follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-11-2014, 05:07 PM   #575
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikalem View Post
I was using the slim elm327 Bluetooth reader with my na EcuTek tune without a problem most of the time using the custom pids for oil and fuel level - so I'm gonna bet its your particular elm adapter. Do you have access to another adapter you can try?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
tried another adapter and it did the same thing. Would purchasing one of these adapters be worth it http://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mx.html

The Frozen North
2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #576
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I had one of the blue mini adapters and it was problematic. I switched to the obdlink-lx, the model down from the one you linked and have no issues since.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:31 PM   #577
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipstik-sportech View Post
tried another adapter and it did the same thing. Would purchasing one of these adapters be worth it http://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mx.html

The Frozen North
Scantool's obdlink works great for me.. been using it for several months now with zero problems.

Just one suggestion though.. unless you plan to use it on a GMC or Ford car, just buy the cheaper LX model. It works just as good on our cars:
http://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/s...bdlink-lx.html
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #578
mikalem

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipstik-sportech View Post

The Frozen North
Silly question - is the known working adapter in other cars being read by the same phone/tablet you are trying to use in your car? I'm thinking two possible problems - either you have a bluetooth issue between your phone/tablet to the adapter, or perhaps you have a bent pin in your ODB-II port.....

I use one of the knock-off mini-elm adapters with no issues, FWIW.
mikalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #579
wahsaihin

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hi Guys,

Total noob to this here and I did search the thread/internet, but couldn't find the answer I was looking for after sometime.

I'm Kraftwerks Supercharged with EcuTek and the base tune supplied by KW. I've already got the bluetooth OBDII adapter and have it hooked up to my Galaxy s3 (will upgrade it to a Nexus 7 once I'm fully confident that I will use Torque going forward). Like most people, I am looking at this as an alternative to using wired gauges and also because it can provide so much more info.

Like most complicated programs, users have to be somewhat savvy to customize widgets and what not (or PIDs) to work for what they want. I'm using the free app right now and there doesn't appear to be an option to add a PID.
  1. Before I buy the full version, can someone confirm that adding PIDs is only available in the full version?
  2. For now, I am looking to display AFR, oil temperature and boost gauges on the screen. The AFR widget does not give any readings (says closed loop, or unavailable) and the boost gauge is not displaying the correct figure (it's reading negative boost). There is no oil temperature gauge or display available - again I'm assuming this is in the full version?
  3. With that being said, is anyone able to kindly point me to some PIDs which will work for what I'm looking for?
Very much appreciated.
Edit: I found the Oil Temp PID by Andrey which I will try out soon.

Last edited by wahsaihin; 06-12-2014 at 03:51 PM.
wahsaihin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #580
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
I hope this gets updated in the OP because every time I wipe my phone or get a new phone I have to constantly re-figure out how to enable Fahrenheit in Torque for Oil Temperature.

Here is the real equation for the Oil Temp PID in Torque.
((AC-40)*1.8)+32

After that, go to Unit settings and enable Fahrenheit (or disable Celcius, whichever it is).

I tried it last night and I was hovering around 210-225 degrees on my turbo kit with casual driving. (no cooling mods)

Please please please add this to the original post in this thread so nobody has to dig and search deep for days just to convert to Fahrenheit like I did.
1Cor10:23 (06-30-2014), ck-GT86 (04-06-2015), CK_Bladesmith (06-30-2014), SPCorBUST (09-20-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #581
CladMonitor

Drives: 2013 FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
engine oil temp that shows up automatically has worked fine on torque. Maybe you have something missing in your vehicle profile?
CladMonitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #582
Synack
Boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by CladMonitor View Post
engine oil temp that shows up automatically has worked fine on torque. Maybe you have something missing in your vehicle profile?
I got my car in June 2012 when Torque could not use the normal Oil Temp parameter to measure our cars. Hence why there is all of the talk about it in the first post and several pages after that. I don't know if anything has changed but I still have to manually put in a PID if I want to view my oil temp in Torque.

I just wanted to share with everyone the oil temp equation for F was.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #583
CladMonitor

Garage
The ECU values are the same from 2012-2015 I think something regarding your torque install or setup is incorrect. It's why I suggest you look at you vehicle profile to make sure it's correct. Maybe even recreating the profile will help.

I'm only saying this because people that come here may mis-interpret that torque requires additional setup when I can assure you it does not.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #584
Synack
Boosted

Quote:
The ECU values are the same from 2012-2015 I think something regarding your torque install or setup is incorrect. It's why I suggest you look at you vehicle profile to make sure it's correct. Maybe even recreating the profile will help.

I'm only saying this because people that come here may mis-interpret that torque requires additional setup when I can assure you it does not.
If it doesn't require additional setup then why is there an extra PID about oil temp in the first post? And why is there page after page and post after post regarding oil temp?

If oil temp worked right out of the box like it should then there would be nobody talking about it.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #585
CladMonitor

Garage
Your talking about a post from nearly 2 years ago. There may have been an issue but it's not relevant anymore. Out of the box currently there is no problem getting oil temps to work on the FA20 I have setup several tablets / phones and not had this issue in the last 9 months.

I realize your only trying to help but again it's only confusing new users.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:58 PM   #586
Flasher
Smartass

Drives: Toyota GT86 & Impreza STi
Quote:
Your talking about a post from nearly 2 years ago. There may have been an issue but it's not relevant anymore. Out of the box currently there is no problem getting oil temps to work on the FA20 I have setup several tablets / phones and not had this issue in the last 9 months.

I realize your only trying to help but again it's only confusing new users.
There was no issue - the PID was just unknown and the Torque version back then, didn't know which one is the PID for the oil temp. So you had to add it manually as a custom PID. Probably later on, the Dev implemented the right PID for oil temp for the FT86.

I haven't changed anything to my settings since then, so I still use the custom PID.
Flasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:34 PM   #587
Synack
Boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
There was no issue - the PID was just unknown and the Torque version back then, didn't know which one is the PID for the oil temp. So you had to add it manually as a custom PID. Probably later on, the Dev implemented the right PID for oil temp for the FT86.

I haven't changed anything to my settings since then, so I still use the custom PID.
Same here, I get it now. That's probably what it was. I don't have a need to setup a fully custom profile when all I care about is the occasional glance at oil temp and boost.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #588
F1fletch

Drives: 13 FR-S AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Would the droid maxx be a good platform for the torque app?
F1fletch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, app, boost, gauges, torque