follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 12-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #43
Red5

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper View Post
Scion was a separate company working on Toyota property when they first started they used alot of Toyota parts but where independent when it came to design. Toyota bought them but they still sit in different buildings on the property.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Not so. Scion was started as a follow up to the failed project that brought us the last mr2 and the last gen celica. It started out as "project exodus" and was renamed 'scion' before the release of the xA and xB. It's been Toyota ever since its creation.

Sent from...somewhere?
Red5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #44
jshadeck

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Oh no... What have i started 😱
Old 12-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #45
Red5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshadeck View Post
Oh no... What have i started 😱
The beginning of the end. At least there will be cake, I was told there'd be cake.

Sent from...somewhere?
The Following User Says Thank You to Red5 For This Useful Post:
Accurate Race Shop (12-30-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #46
Accurate Race Shop

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
At least the cake was good but my history of scion was not so much

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Accurate Race Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #47
Jaylyons1

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ; 1993 Skyline GT-R
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I just can't bring myself to buy a Scion. I love the FR-S but since they had the option of getting the car under a different brand, it was a no brainer. I have not been a fan of any car that has been badged as a Scion nor most of the drivers until the FR-S was released. At least now there are decent Scion people. But since its pretty much known to be the bottom of the barrel for Toyota with Lexus being the high end, I don't see why I would want to pay $24k for one.
Jaylyons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaylyons1 For This Useful Post:
FoolCyclist (04-25-2013)
Old 12-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #48
Red5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylyons1 View Post
I just can't bring myself to buy a Scion. I love the FR-S but since they had the option of getting the car under a different brand, it was a no brainer. I have not been a fan of any car that has been badged as a Scion nor most of the drivers until the FR-S was released. At least now there are decent Scion people. But since its pretty much known to be the bottom of the barrel for Toyota with Lexus being the high end, I don't see why I would want to pay $24k for one.
Personally, that sounds like a stupid reason not to buy a certain car. "I like almost everything about this car, but I don't like what it's badged, so I'm gonna go spend more money on an almost identical car made by the same people because its badged differently"

Sent from...somewhere?
Old 12-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #49
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
the cake is a lie...and acting like the frs owners and brz owners are different is stupid.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
Shagaliscious (12-30-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #50
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,849 Times in 1,638 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
So dumb, really. Like you know everything about me, my financial status etc based on the fact that I own 2 Scions. My wife drives a Rav4 Limited so I guess I'm beneath her.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #51
Joeprelude

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2002 WRX Wagon
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah, but last time, i didn't recieve a piece of cake, and i was told.....
Joeprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joeprelude For This Useful Post:
arleewa (01-12-2013)
Old 12-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #52
Steve

Drives: 6MT
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Why would u buy a BRZ when it has a twin Scion, eww disgusting, you bottom feeder.

I warn you, one day someone will say nice Scion, and it will probably cause you to have a heart attack and die, so be weary.

And i totally agree, why would anyone want to pay $24k for a piece of shit scion when u could pay $27k for exactly the same car with a few cosmetic differences including sweet ass shooting star Subaru badges.

Ahh, venting after work.

Last edited by Steve; 12-30-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #53
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
So dumb, really. Like you know everything about me, my financial status etc based on the fact that I own 2 Scions. My wife drives a Rav4 Limited so I guess I'm beneath her.
haha
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
sho220 (01-04-2013)
Old 12-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #54
Coheed

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I always fantasized I would own a WRX one day. Way back when it wasn't offered in the states. Being young, high insurance rates kept me from owning one. I'm happy to say I own my first subaru, and I'm glad it isn't a scion.

But I'm sure there are a lot of FRS owners that are glad their car doesn't wear subaru badges. To each their own.
Coheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #55
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,849 Times in 1,638 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coheed View Post
I always fantasized I would own a WRX one day. Way back when it wasn't offered in the states. Being young, high insurance rates kept me from owning one. I'm happy to say I own my first subaru, and I'm glad it isn't a scion.

But I'm sure there are a lot of FRS owners that are glad their car doesn't wear subaru badges. To each their own.
Then there's the rest of us normal folk who don't give a crap about the label, just the car. Then again I'm probably your father's age.
I bought the Scion because when I heard about the upcoming model I registered with Scion to recieve notice of the presale. Then I found out about the Subaru afterward. Initially I wanted to just order the higher trim Subaru but decided the Scion packaging was a bit more "pure" for a sports car. Also, I liked the 86 heritage since I was a fan of the original Corolla GTS. In the end I am just spending on mods with the cash I would have spent on the luxury items.
I do laugh when people on the forum speak of Scion like it's the lowest of the low. Funny I never considered Subaru a prestige brand either. So the higher trim BRZ is maybe $3500 more than a base Scion. Big deal. That's like the cost of only one option package on a lower model BMW.

Must admit my xB is WAY more basic than I am used to. Mind you it blows away most people's winter beater (being new).

I have $55,000. total cash laid out on the initial purchases (excluding mods) of my 2 Scions last year. Funny I could had ONE fairly prestigious vehicle for that amount if I wanted it.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.

Last edited by wbradley; 12-30-2012 at 07:55 PM.
wbradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #56
jshadeck

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I debadged my IS300 before this car, and if anyone who didnt know lexus=toyota=scion asked me what i had i said a toyota sedan. This car is also debadged, and when people ask me what i drive i tell them a toyota/subaru joint built car. If they know alot about cars, i say scion frs. I dont care what badge is on a car (i prefer none for a cleaner look though) but i guess id still say at least in the area i live in, i wasnt "excited" to be grouped in with the "typical scion owner" group around here to the casual onlooker that sees me in front of them. Its kinda like the term "honda kid" or "ricer" being applied to any compact w a spoiler etc, there are ricers. Definitely. But there are well built hondas making alot of power that get looked at as "ricers" just cause its a honda w wheels etc.... Ignorant people think what they want.