follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #71
Yenadar
Rotorhead

Drives: 2005 WWP RX-8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Clutch spinning arc would be my ankles, dash, and windshield. Renesis is back in there
Old 12-11-2011, 09:03 PM   #72
subaruslow

Drives: subaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof1ig8tor View Post
This car, and its market, seem to nearly overlap the RX-8 in every category. Curious why we (me included) didn't buy the RX-8 if we want a light rear wheel drive sports car with a unique engine?

Also, what are the opinions about how many of these will sell? Reported numbers for the BRZ state Subaru is expecting sales of about 3,000 units a year, which is a mere drop in the US market (and about how the RX8 has fared).

Really interested in others' opinions on this.
cause we want a car that actually starts within 20 minutes of being shut off.
subaruslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #73
Yenadar
Rotorhead

Drives: 2005 WWP RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaruslow View Post
cause we want a car that actually starts within 20 minutes of being shut off.
I think only British roadsters fail to meet that point...

Even if I was to do something as stupid and negligent as to ignore the health of my RX-8's ignition (which is how a 'flood' can occur), it's warm within 3 minutes. You can turn off an 8 bone cold and it will restart, unless you have a failing ignition system, battery, or starter.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:38 PM   #74
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
Speaking of starter, I need a new one. Issue with 8 is not the ca but stupid, negligent retarded owners. Mine has 120k km on the clock, previous owner was smart and anal Bout service (as am I) and the engine is still as new (compression and power same as factory, 5hp down but can't complain with 45deg Celsius atmosphere temp)
Old 12-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #75
whitejdm

Drives: BRZ prem.
I always found the main problem with the RX8 was just the power delivery, yes it was turbine smooth but you just can't match a piston engine. Take for instance the 0-60 vs 5-60 time; low 6's for the 0-60mph but mid to high 7's for the 5-60mph which is a far better test of the engines flexibility in most normal situations. The torque delivery of the boxer is going to make the 86 faster overall.
whitejdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #76
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
I realize this is of limited value, but FWIW I've spent a couple hours in GT5 comparing a stock GT86 and RX8 (both at its stock power and detuned to 232 HP). I didn't find out anything unexpected, but in case anyone is interested:

The GT86 comes with "Sport Hard" tires, while the RX8 comes with "Comfort Soft" tires. Left like that, the GT86 is faster than the RX8 around the Top Gear Test track, but when equipped with the same tires, the GT86 is a bit slower than the RX8 (at either power level).

Of course, even real-world track times (never mind virtual ones) are only indicators of how a car does as a daily driver... however, the GT86 is a bit more responsive, tossable, and forgiving than the RX8 (even when the GT86's tires are downgraded to match the RX8's). If that that translates to the real world, the FT86 will be a better RX8 than the RX8.
Deslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:52 PM   #77
brillo

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I have a 2004 base model RX8, 81k, original engine no major issues, car gets about 16-17 city and 23-24hwy for me at 70mph.

After 7 years of ownership, I'm looking at the FR-S for something new, not that I haven't liked the Rx8, just want something different. My RX8 has be tracked and daily driven and never given me an issue. I run royal purple oil in the car, expertly maintain it, and drive it hard. The 8 is a really fun car to drive with enough usable space to make it your only car. Few sports cars can say that. The FR-S is close in terms of utility but the RX8 still has more rear room. I'm looking for something light and fun like the RX8, but with better mileage. As I can't imagine not having RWD, the FR-S is about the only game in town. 370z is nice, but I like the looks and lightness of the FR-S better.

