follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-02-2014, 10:00 PM   #407
Zach3794

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Raven, Manual
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What that means is a skunk 2 header. You can bet it'll be a better bet to go JDL UEL or otherwise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.delicioustuning.com/node/209
Kraftwerks Supercharged
Zach3794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:48 PM   #408
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Drives: '13 FRS MT KW SC, '05 4Runner 4WD
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Installed the kit this weekend

I spent my time weekend installing the KW kit and I'm happy to say I'm just about done. I just need to put the bumper back on and go for a test drive (hopefully tomorrow). Programming the ECU with the off-the-shelf factory ECUtek tune was really easy. Overall, as others has indicated on this tread, the install was relatively straight-forward.

Some things to note & lessons learned for future installers of this kit:
1.) Quality is top notch of all parts. Only thing wrong with my kit was I was provided a smaller clamp (1-1.5") instead of the required 2" clamp so I had to get one from my friend (this is used on the output side of the Rotrex C30-94 S/C).
2.) Included instructions leave something to be desired. Providing the socket size and actual factory torque specs would have been useful. Additional photos would have been useful. As stated before above, the oil reservoir, filter, and cooler instructions are pretty bad. Definitely connect and orient the hoses prior to installing the reservoir & the filter.
3.) The crank pulley requires you to be in 6th gear to loosen. It required a 22mm socket (which strangely was not included/skipped from my tool set) and a bit of muscle pulling onto a spongy-feeling resistance. Factory torque spec (after installing the KW SC pulley adapter) is supposed to be somewhere between 94 fl/lbs and 125 ft/lbs.
4.) It took me a bit of time to figure out my hot side intercooler piping was flipped around. Make sure you pay careful attention to this (perhaps some airflow arrows would have helped idiots like me).
5.) In hindsight and looking at some other installs, it would be highly recommended that the two banjo's and washers be installed on the Rotrex prior to the Rotrex going onto the plate. Just be careful not to get anything in the S/C. The yellow oil plugs for the Rotrex C30-94 supercharger were very difficult to remove once it has already been installed onto the plate. I had a couple "oh shit" moments dealing with both plug tops getting ripped off & having to unscrew the rest just by the plastic barrels of the plugs themselves.
6.) Engine oil cooler clearance does look to be extremely tight. It does not look as if the Forester/OEM oil warmer/cooler would work without at least modifying the idler pulley bolt that juts in the space right above where the engine oil cooler is (see 8th photo below).
7.) The crank case breather tube routing to the intake would have been cleaner if they included a straight adapter instead of relying on the factory L-adapter. I will likely take of this myself in the near future (easy).
8.) It was a bit unnerving & difficult to cut through the factory brake booster hose (maybe cause I didn't have the best knife) because the instructions were not very clear. Once you install the vacuum "T" in place, run that vacuum line to the bypass valve.
9.) Although I did a lot of the install myself, it definitely helps to have another person around for several steps (ie installation of the plate onto the engine, routing of piping, etc.).
Attached Images

Last edited by mit_peid; 03-07-2014 at 12:31 PM.
mit_peid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mit_peid For This Useful Post:
F1point4 (03-04-2014), glamcem (03-13-2014), Ocho Seis (03-03-2014), OICU812 (03-03-2014), SPCorBUST (04-27-2014), wrohdejr (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 10:54 PM   #409
wrohdejr

Drives: 2013 subaru limited wrb brz
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit_peid View Post
I spent my time weekend installing the KW kit and I'm happy to say I'm just about done. I just need to put the bumper back on and go for a test drive (hopefully tomorrow). Programming the ECU with the off-the-shelf factory ECUtek tune was really easy. Overall, as others has indicated on this tread, the install was relatively straight-forward.

Some things to note & lessons learned for future installers of this kit:
1.) Quality is top notch of all parts. Only thing wrong with my kit was I was provided at 1.75" clamp instead of a 2" clamp so I had to get one from my friend.
2.) Included instructions leave something to be desired. Providing the actual factory torque specs would have been useful. Additional photos would have been useful. As stated before the oil reservoir, oil filter, and oil cooler instructions are pretty bad. Definitely connect and orient the hoses prior to installing the reservoir & the filter.
3.) It took me a bit of time to figure out my hot side intercooler piping was flipped around. Make sure you pay careful attention to this (perhaps some airflow arrows would have helped idiots like me).
4.) The yellow oil plugs for the Rotrex C30-94 supercharger were very difficult to remove once it has been installed onto the plate.
5.) Although I did most of the install myself, it does help to have another person around for several steps (ie installation of the plate onto the engine).
Your going to love it!!!

