follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-04-2016, 05:13 AM   #15
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wow, what a nightmare.

Do you have any mods installed on the car? CAI or anything?
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:33 AM   #16
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I would do one of two things:
1. Read up on California Lemon Law and then do the paperwork to apply for lemoning the car.
2. Consult with a Lemon Law lawyer.

I would not tell the dealership or Toyota that you're doing this until you're ready to give them papers.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:17 AM   #17
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
UGH, why did it cost 17k for a block and some exhaust work. Why did they have to replace the exhaust, WTF did this guy do to the car before. Sounds like an idiot owned this car before you did. Did you see a carfax on this car? Never touch a used car without a carfx.

Extreme heat bent that thing, hydro lock, does that, LOCKS the engine and that happens when you start pumping water instead of fuel thru it. Im going with what the guy said, this idiot drove that car under extreme heat conditions. It was running hot and the fool drove anyway.

To bad you are the end user. Hopefully someone does something for you, because right now you are getting the shaft

Also not sure about lemon law there, but it only applies to new cars here and the same owner has to take the car in three times with failure to resolve before they can lemon it.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:04 AM   #18
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardsFRS View Post
UGH, why did it cost 17k for a block and some exhaust work. Why did they have to replace the exhaust, WTF did this guy do to the car before. Sounds like an idiot owned this car before you did. Did you see a carfax on this car? Never touch a used car without a carfx.

Extreme heat bent that thing, hydro lock, does that, LOCKS the engine and that happens when you start pumping water instead of fuel thru it. Im going with what the guy said, this idiot drove that car under extreme heat conditions. It was running hot and the fool drove anyway.

To bad you are the end user. Hopefully someone does something for you, because right now you are getting the shaft

Also not sure about lemon law there, but it only applies to new cars here and the same owner has to take the car in three times with failure to resolve before they can lemon it.
Out of boredom I checked it out and in Ca used cars are covered by Lemon Law:

How the Used Car Lemon Law Protects You if You Received a Dealer Warranty

If the dealer provided a warranty with your used car, then you are protected in two significant ways. First, during the term of the warranty you are protected in much the same way as the new car lemon law for the parts and components covered by the warranty. Dealer warranties usually cover only certain parts and components, but if one of those components fails causing a substantial defect then the dealer must fix it within a reasonable number of attempts or offer you a lemon law buyback if it is unable to do so.

Looks like the "reasonable" number of repair attempts is normally 2. http://thelemonlawcalifornia.com/lem...ar-is-a-lemon/

Now, all of that is irrelevant in that the dealer (at this point) will not even attempt to repair and is denying warranty coverage. From everything I could find a denial of warranty coverage is not going to get the car covered by Lemon Law since it distinctly requires attempts to be made. Sort of a Catch 22 in the OP's case.

If neither the factory or extended warranty holders want to cover the repairs then the OP needs to lawyer up. It is not clear which party bears the burden of proof (dealer proving there was an outside influence and owner proving there was not) when it comes to warranty denial and cases seem to have been decided both ways. It would appear from what we know here that the OP may have a good case but then we have not heard the other side of the story.
Brandond15 (08-04-2016), strat61caster (08-10-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 08:44 AM   #19
Brandond15

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Adding, in California you need to dispute this via arbitration if you choose the lemon law route:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/acpprocess.shtml
Yeah, not quite sure if lemon law applies when a dealer ship denies warranty though.. Have to look more into it.
Brandond15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:45 AM   #20
Brandond15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
An injector has to totally fail to a point to not atomize the gas. If a DS injector failed it is possible. Sounds like since it was a replacement engine it should be replaced again under warranty. Was the replacement engine a new engine or used? May not matter but curious
The replacement engine was a used engine I believe. Seems to me that every time an engine is replaced, it is a used one.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:47 AM   #21
Brandond15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
YIKES! ...........what a mess ........

So, can they tell if anything else is wrong with the engine, except a bent piston rod..??

If not, it would seem that they would just replace the rod and put the engine back together and put it back into the car......

That's what I would ask them to do.

humfrz
As of now I only know of the bent engine rod being the issue. But they did quote me for $5,200 or so for repairing the engine... Yet they said if they only repair the engine, no warranty would be offered. The price to put a new engine in is around $7,300. Reason they're not that big of a difference is because the repairing uses a lot more labor.

Note: the prices include the $1,000 fee for tearing the engine open
Old 08-04-2016, 08:49 AM   #22
Brandond15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
Wow, what a nightmare.

Do you have any mods installed on the car? CAI or anything?
No mods at all. Completely stock.

Well, i haven't put anything on it since I got it. It did come with a carbon fiber hood and with Megan Racing lowering springs but that's about it. Oh and maybe they removed the resonator or something because it is louder than other stock frs' yet the exhaust is stock.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:50 AM   #23
Brandond15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
I would do one of two things:
1. Read up on California Lemon Law and then do the paperwork to apply for lemoning the car.
2. Consult with a Lemon Law lawyer.

I would not tell the dealership or Toyota that you're doing this until you're ready to give them papers.
Not sure if lemon law would apply here though since it's warranty denying coverage rather than an issue not being fixed after attempted repairs.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:51 AM   #24
Brandond15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardsFRS View Post

Exactly my question! He had to have done so much to it. Yet Warranty still covered it!? It makes no sense to me. But yeah it sucks that I'm the one having to pay for someone else's mistakes.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:26 AM   #25
billwot

Drives: '11 Cayman , '14 Camry, '11 Tacoma
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandond15 View Post
The replacement engine was a used engine I believe. Seems to me that every time an engine is replaced, it is a used one.
If it was a warranty replacement, it definitely was NOT a used engine!
billwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:27 AM   #26
billwot

Drives: '11 Cayman , '14 Camry, '11 Tacoma
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Re: the failed injector theory.

Even if an injector failed in the open condition, there is no fuel flow/fuel delivery unless the fuel pump is running.
billwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:53 PM   #27
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandond15 View Post
No mods at all. Completely stock.

Well, i haven't put anything on it since I got it. It did come with a carbon fiber hood and with Megan Racing lowering springs but that's about it. Oh and maybe they removed the resonator or something because it is louder than other stock frs' yet the exhaust is stock.
I wouldn't get a modded car myself because you never know what the last guy did. You can guarantee it was run hard and probably developed the problem with the rod because of past abuse. If the past owner had a CAI with a really low intake it could have ingested water before that's getting exposed now ano that's juat why the past owner gor rI'd of it. Either way, I hope the dealership takes care of you.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:11 PM   #28
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
I would also talk to the dealer you got the car from. They not only represented the warranty as valid, they also sold you an extra warranty. This is their shit sandwich too. But nobody will voluntarily eat it.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (08-10-2016)