to get cheap power with nitrous when forced induction is an overall better option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk1 View Post
I've seen nitrous used on muscle cars on the street. I remember a guy who went as far as to disguise the bottle as a fire extinguisher.

Red button activation and instant on is old tech now. Simple devices like WOT switch's connected to the gas pedal have replaced that. Also there are numerous progressive controllers like the Octane Series I posted above. These allow the shot to happen progressively making traction much easier. You can even activate by RPM, boost, speed, rpm, or gear.

This thread has already touched on some of the fail safes in a good system. WOT switch, window switch, progressive controller.

And I think crashing a car because of nitrous is a misnomer , seems loss of traction could be a better description. Then again I don't know what happened.
How does seeing people use nitrous on muscle cars on the street have anything to do with it being dangerous and stupid? Does that mean if you watch people commit suicide that it's okay to commit suicide?

Also, I'm very aware that most nitrous setups are activated with a WOT switch. The steering wheel button was sarcasm.

The thing is, is that most of the "kids" who put nitrous on their cars for "street racing" aren't worried about their safety or the safety of other drivers. For those that are concerned about things like that, I assume most opt for forced induction. I mean, I understand the cost difference between platforms, but for all that... wouldn't an Electric Supercharger be a much better option?

Quote:
I don't see any out standing traction hazards from using a shot on regular pavement. The D-Sport car made a bit over 200 ft lbs on a 50 shot. Plenty of boosted cars on here make more and they manage traction.
It's not about how much total power the car can make, it's about the instantaneous change in acceleration. Boost doesn't just all of a sudden jump the car up by 100 ft/lbs of torque instantly. How many people have already wrecked their 86's trying to drift around on the street with only the stock power? There are lots of uncontrollable factors while driving on the street, which can clearly by seen by the daily "accident" threads people post up on this forum. Not trying to be "that guy," but spraying nitrous greatly increases that risk.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7ZBGDjaF_s"]Supercar Fails - YouTube[/ame]

Quote:
I don't follow drift so I am left to searching for a "nitrous ban" I wasn't able to turn up any thing concrete, only rumors. Even if it is banned we need to know why. For example, F1 banned moveable aerodynamics for a while. Why, as a cost saving measure not because it was dangerous. I follow racing cars pretty closely and I learned that lots of time its whats banned that the good stuff. Look up the 1992 Williams FW14B, qualifying laps 2 seconds ahead of the field. The tech from that car is still banned today.
Just do a search for drift championships and do an F search on the page for nitrous. Most of the ones I've looked through show it as not allowed.

Regardless, I'm not sure why anyone would want nitrous on a drift car. Pegging against the rev limiter while spraying nitrous doesn't sound healthy for an engine. When modulating the throttle to maintain a drift means nitrous isn't activated (WOT), and wouldn't an instant smack of hp/tq out of nowhere during a drift be hard to control when getting back on full throttle? I've never tried it myself, so I'm merely speculating here.

At any rate, I'm not trying to hate on you guys or troll up your thread, so I'll leave it at that.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:49 PM   #83
mrk1

I was curious to see why it's not allowed in drift not if it is or isn't.

I completely agree I don't see why they would use nitrous in a drift car but the examples I posted above show that they use it.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:18 AM   #84
bkblitzed
is better than you

Drives: 2013 raven FRS
Thanked 1,347 Times in 745 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
lots of uneducated people talking about nos.
bkblitzed is offline   Reply With Quote