follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-24-2014, 04:44 PM   #197
DougW

Drives: FR-S stock for now
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Don't see it happening unless I can find a retail partner in the southeast to help develop the package, I've been back and forth to the neurologist on my back, looks like I my be down for a while something about using a giga watt transmitter to burn some nerves, I already glow at night. I just can't see doing this myself.
Sorry it's got great potential maybe Bilstein will do it.
DougW
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DougW For This Useful Post:
8686 (08-24-2014), Anthonytpt (08-25-2014), Calum (08-25-2014), civicdrivr (08-25-2014), DAEMANO (08-24-2014), solidONE (08-24-2014), Turdinator (08-24-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #198
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
Don't see it happening unless I can find a retail partner in the southeast to help develop the package, I've been back and forth to the neurologist on my back, looks like I my be down for a while something about using a giga watt transmitter to burn some nerves, I already glow at night. I just can't see doing this myself.
Sorry it's got great potential maybe Bilstein will do it.
DougW
Oh man... hope everything work out well with the treatment.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:52 PM   #199
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
FA20 club should get all over this. But no srriously bar them from contacting you...

Southeast you say...hmm SSP is one that i know of. Jamesm could potentially be one...thats off the top of my head
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #200
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Just another "out-there" idea, since we're talking about ride height adjustment and Damptronic... has @DougW or anyone else come across a proper Damptronic setup that uses air/hydraulic springs?

I found this guy:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KERMoA4jZb4"]Porsche 911 GT2 Bilstein Damptronic + Airlift system. - YouTube[/ame]

Within the Damptronic tuning, what are you currently using as input parameters?

There are plenty of Damptronic systems that use progressive springs. What about adding a series spring (that's air pressure dependent)? You could still do all of the "cool stuff" that makes Damptronic worthwhile (active soft/hard adjustments). Progressive springs vary with position, but bags/cylinders vary with pressure too..

Over-simplified thought process:
F_damper = b * V_piston

where
b = f(Theta_adjuster)
V_piston = d/dt(X_piston)
and

Theta_adjuster = base_map(K_spring) * percent_adjustment_heave(V_piston, d/dt(V_piston)) * percent_adjustment_roll(V_piston_left_avg - V_piston_right_avg) * percent_adjustment_pitch(V_piston_front_avg - V_piston_rear_avg)

where

K_spring = f(Pressure, X_piston)
base_map = using the spring rate, calculate the adjuster position that yields the best steady-state damping coefficient
V_piston_left_avg = average velocity of the left side dampers
You see where I'm going? This would require characterization of the damper and bag/cylinder. The user could scale the "base_map" and the adjusters could be simplified into high-speed and low-speed for compression and rebound. Those values would scale the "percent_adjustment" maps.

Once you get the target Theta_adjuster, it's a straight-forward tracking problem. Dead zone + PID should be enough to prevent limit cycles and instability.

For something like this, what kind of hardware is typically used to manage the adjuster? What are you guys coding with?
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #201
DougW

I looked at an airbag the only issue was the ID was to small to use the coil over sleeves so the body would have to be threaded instead or bore out the air bag. One could control about everything with some ride height sensors on the A arm to get velocity. The new GT3 Porsche has 3 g sensors and 4 ride height along with all the CAN data, we are just getting started on that one. I'm not very focused on all this stuff right now though.
DougW
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DougW For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (08-26-2014), DAEMANO (08-25-2014), Shankenstein (08-25-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #202
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Anything new @DougW?
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #203
DougW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
Anything new @DougW?
Not really, still on hold.
DougW