follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 12-12-2011, 09:04 AM   #43
Yenadar
Rotorhead

Drives: 2005 WWP RX-8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonBLUE View Post
????? what ?????
i love my manual, i am getting the auto ft86 though( i know shun me but i have kids and will pass this car down and i dont think you should drive a stick till youve learned to drive a car in the first place, ie with an auto).... but ive only been driving a manual for 2 years (learned from scratch leaving the lot) and now its second nature
i personally don't think about shifting when im heel toeing(which is completely unnecessary) when coming up to stop light, off ramps, emergency stops

drive a manual long enough and you wont feel the difference between auto and stick
Everyone should learn on a manual. Those that hate it, medical reasons, or simply terrible traffic, can go to auto. I've noticed that people driving manuals tend to be more aware of their car and what is around them. Driving an auto allows more time for your mind to wander, and on the road that isn't a good thing.

The last line is generally false for an enthusiast. Drive a manual long enough and you won't be able to stand going back to an automatic.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #44
oneday
Opinionated

Drives: Something Red
The car I autocrossed for 2010 was a paddle shifter (6-spd sequential [GXR1000 motor/trans]) and I really enjoyed being able to concentrate on throttle (right foot) and braking (left foot) inputs without needing to worry about shift points, so I was very excited at the prospect of getting a 6ST version of the FR-S. But then when I read it forced upshifts at the rev limiter and would refused downshifts, that was a deal breaker. I guess I will be getting a three-pedalled car again afterall.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #45
Gardus@Supersprint
Banned

Drives: Clio TCE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Here in Italy Smartcars and big saloon/estates are the only cars with an automatic.
It began to become popular with the introduction of the DSG by VAG.

I had the chance to test a lot of cars, both as a driver and a passenger and my general opinion is:
Dual clutch systems are as good as the software is.
The VW/Audi systems are VERY good, the same is true for the BMW and the PDK.
Even small cars like the Polo GTI do a very, very good job.
The Mercedes, even if mechanically is the same Graziano unit on other cars, is a bit behind on the software, even the SLS is far from perfect in the downshifts.
The best system, with consideration for the power/torque it has to manage, it the one in the Nissan GTR.

Automated manual can be VERY bad (Alfa Romeo for example) but can also be good in spirited driving (SMG2 and 3 on M3/5) but they're rubbish when manouvering, uphill starts, reversing etc. In general I prefer a manual od a double clutch system.

Pure automatics are usually rubbish in anything but cruising and start/stop traffic.
The last ZF boxes are not so bad, for example the one in the Cooper S is pretty good but still a bit lacking in the downshifts and a bit slow everywhere.

I was very impressed by the syncrorev function of the 370Z, the automatic heel&toe system. It works flawlessy and it's such a clever idea I don't know why other brands don't fit them as standard on their manual cars.

Just a side note: VAG is the most experienced manifacturer for what concerns double clutch systems, they even fitted one to the Veyron. I find it strange and funny that the R8 has an automated manual with the same name (R-tronic..or is it s-tronic?) that other cars in their range use for dc systems. At the same time the R8 is the last car available with a open gate manual gearbox and that adorable CLICK-CLACK sound when shifting, but without the clumsyness of the old Ferraris.
And still most of the customers go for the r-tronic...what a shame.

Last edited by Gardus@Supersprint; 12-12-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Gardus@Supersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #46
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneday View Post
The car I autocrossed for 2010 was a paddle shifter (6-spd sequential [GXR1000 motor/trans]) and I really enjoyed being able to concentrate on throttle (right foot) and braking (left foot) inputs without needing to worry about shift points, so I was very excited at the prospect of getting a 6ST version of the FR-S. But then when I read it forced upshifts at the rev limiter and would refused downshifts, that was a deal breaker. I guess I will be getting a three-pedalled car again afterall.

