follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #29
LeavingNormal
FRS2DTH

Drives: Hot Lava 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsmoreCowbell View Post
How many people got 87 in the tank on delivery? all my toyota dealership had in stock was 87. When I noticed them filling it up they said they had to let me leave with a full tank of gas. I asked them to stop but by then it was almost full and they said "these cars have oxygen sensors that compensate for the lower octane" I wasnt happy about it but one tank of 87 should not cause a huge problem. That being said. How many people probably got a car with 87? Prob alot.... because at the 2 dealers I went to only had 87 on their pumps on the lot. So buyer beware. You probably are getting the first full tank filled with 87. Really not a big deal but would have loved to be able to get the ball rolling on my terms. food for thought
My dealer took me to the gas station on my test drive and he filled it up with 91.
LeavingNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LeavingNormal For This Useful Post:
NeedsmoreCowbell (06-05-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #30
Brett
First 86

Drives: Whiteout MT FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNormal View Post
My dealer took me to the gas station on my test drive and he filled it up with 91.
Mine too. In fact, they didn't fill it up until after I bought it because they didn't want to put any miles on it.

Brett
Old 06-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #31
Boosted2.0

Drives: 13 FR-S, 00 Spyder&Celica, 08 Tundr
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
12:1 compression, as has been stated already, requires a higher octane to prevent chance of detonation/knocking. Knocking = damage to your engine, ranging from cracked piston rings to bent rods, and that is never a cheap fix. So, suck it up and get premium gas.

Also, from a lot of research I did after getting the S/C on my tC, "premium" = 91 or higher. As we say in the engineering world, K.I.S.S.--Keep it simple, stupid. Fuel your car with at least 91, maintain the recommended maintenance, and don't drive like a complete idiot.
Yup - and to be clear I said "over 12:1" The FA20 has a 12.5:1 compression ratio. The reason for my wording however, was that I would never put under 93 in a 12:1 car unless I had no choice (Cally, Oklahoma) where I would get the highest possible octane and quality
Boosted2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #32
Boosted2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsmoreCowbell View Post
How many people got 87 in the tank on delivery? all my toyota dealership had in stock was 87. When I noticed them filling it up they said they had to let me leave with a full tank of gas. I asked them to stop but by then it was almost full and they said "these cars have oxygen sensors that compensate for the lower octane" I wasnt happy about it but one tank of 87 should not cause a huge problem. That being said. How many people probably got a car with 87? Prob alot.... because at the 2 dealers I went to only had 87 on their pumps on the lot. So buyer beware. You probably are getting the first full tank filled with 87. Really not a big deal but would have loved to be able to get the ball rolling on my terms. food for thought
My salesman confirmed that it needed premium, and then went across the street to fill up. Bibin Thomas at Ft. Bend Toyota is great at his job.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #33
miata

Drives: 2006 Miata 5 spd
I won't believe anything written here until someone shows me a damaged engine due to using 87 oct gas in any gasoline engined car.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:12 AM   #34
dietz

Drives: Raven / 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post
I won't believe anything written here until someone shows me a damaged engine due to using 87 oct gas in any gasoline engined car.
Why not just read about what an octane rating actually means? It's not that complicated. Using 87 on a high compression engine is like putting gasoline in a diesel engine, but to a lesser extent. In fact, read the how stuff works article on the diesel engine and that should help you understand.
dietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #35
rikdrt1
Hypnotic FRS Member

Drives: FR-S [Raven]
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
i hate our stupid state of CA. stupid Environmentalists and the Left movement have ruined our gas too. only 5 in the entire state have no Ethanol - im sure its down to 0 by now.... sucks - i remember buying 95octane or 100 in some places in the early days..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmus View Post
The premium grade available in New Orleans is 93 octane but the majority of them have 10% Ethanol. Personally I use pure gasoline by looking for gas stations listed here http://pure-gas.org/ It's a matter of preference and I'd like to have the most energy-efficient burning gas available for my beloved car. =)

MotegiRacing - TRD Racing -OemAudio++- Michellin Pilot SuperSports- Greddy -FiveAxis - SparksScion - BlueBat Overlays -Pioneer -SWIFT Engineering Sports- Evasive Motorsports-
SoCAL
rikdrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:37 AM   #36
Moto-P

