follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #29
cruzinbill

Drives: Argento 6spd FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shit Luck View Post
looks like its $50 bucks plus the obd adapter.... might be worth a shot.
You can just buy the bt1 and their software is free to use with it, If you like it then you can buy a headunit that works with it. if you dont like it sell the bt1
cruzinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #30
Shit Luck

Drives: red frs
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzinbill View Post
You can just buy the bt1 and their software is free to use with it, If you like it then you can buy a headunit that works with it. if you dont like it sell the bt1
i would need to buy a device to run it on... I am a windows phone owner. so either way i am gonna have to buy something.
Shit Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #31
cruzinbill

Garage
Quote:
i would need to buy a device to run it on... I am a windows phone owner. so either way i am gonna have to buy something.
Oh, then ya. Sadly that's the downside with windows phones they kinda dropped the all in the app side of things, b ut I think you could use an Ipod touch. I can look around and see what I can find in a lil bit.

Yep, Ipod touch will work with it, so you can just leave it thrown in the glove box to handle that and any music you want to put on it.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #32
Shit Luck

Quote:
Oh, then ya. Sadly that's the downside with windows phones they kinda dropped the all in the app side of things, b ut I think you could use an Ipod touch. I can look around and see what I can find in a lil bit.

Yep, Ipod touch will work with it, so you can just leave it thrown in the glove box to handle that and any music you want to put on it.
i guess i need to decide what route i want to go for all this....
this has really snowballed into a completely new project.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #33
cruzinbill

Garage
Quote:
i guess i need to decide what route i want to go for all this....
this has really snowballed into a completely new project.
any friends have an iphone? you could buy it and use theirs to see if it will work for your needs
Old 06-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #34
Shit Luck

Quote:
any friends have an iphone? you could buy it and use theirs to see if it will work for your needs
not really sure... i think my g/f has an android. i will have to check.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #35
Zippy

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ WRB AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
There is another option that was not mentioned. You could go the carputer route. Centrafuse allows you to Bluetooth tether your phone for talking as an app. It also allows you to run XM software instead of the hardware. Also any mp3 files or movies you put on the hard drive would be accessible to you. You would need to get a USB internet access stick or wifi hotspot your phone to it to get internet access. You would also need a DSP for the carputer to connect to an amp and a touch screen to control it. $170 for a 7" touch screen and the cost of the carputer itself. Here a link with some prebuilt carputers.

http://www.mo-co-so.com/In-Vehicle-M...ers-s/1670.htm

There are both benefits and draw backs to doing this. cruzinbill has had experience with them in the past from other threads I have read and may be a better resource than I on the subject.
Zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #36
cruzinbill

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
There is another option that was not mentioned. You could go the carputer route. Centrafuse allows you to Bluetooth tether your phone for talking as an app. It also allows you to run XM software instead of the hardware. Also any mp3 files or movies you put on the hard drive would be accessible to you. You would need to get a USB internet access stick or wifi hotspot your phone to it to get internet access. You would also need a DSP for the carputer to connect to an amp and a touch screen to control it. $170 for a 7" touch screen and the cost of the carputer itself. Here a link with some prebuilt carputers.

http://www.mo-co-so.com/In-Vehicle-M...ers-s/1670.htm

There are both benefits and draw backs to doing this. cruzinbill has had experience with them in the past from other threads I have read and may be a better resource than I on the subject.

Ya.... I wouldn't recommend a carputer to a novice, well or anyone that doesn't have a ton of time and effort to devote to get it going right. There are a ton of things you have to add to them to just be up to par with a modern double din.

They are cool when you finally get everything setup tho. I had one when I had my SC300. There are still issues with startup and shutdown too. Sometimes it would work fine other times, I would end up giving up and driving in silence. I tried multiple setups with multiple parts, was just never great.

Now you could get crazy and mold a windows tablet in the dash and add a usb xm module. that would be the lightest option, but most expensive and you couldnt put gauges there.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #37
Shit Luck

i will try the dash command thing and see how i like it...