This. When its about being fast, a good paddle shift setup is what the doctor ordered. Just about fun? 3 pedals is the more involving option. In a great car it's akin to whacking off yourself as opposed to getting a really good hand Job.
The 'FT' stands for 'forgot topic'.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #47
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenadar View Post
Everyone should learn on a manual. Those that hate it, medical reasons, or simply terrible traffic, can go to auto. I've noticed that people driving manuals tend to be more aware of their car and what is around them. Driving an auto allows more time for your mind to wander, and on the road that isn't a good thing.

The last line is generally false for an enthusiast. Drive a manual long enough and you won't be able to stand going back to an automatic.
im talking about how the car feels during every shift, you can get them down smooth enough to where you cant tell the difference in your car(manual) to an auto camry

my clutch isnt soft either :P
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #48
Altezza_86

Drives: IS300
i didnt read anybody else's post, but this is my 2 cents. I have an IS300 with the e-shift. It is awesome, but my main complaint with it was the lag time from button press to actual gear shift. i wish it would shifted more like an ISF or similiar. i just hope that for fr-s/brz's shifting is faster. but honestly i'd rather just have the 6spd manual
Altezza_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #49
LSxJunkie
Douchebag

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
In a great car it's akin to whacking off yourself as opposed to getting a really good hand Job.
Entirely subjective.

In a great car, it can be like jacking off. Sure, the gated 599s suck because the entire car was built and programmed around the transmission. Fine. Whatever.

In advance, I apologize to all of our female members.

However, heel-toeing down into a corner vs. flicking the left paddle can be the difference between massaging the clitoris and just fingerbanging the everloving shit out of a girl. It might be a little slower and require more skill. However, it is also infinitely more satisfying if you know what you're doing.

And the 991 GT3 is STILL not coming with a PDK. Porsche refuses to put one in. And it's certainly not because it can't handle the power.

Last edited by LSxJunkie; 12-14-2011 at 07:21 PM.
LSxJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #50
SevenTenSplit

Drives: Honda S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
And the 991 GT3 is STILL not coming with a PDK. Porsche refuses to put one in. And it's certainly not because it can't handle the power.
I love how they intend on keeping it 6speed. I can't imagine a GT3 with anything but it. For purists purposes, I suppose.
SevenTenSplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:10 PM   #51
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenTenSplit View Post
I love how they intend on keeping it 6speed. I can't imagine a GT3 with anything but it. For purists purposes, I suppose.

I thought they made a new 7 speed for the GT3?
Old 12-15-2011, 06:36 PM   #52
Blaster

Drives: 2007 VW GTI
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
My GTI has the DSG transmission. I think it's excellent. However I do miss driving a manual. I respect the technology and it's incredible how fast the car shifts, but I miss being in total control. Nothing like rowing through gears
Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:12 AM   #53
Gardus@Supersprint
Banned

Drives: Clio TCE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
I thought they made a new 7 speed for the GT3?
Yes, there this semi-official rumour that all the 991 cars will have a manual 7 speed box...You'll ne to aks the passenger to put in 7th.
The 7th gear will be VERY long and the ECU will have a "coasting" function that will lift the cluth when cruising and the engine is not under load.
This seem very strange to me honestly!
Gardus@Supersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:41 AM   #54
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
This thread is actually civilized. I just hope the elitist,extremist don't get wind of this thread. N2Oinferno and Madfast posts seems the most level headed to me in here and everybody isn't throwing insults so this is a first.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #55
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardus View Post
Yes, there this semi-official rumour that all the 991 cars will have a manual 7 speed box...You'll ne to aks the passenger to put in 7th.
The 7th gear will be VERY long and the ECU will have a "coasting" function that will lift the cluth when cruising and the engine is not under load.
This seem very strange to me honestly!
I think the coasting function is for automatic only? It makes sense on level road.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #56
Altezza_86

Drives: IS300
Found this in Road & Track's review on the ft86.

"For those who think the 6-speed automatic transmission is a wrong fit for this car, you might think twice after spending some time with the paddle shifters in sport mode. The auto gearbox’s origin is the sporty Lexus IS-F’s 8-speed paddle-shift transmission, and the FR-S takes full advantage of the quick shift times that make the car feel alive on the track."

ME GUSTA
Altezza_86 is offline   Reply With Quote