Portland 86ers
wrohdejr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wrohdejr For This Useful Post:
mit_peid (03-02-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 01:36 AM   #410
digital_assassin

Drives: 2013 FR-S Matte Orange
Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit_peid View Post
4.) The yellow oil plugs for the Rotrex C30-94 supercharger were very difficult to remove once it has been installed onto the plate.
This. One of those f*cking plugs sheared off on me and I had to use pliers to work it out. I was terrified a chunk would come off and fall into the Rotrex.
digital_assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:20 AM   #411
utekineir
blowhard

Drives: frs, project forester
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
^

Same
utekineir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #412
OmarGC
My FR-S has 5 gears

Drives: FRS/280z/Tundra
Thanked 1,065 Times in 572 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by utekineir View Post
^

Same
+1

2JZ - 6870 - stock block - 1000whp?

Instagram: 2jzus
OmarGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #413
Ocho Seis

Drives: 2013 Frs
Garage
Congrats on the kit and install , ur going to love it , with a good tune u should see some good numbers , I was able to get 296 whp 235 Tq , . Only thing I am getting use to is the Supercharger whine lol ....
Ocho Seis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ocho Seis For This Useful Post:
mit_peid (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 09:24 AM   #414
captain_jack

Drives: '13 raven frs, '10 taco,09 gsxr 600
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgi View Post
so what exactly doesn't fit with the KW setup and a those EL headers? Would other EL headers that have kinda 'flat' design like MXP, Borla, HKS, PPE could fit?
Yeah I don't know either, I have the agency power header and a dc sports overpipe. I'm not seeing where the fitment issues would be....it's on the bottom of the engine...

may the schwartz be with you....
captain_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:06 AM   #415
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocho Seis View Post
Congrats on the kit and install , ur going to love it , with a good tune u should see some good numbers , I was able to get 296 whp 235 Tq , . Only thing I am getting use to is the Supercharger whine lol ....

Thanks! What kind of supporting mods & what kind of gas were you on when you got 296whp/235tq? Did you start with the KW factory tune and if you did what was that HP/TQ baseline? Who is tuning your car?
Old 03-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #416
Ocho Seis

Drives: 2013 Frs
Garage
I am in Canada gas was pump 94 , no Kw base tune was tuned by Onpoint dyno in Toronto , Greddy evo3 exhuast , borla uel header , Misimoto rad ,
Ocho Seis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ocho Seis For This Useful Post:
mit_peid (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 11:50 AM   #417
digital_assassin

Drives: 2013 FR-S Matte Orange
Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_jack View Post
Yeah I don't know either, I have the agency power header and a dc sports overpipe. I'm not seeing where the fitment issues would be....it's on the bottom of the engine...

may the schwartz be with you....

Some EL headers turn up into the engine bay right in front of the crank pulley.
digital_assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #418
Zach3794

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Raven, Manual
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
All the headers I mentioned are long tubes that have primaries coming up into the engine bay. That is why they don't fit; the bracket for the supercharger is in the way, as well as the additional crank pulley. Every other header is fine because none of the others go up into the bay like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.delicioustuning.com/node/209
Kraftwerks Supercharged
Zach3794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #419
CARNZ
CHECK ENGINE

Drives: 2004 STi
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I can't give a definite time on when it will be, but I plan to get this kit and do whatever I Can to keep my forester oil cooler installed
Old 03-03-2014, 10:42 PM   #420
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARNZ View Post
I can't give a definite time on when it will be, but I plan to get this kit and do whatever I Can to keep my forester oil cooler installed
Is there anyway you can take a photo of the Forester oil cooler with a tape measure in the background 1.) first measuring the height of the unit and then 2) another photo measuring the diameter (is it larger than the base of the stock seat?).