follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

View Poll Results: Do you have chirping (cricket) noise during idle once the car is warmed up?
Yes (Please only vote after you have 300 miles or more on the odometer) 3,100 85.21%
No (Please only vote after you have 300 miles or more on the odometer) 538 14.79%
Voters: 3638. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 05-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #1849
Demiurge

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
I was wrong, and I'll admit it.

Spoke to one of the engineers today regarding the chirping issue and can't disclose all of our discussion but he did confirm that the pump WAS revised in February. For reasons he couldn't divulge the part number has strangely remained the same. However, the revised parts will have a green dot next to the part number on the box, that is the only way you can tell the difference between the old part and the revised part.

So get your chirping cars to the dealer to have this revised TSB completed. Parts for mine are on order...again.

Sorry for the mis-information, but this is highly unusual for Subaru to keep the same part number for a revised part, and the lack of information to dealers in the TSB. I'm now calling the customers that had their pumps replaced with the old part to get them back in for the revised part.
Wow, great news. I wonder if this has something to do with liability and the unusual circumstances of the mistake with the original part.

I wonder if Scion/Toyota will even revise the TSB and how to go about getting the new part replacement. Maybe the scion part comes in same box, it should also have the green dot?
Demiurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #1850
DatApex

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
I was wrong, and I'll admit it.

Spoke to one of the engineers today regarding the chirping issue and can't disclose all of our discussion but he did confirm that the pump WAS revised in February. For reasons he couldn't divulge the part number has strangely remained the same. However, the revised parts will have a green dot next to the part number on the box, that is the only way you can tell the difference between the old part and the revised part.

So get your chirping cars to the dealer to have this revised TSB completed. Parts for mine are on order...again.

Sorry for the mis-information, but this is highly unusual for Subaru to keep the same part number for a revised part, and the lack of information to dealers in the TSB. I'm now calling the customers that had their pumps replaced with the old part to get them back in for the revised part.
Did they mention when revised pumps started getting shipped out? A few people have had it replaced since then and the noise came back, curious that they'd wait that long before shipping the new pumps if they've had it since Feb.

Also, it is indeed very curious the part number didn't update. Unusual for any company, not just Subaru.

Appreciate the info!
DatApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #1851
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Just left my dealership earlier after they confirmed the chirp is still present and had the revised TSB parts ordered. I had the original TSB performed in December after the first Subaru TSB released. I didn't receive an updated "green stamped" pump that time and the chirps returned as soon as the weather warmed up.

I will be confirming with the dealer that the new pump has a green stamp on the box by the part number this time. Thanks again @Opie, I hope you'll continue to be a valuable resource for us while we work through these issues with our dealerships!
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #1852
infinite012
Banned

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Green dot pump acquired. The tech at Casey Subaru said Subaru HQ (either Japan or NA) has been testing the green dot pumps before sending them out. He said if the noise comes back, bring the BRZ in again because he likes getting paid to do the same work.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #1853
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Going to check with the Scion dealer tomorrow and see if the TSB is the same and the fuel pump part indeed does have a green dot next to the part number.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #1854
Kwaziekeller

Drives: '13 Argento MT FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Just an update from my expierences. I was using a little bit of 2-cycle oil when I was running e10 gas. It would keep it from chirping and I never had any issues with it. Recently a few gas stations in my area started selling ethanol free premium, which costs me about $.20 more per gallon than the e10 crap, and with ethanol free I do not have any chirping either. Also, without changing my driving style, I've gone from averaging 30-31mpg per tank to 34-35mpg. Most of this is attributed to warmer temps IMO but I'm not complaining... 30+ for the MT is better than the EPA sticker.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #1855
TSY

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchy View Post
alright, so yesterday i had the car in at the dealer and had the chance to have a nice talk with the tech. He did say that subaru is on revision 4 of the pump, but it does have the same number but with a green dot. He isn't confident it'll actually fix the issue so he asked me if i wanted him to order and install the part. I told him no and that i'll wait for other people to get it and see if it fixes the issue.

He did mention that the pump become more audible when it gets hotter, so hotter ambient temps or hotter engine will cause the chirp to be louder. Which is pretty much what i'd been noticing over the past week with it being noisier than usual.
Huh, you and I went to two totally different dealerships! Did you go to the Ballard one or the Shorline one? My service guy said there was nothing wrong and no TSB.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #1856
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
We have 10% Ethanol 93 gas in PA and I'm at 5k with no cricket noises. I think our gas has more degtergent lubricity han out west.

Wouldn't it make since to use a gas treatment like red-line or MMO to had a small amount of lubricant to help the DI pump function with the bad gas causing the chirping?

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #1857
jonzhuxD

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
We have 10% Ethanol 93 gas in PA and I'm at 5k with no cricket noises. I think our gas has more degtergent lubricity han out west.

Wouldn't it make since to use a gas treatment like red-line or MMO to had a small amount of lubricant to help the DI pump function with the bad gas causing the chirping?

Maybe you're just lucky, I'm in PA too and I've had chirps since 410 miles. Using gas from Shell lessens it but it's still evident when the car is warm
jonzhuxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #1858
whtchocla7e

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava
All the theories are so divergent that I just take everything with a grain of salt.

The bottom line is this, if they're selling the car in the United States, the components should be able to deal with the worst possible gas that is available in the United States.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #1859
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtchocla7e View Post
All the theories are so divergent that I just take everything with a grain of salt.

The bottom line is this, if they're selling the car in the United States, the components should be able to deal with the worst possible gas that is available in the United States.
To jump on this before @Fenrir posts, The car does deal with the worst possible gas available--the chirp is just a side effect.
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #1860
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
The chirp mysteriously disappeared for about 2 months starting at about 8k miles. But it came back. So, I got the pump replaced.

Hopefully, the pump I got is the newest design pump and the noise would be gone forever. The pump was ordered at the end of February and received at the end of April. Then I had to wait 3 weeks for an appointment... I asked the service consultant to check for the green dot after the part number on the box. I had to ask him 3 times to have him write down a note regarding the green dot. I got a feeling that he just wrote it down so that I would quiet down. After the pump was replaced, I didn't ask him if it had the green dot because I figured he would tell me "yes" either way.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #1861
Rinzler

Drives: BRZ Limited
Garage
I hope the new TSB fixes it.. the chirping gets bad if I run her hard
Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #1862
slowbrz

Drives: '13 black BRZ MT
The car has been out for over a year and there still isnt a reliable fix available? Is Toyota or Subaru even taking a look at this? Sounds like an impossible fix.
slowbrz is offline   Reply With Quote