Drives: Many types of cars in R&D.
Thanked 3,058 Times in 568 Posts
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
With GDI, it's not as critical as detonation is less prone on 4D-S as ignitable mixture is not present in the compression cycle. However to advance the injection timing and ignition timing by engine and fuel system EFI mapping, the 91 and higher does exhibit and is needed for catalog specifications. It will run on 87 and I've already tested it... Dynamometer showed 11hp decrease, possibly due to the delays it needs to inject the 87 safely into a 12.5:1 compression chamber. But no pre-ignition (knock) was detected and it ran flawlessly as such for a full tank at 87 as well.
Consulting Member at Cusco, OEM+, RS-R.
www.club4ag.com
Moto-P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
NeedsmoreCowbell (06-05-2012), xxBrun0xx (07-13-2015)
Old 06-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #37
moniz

Drives: 2010 Mazda5 GT,2012 Honda Fit Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-P View Post
With GDI, it's not as critical as detonation is less prone on 4D-S as ignitable mixture is not present in the compression cycle. However to advance the injection timing and ignition timing by engine and fuel system EFI mapping, the 91 and higher does exhibit and is needed for catalog specifications. It will run on 87 and I've already tested it... Dynamometer showed 11hp decrease, possibly due to the delays it needs to inject the 87 safely into a 12.5:1 compression chamber. But no pre-ignition (knock) was detected and it ran flawlessly as such for a full tank at 87 as well.

Thanks for the info. Good to know

Question. I'm a Shell user and their Premium gas tops out at 91, but no ethanol. Now Petro-Canada branded stations(They are a Suncor brand) offer their Ultra Clean premium at 94 octane with ethanol. Which overall would be a better gasoline to use.
Past-'89 Civic Si ('93-'99)-'94 Civic Si ('99-'07)-'07 GTI(Lease)('07-'10)'98 Acura EL ('03-'13)Current-'12 Honda Fit Sport'10 Mazda5 ('10- Family car)No FR-S for me Kids in car seats still and just wouldn't work in an FR-S especially in winter.
moniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:13 AM   #38
Moto-P

Drives: Many types of cars in R&D.
Thanked 3,058 Times in 568 Posts
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moniz View Post
Thanks for the info. Good to know

Question. I'm a Shell user and their Premium gas tops out at 91, but no ethanol. Now Petro-Canada branded stations(They are a Suncor brand) offer their Ultra Clean premium at 94 octane with ethanol. Which overall would be a better gasoline to use.
Realistically, I think all major brand pump gas exceeds the requirements for what Toyota/Subaru has tested in reliability. I don't have the numerical data for the fuels, and vast majority of the difference is actually in your locale and season, as they mix different levels of detergents and anti-contamination agents for climate changes both in shipping and usage. Also some ill-maintained gas stations have rusty tanks that contaminate the gas in different levels too.

The best gas I found is to always seek a well-funded and better maintained gas station, who maintains, cleans, and calibrates the pumps and tanks, and to stick with desired gasoline octane that fits your needs and the recommendation grade for the car.
Again, however, GDI has very sophisticated timing of the injectors and operates very differently than traditional port-injected engines, and therefore, we'll see in due time, when people do more testing to see which gas the FA20 likes...in terms of making power, compatibility with ECU, and parameters that is specific to the really complex firing of 4D-S system.
Consulting Member at Cusco, OEM+, RS-R.
www.club4ag.com
Moto-P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
NeedsmoreCowbell (06-05-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #39
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post
Based on what I am seeing here, you likely wont. What you do see, as has also been pointed out, is a lower power, more sluggish engine. The nice part about modern engineering is that it helps to make cars more idiot-proof.

So, by all means, you may go ahead and save a few bucks and use 87, but please don't complain about the car being sluggish. Also, to my knowledge, there has been no long-term testing with 87. I would guess that running a below-recommended-octane fuel will likely lead to a premature buildup of sludge and carbon in the engine, since the retarded timing would seemingly lead to an incomplete burn.

Feel free to correct me on any of this, guys
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #40
Dragon86

Drives: Whiteout FR-S MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I didn't expect this thread to be this informative lol. However i'm gonna stick to premium fuel as what the car was supposed to run as. I just hope when i get my car, that they didnt put 87.
Dragon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #41
Boosted2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-P View Post
Knock was detected or you wouldn't have lost power. It wouldn't have been audible to you perhaps, but that is the whole point of the new 2 wire high rez knock sensors.

If you view the datalist and look at knock feedback value and knock correct learn value and ignition advance compared to a car being run on premium you can clearly see the differerence.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #42
smbrm

Drives: Scion FRS Ht Lva(AT)
There is another point to made here. The octane requirement of an engine does increase slightly over time and then levels off at a stabilized requirement, usually around 25-30k miles.

Last edited by smbrm; 06-05-2012 at 01:52 PM.
smbrm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uberstupid, use premium!, you can't fix stupid