follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 09-01-2021, 04:12 PM   #491
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokehmon View Post
Looking for a little direction - I cooked my PMU999's w/ stock calipers when I was out at the ridge last time (1.59's N/A, RS4).

I went a little trigger happy and installed my edelbrock supercharger - what would you guys recommend for pads, and if i should upgrade calipers?

Thanks!
I'm firmly in the camp of putting on proper track pads for the track. If you have the ability to change your pads: (1) 14mm wrench is all that's needed, then just slap on the track pads before headed down for the day.

I'm preferential to the Raybestos ST47 up front and 43 in the rear. The thing I like about the Raybestos is that they don't really need "bedding" and they don't care about what transfer layer is already on the rotor, so they really are a "throw them on and go" type of pad. Totemo races on GLOC and likes those as well. The problem you'll face on stock rotors/calipers is that without brake ducts you'll struggle with sustainability.

Get brake ducts, especially if you add more power or more tire - you'll find that without ducts you'll fade/melt any pad you put on the car.
Aztec (09-20-2021), bokehmon (09-08-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 08:21 PM   #492
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,364 Times in 7,403 Posts
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
I'm firmly in the camp of putting on proper track pads for the track. If you have the ability to change your pads: (1) 14mm wrench is all that's needed, then just slap on the track pads before headed down for the day.

I'm preferential to the Raybestos ST47 up front and 43 in the rear. The thing I like about the Raybestos is that they don't really need "bedding" and they don't care about what transfer layer is already on the rotor, so they really are a "throw them on and go" type of pad. Totemo races on GLOC and likes those as well. The problem you'll face on stock rotors/calipers is that without brake ducts you'll struggle with sustainability.

Get brake ducts, especially if you add more power or more tire - you'll find that without ducts you'll fade/melt any pad you put on the car.
Where you getting abs/lockup in the rear with ST47's front and rear? That was the setup I was probably going to run.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:43 PM   #493
rice_classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Where you getting abs/lockup in the rear with ST47's front and rear? That was the setup I was probably going to run.
I can’t run square. I had too much rear lockup with 45s on the rear and I still get some with the 43s but that’s ok. The 42s weren’t enough pad on the rear so 43 was the magic. 47s on the rear would be way too much lockup.
NoHaveMSG (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 08:44 PM   #494
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
I can’t run square. I had too much rear lockup with 45s on the rear and I still get some with the 43s but that’s ok. The 42s weren’t enough pad on the rear so 43 was the magic. 47s on the rear would be way too much lockup.
Ahh, gotcha. I need to look at their chart again.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:46 PM   #495
rice_classic

I may have 45s front/rear for cheap (used) if you want to cost effectively try things.
Old 09-02-2021, 12:42 AM   #496
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
I may have 45s front/rear for cheap (used) if you want to cost effectively try things.

I may take you up on that.
Old 09-02-2021, 02:09 AM   #497
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have new in box set of st43s f/r that I would probably sell since I'll most likely never use them.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:19 PM   #498
Aztec
Lost in the twisties

Drives: 2014 BRZ Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokehmon View Post
Looking for a little direction - I cooked my PMU999's w/ stock calipers when I was out at the ridge last time (1.59's N/A, RS4).

I went a little trigger happy and installed my edelbrock supercharger - what would you guys recommend for pads, and if i should upgrade calipers?

Thanks!
I have less track experience than a few others here. I can highly recommend a fantastic set of pads though:
Ferodo Racing DS2500
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SSD5R34

I've used them at ORP and I still was learning how much I can trust them, slowly braking later and later. Zero squeaks on the street too
~
Overall I generally agree though, once you get into more racing and track days it's better to run a great daily pad & a separate track pad
DS2500 is a nice mix of both
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aztec For This Useful Post:
bokehmon (09-08-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 02:26 PM   #499
Aztec
Lost in the twisties

Drives: 2014 BRZ Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Strongly considering adding brake ducts utilizing the empty fog lights I have in my front bumper right now.
Do you have any recommendations on brand? I am seeing Versus and APR as primary aftermarket options.
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:45 PM   #500
rice_classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
Strongly considering adding brake ducts utilizing the empty fog lights I have in my front bumper right now.
Do you have any recommendations on brand? I am seeing Versus and APR as primary aftermarket options.
I like both and have used both and have a combination of the two on my car. I use the apr backing plate, the verus pass thru black plastic thingy and then I use 5”-to-3” ducts with 3” hose that picks up behind the bumper grill for maximum flow.

Easy button is verus with fog light ducts. The APR routing of the ducts through the engine bay is not a feature I was fond of.
Aztec (09-03-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 12:10 AM   #501
Four_wheel_drifts

Drives: Whiteout track car; lava donor
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Aren’t you running a Stoptech front BBK? So Colin’s front pads won’t work?
Four_wheel_drifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 11:41 AM   #502
rice_classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four_wheel_drifts View Post
Nah man! He’s gonna convert his car into a T4 and come race with us!!

:wink wink nudge nudge:
NoHaveMSG (09-03-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 11:51 AM   #503
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four_wheel_drifts View Post
Crap I forgot about that.

Quote:
Nah man! He’s gonna convert his car into a T4 and come race with us!!

:wink wink nudge nudge:
LOL trust me I want to.
Old 09-05-2021, 01:52 PM   #504
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Well I am done for the year. Car needs too much more maintenance to do anymore of the late season days. 55.97 and 55.98 were the best I could manage. Wasn't running E85 so was a bit down on power and I ended up chunking both fronts after 3 session and had to switch to SX2's for the rest of the day.

Some things I learned this year. Taking the tighter line in 15 in second gear is faster. Still messing with this entry a bit. In later sessions looking at the relative times and delta's trail breaking and taking a narrow entry into T6 is faster in my car. 2nd gear for the thumb is quicker unless you have the gearing and torque to pull 3rd. On E85 if I get the entry right I can pull 3rd. I also need to work on my trail braking, like a lot. Last year really caused a lot of regression for me in my footwork. My threshold braking has become pretty crap too.

Compared to the S2000 video I posted earlier, I can't take some of the lines he does, the car will just not do it. I don't know the exact specs of his car as far as aero mods, I do know he was on A052's. I think a combination of the forward weight bias of the twins, plus his aero setup is the difference. On corners like 8A, turning in later and staying off the apex is too abrupt of a turn in and over works the front tires causing it to push too much. Attacking the Apex is much quicker for me. T4 is similar but doable if I get it just right, but not to the extent he does it.

Anyway, catch everyone out there next year.

Aztec (09-20-2021), bcj (09-05-2021), rice_classic (09-05-2021), Ultramaroon (09-05-2021)