follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #15
Apoc

Drives: Raven FR-S 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Boy View Post
My tune was optimized for WA 92oct , So BC chevron 94 (0 ethanol) was supposed to react very well. turns out that 91 Vpower here in BC is of better quality :/our chevron 94 based on datalogs is comparable to CA 91 ,BC is the only province with 94 ethanol free i believe, which i thought to be a good thing
Just keep in mind gas quality at the pump and octane rating are 2 separate factors. Generally if 94oct fuel is clean (no water or other crap) it will perform better in our cars than 91oct. Poor quality is more from how long the fuel has sitting in the underground tanks collecting condensation and other crap at the station and how often the fuel cycles through. When I fuel up here in Calgary tend to stick to stations I know are busy and I haven't had any problems with the quality.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #16
ToyoburuBRZ

Drives: Black BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Shell V-Power 91 always. At 20,000km with no crickets
ToyoburuBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:51 PM   #17
BC-Boy

Drives: 2013 Brz sport-tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
That exactly what ive come to notice here we get alot of tourist with boats in the summer so 94 gets used alot, winter not so much and it sits.
vpower seems to be even consumption all year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Just keep in mind gas quality at the pump and octane rating are 2 separate factors. Generally if 94oct fuel is clean (no water or other crap) it will perform better in our cars than 91oct. Poor quality is more from how long the fuel has sitting in the underground tanks collecting condensation and other crap at the station and how often the fuel cycles through. When I fuel up here in Calgary tend to stick to stations I know are busy and I haven't had any problems with the quality.
BC-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:35 PM   #18
topazsparrow

Drives: slow
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
So Chevron 94 isn't 94oct? I thought you couldn't label 94 octane in Canada unless it was tested as 94 or higher. I fill up with Husky in Calgary which is 94oct with 10% ethanol. My current tune is optimized for 93oct.

I'm not sure where this guy is getting his info from but Chevron 94 is consistently the best grade of fuel on the market in western Canada.

Shell is really good too but they can have bad batches (or have in the past) so I tend to shy from them. I've never once had an issue with chevron 94 on any of my previous fuel grade sensitive cars. I can't say the same for other brands.
topazsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:27 PM   #19
peebking

Drives: BRZ limited
I run 94 chevron with no issue
peebking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:07 PM   #20
BC-Boy

Garage
That may be true, but here in kelowna.. there are 6 chevrons, too many 94 pumps and not enough ppl using them,there are 3 shells, in the summer there are line-ups of boats waiting 94/91 but in the off season the gas goes bad, this is also what i have been hearing on the skyline forums that chev 94 has been know to put those cars into lowboost/limp mode, the 91vpower is causing less knock sensor compensation in my tune than the 94 chevron . just saying i cant run a 93 tune on it and not even a 91 without knock, yet v power will support the 91 tune better

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebking View Post
I run 94 chevron with no issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by topazsparrow View Post
I'm not sure where this guy is getting his info from but Chevron 94 is consistently the best grade of fuel on the market in western Canada.

Shell is really good too but they can have bad batches (or have in the past) so I tend to shy from them. I've never once had an issue with chevron 94 on any of my previous fuel grade sensitive cars. I can't say the same for other brands.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:43 PM   #21
D18

Drives: Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
Primarily Petro-Can 94. The occasional V-Power 91, and for those long weekends where the fuel price soars, Costco 91.

Been driving her since July 2012, No crickets until summer 2013. Now they come and go at random, I've had them with every type of fuel too, so I have just learned to live with them and ignore them.
D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:01 PM   #22
FreshFRS
KCCO From Canada

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I live in British Columbia, and the only +91 octane gas i can find is Chevron 94 which is worse than most 91 like shell, esso petro-can, Tunes optimized for US 92 are far from the 94 which is more like US 89-91. Ive been thinking of ordering some drums of Petro-can 94 has anyone found decent gas in BC ? Or any province for that matter, that is comparable to the US 92 ?
it really depends on the station you go to. the chevron station i use has brand new tanks and i haven't had a single problem with the 94, if i can't get chevron 94 i run shell v-power 91. I've heard that some of the chevron stations in the Vancouver area have been putting 91 in the 94 tanks and charging people for it. i ran 94 and 91 in my Boosted s2k and the difference was pretty apparent. i could push 2 more psi with it. but thats a different engine/boosted so not really apples to apples.
FreshFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:12 AM   #23
topazsparrow

Quote:
That may be true, but here in kelowna.. there are 6 chevrons, too many 94 pumps and not enough ppl using them,there are 3 shells, in the summer there are line-ups of boats waiting 94/91 but in the off season the gas goes bad, this is also what i have been hearing on the skyline forums that chev 94 has been know to put those cars into lowboost/limp mode, the 91vpower is causing less knock sensor compensation in my tune than the 94 chevron . just saying i cant run a 93 tune on it and not even a 91 without knock, yet v power will support the 91 tune better

I use the Chevron on Spall road. I see the tanker truck filling it up every week just about.