I consider the RX8 to be in the same category with the FR-S, that said, the FR-S is a much newer platform (by 10 years now) so it really does a good job delivering a drivers car with economy and some utility.
brillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #78
NastyNate

Drives: 05 MazdaSpeed Miata
I considered the rx8 for quite a while when I was still dding my motorcycle. I didnt get one due to the 3door, lack of torque, and for me it felt big. That only left the miata and s2k. The miata is at home.
NastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #79
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Good fuel mileage and less torque-hurt spinning triangles for starters
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #80
midenginebias

Drives: 2001 Mr2 Spyder
When Toyota requested feedback through the Heya project, as to what car people wanted to see from the company; they were all along the lines of bringing specific names. Mr2. Supra. Rx8. S2000. AE86. I moderated the board for Toyota and a lot of great ideas came in through the board, but I recall mentioning something in the mold of an Rx8. The worst it could be is a RWD Tc. The best it could be was an Rx8/350z competitor. Enough practicality to be a DD. 2+2. An "alternative" engine like a boxer, instead of an inline 4. High revving. Rwd. 2900-3200lb. curb weight target. $20k price point.

A lot of considerations were taken from that board and implemented into the car.

I specifically recall, what people truly wanted. It wasn't all about horsepower, torque, 0-60. It was all about handling, responsiveness, "enough" power, and practicality to boot.

I'm just impressed that it's been so highly regarded through the automotive press and that Toyota and Subaru were able to collaborate so effectively.

More specifically, I was hoping there would be a strip model; easy to mod, A/C and mp3 connections, traction control disable, on 16" steel wheels. Once you get rid of the leather, alcantara, HIDs, bluetooth, navigation, wheel/tire combination, etc., the price point should drop another $2-4k.
midenginebias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #81
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSHC View Post
Good fuel mileage and less torque-hurt spinning triangles for starters
except the rx8 has more tq than the frs
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #82
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
except the rx8 has more tq than the frs
The RX-8 also has short gearing. The new ones have 4.777 rear axle gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #83
spin9k

Drives: RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfawishes View Post
Finally the RX8 HAS REACHED IT"S DEMISE. A total failure as a replacement to the rx7, should have never been called the rx8, or had such weak horsepower.

Good Riddance, try again.
In case you missed the last 9 years, the RX-8 was never intended to be a replacement for the RX-7, would logically be called the RX-8 in Mazda's naming convention after the RX-7, and has a slightly better P/W (IYO weak) ratio than the GT-86, in case you don't realize what forum you're on currently But don't let the facts get in the way of your hate....
spin9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #84
spin9k

Drives: RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfawishes View Post
Actually if you go back in time, the rx7 was suppose to have a new generation coming and coming and coming, and mazda claimed and claimed and claimed. Then what we got was the rx-8. Uh gong to #8= replacement/ new model. Your logic is nuts.

If you think the rx8 was not originally marketed as the replacement/new gen rx7 you are just too young I guess and don't remember.

Having a slightly better p/w than base model gt86 is not impressive.

The Mazda RX-8 is a sports car manufactured by Mazda Motor Corporation. It first appeared in 2001 at the North American International Auto Show. It is the successor to the RX-7 and, like its predecessors in the RX range, it is powered by a Wankel engine.

The successor of the rx7 was performance challenge amongst other things, the proof is in the number of sales.
Thanks for the too young complement

I can tell from your comments the RX-8 and its power level was not your cup of tea, but that doesn't keep it from being one amazingly sweet ride, if you're into those kinds of cars, i.e., lightweight, agile, just enough power, momentum cars that don't cost an arm and two legs and are fun to mod.

You can either focus on how horrible it was the RX-8 wasn't the RX-7 successor of your (or someones) fantasy ... or focus the car's strengths as a sports car. It does many things very very well, and I'll guarantee you it's one of the highest /miles rides around.

It's interesting to me that a decade later and the GT-86 is looking to be a virtual match/or less in most performance parameters for the RX-8. GT-86 weight is down, HP is down too, suspension is less nice. All in all, I'd offer the GT-86 vs RX-8 comparison is valid to the point it shows how difficult it is to realize performance improvements even 10 yrs down the road. I only wish Mazda had some competition out too, but hey, I'm for anyone that wants to introduce a contemporary sports car bargain.
spin9k is offline   Reply With Quote