My friends who ride bikes all use that station and report zero issues as well.

What kind of problems have you been having?

As far as I know, the only stations in town that have 91+ without chirp inducing ethanol is Shell and Chevron. I've never had a problem with the chevron. I have had issues with Shell in Vancouver when I lived there though.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just wondering what leads you to believe that the chevron gas is any worse than the shell gas that's 3 octane levels lower.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:59 AM   #24
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
For daily driving, nothing but Shell 91 unless I get stuck somewhere with no shell stations around. For autox/lapping/etc I've always run Petro 94 for some extra headroom when driving it harder.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #25
Trac Toy

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
For daily driving, nothing but Shell 91 unless I get stuck somewhere with no shell stations around. For autox/lapping/etc I've always run Petro 94 for some extra headroom when driving it harder.

I was doing the same but found that especially during the summer months that 94 felt better in the car. Better pedal response etc. Sure I had the crickets to contend with but it's only a noise. So I run 94 exclusively.
Trac Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trac Toy For This Useful Post:
Gords_zenith (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #26
BC-Boy

Garage
Hey bud, what brings me to belive this is that my ecutek tune was for US 92oct but optimized for 93, and having 94 my tuner and i thought we would have a advantage but to the contrary we had to tune the car as if it had 91(mainly ign timing), i have been reading reviews on chev94 off gtrlife.com and many many gtr owners state that they encounter low boost mode more often than on 91, this is somthing i hear alot of bad chev 94 , i have since the car is new.. filled at the chevron on the corner of pandosy and harvey , never had issues car ran great but just now with the tune do i realise that the gas isnt as good as it should be, the guys at force fed say that they have trouble pushing 16psi on many turbo set-ups due to the bad gas quality , set ups that run fine at higher boost on different gas. i will try the one on spall as i have never tried it before and do some data logs with a more aggresive map see what she brings to the table thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by topazsparrow View Post
I use the Chevron on Spall road. I see the tanker truck filling it up every week just about.

My friends who ride bikes all use that station and report zero issues as well.

What kind of problems have you been having?

As far as I know, the only stations in town that have 91+ without chirp inducing ethanol is Shell and Chevron. I've never had a problem with the chevron. I have had issues with Shell in Vancouver when I lived there though.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just wondering what leads you to believe that the chevron gas is any worse than the shell gas that's 3 octane levels lower.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #27
topazsparrow

Quote:
Hey bud, what brings me to belive this is that my ecutek tune was for US 92oct but optimized for 93, and having 94 my tuner and i thought we would have a advantage but to the contrary we had to tune the car as if it had 91(mainly ign timing), i have been reading reviews on chev94 off gtrlife.com and many many gtr owners state that they encounter low boost mode more often than on 91, this is somthing i hear alot of bad chev 94 , i have since the car is new.. filled at the chevron on the corner of pandosy and harvey , never had issues car ran great but just now with the tune do i realise that the gas isnt as good as it should be, the guys at force fed say that they have trouble pushing 16psi on many turbo set-ups due to the bad gas quality , set ups that run fine at higher boost on different gas. i will try the one on spall as i have never tried it before and do some data logs with a more aggresive map see what she brings to the table thanks man
Interesting. I've never had any cars that were tuned to the bleeding edge so you might be in a better place to say here I guess.

Who does your tuning?
Old 03-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #28
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trac Toy View Post
I was doing the same but found that especially during the summer months that 94 felt better in the car. Better pedal response etc. Sure I had the crickets to contend with but it's only a noise. So I run 94 exclusively.
I spend too much time either stuck in traffic or just cruising at highway speed to notice much, but you're right that it does seem to respond a bit better. For daily commuting I find the better mileage I get from Shell 91 is more worth it than the bit of extra performance I get from Petro 94.

Quote:
The stock tune is meant for 93 octane, so it's not uncommon to see some knock on 91 even on the stock tune.

Tags
canada, gas, tune