follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 05-10-2013, 02:20 AM   #1
86pro

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DMT will tune our cars

Hi everyone,
Got great news for all of us near Toronto. DMT will be available to tune our ecutek. For all of you wanting abit more power and reliability here it is. We should get a few of us to go and do some baselines.
86pro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86pro For This Useful Post:
zbt (05-10-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
Subynewbie

Drives: 2013 swp brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post
Is Ecutek still offering that throttle-blip-on-downshift option? They had it months ago but I haven't followed that 300 page thread since...
Auto blip is a available upon request, but I know Visconti has removed it from his 1.1 tune.
Subynewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subynewbie View Post
Auto blip is a available upon request, but I know Visconti has removed it from his 1.1 tune.
I stumbled upon a page in that thread where a reason for eliminating it was stated: it could be dangerous, when autoblipping on a freeway off-ramp for example. Don't really understand that, unless it's autoblipping sometimes when you are not shifting! As long as it is revmatching properly there is not going to be any more acceleration when you let the clutch out - although i guess the sudden increase in engine braking could lead to someone rear-ending you if you were braking hard already?

Too bad, love that feature on the 370Z/Cayman/new Vette.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
Subynewbie

Drives: 2013 swp brz
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post
I stumbled upon a page in that thread where a reason for eliminating it was stated: it could be dangerous, when autoblipping on a freeway off-ramp for example. Don't really understand that, unless it's autoblipping sometimes when you are not shifting! As long as it is revmatching properly there is not going to be any more acceleration when you let the clutch out - although i guess the sudden increase in engine braking could lead to someone rear-ending you if you were braking hard already?

Too bad, love that feature on the 370Z/Cayman/new Vette.
I loved the feature too and am thinking about requesting it in John's next tune. It's the one Racerom feature I enjoyed as I haven't really played around with the flat-foot shifting nor the launch control. I remember John saying it could be dangerous and I do remember it surprising me once or twice with the shot of gas it provided. Like I said, I really enjoyed otherwise.
Subynewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I'd MUCH rather leave the blipping to my right foot, glad it's not a forced option in the tune.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Canehda (04-19-2015), daiheadjai (01-28-2014), hmong337 (03-19-2015), Trac Toy (01-29-2014)
Old 05-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
thorlius
Canadian

Drives: Frieda: Firestorm/MT (11/28/2012)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I'd MUCH rather leave the blipping to my right foot, glad it's not a forced option in the tune.
I'd be scared about how it would work if I was being indecisive with my downshifts. It's not always as easy as blip, shift, blip, shift. Sometimes I'll coast a while in neutral out of 5th or 6th then rev match it and drop to 2nd or 3rd as I am about to turn a corner or merge off a ramp. Sometimes I'll change my mind about 3rd with the clutch still in, then run across to 2nd instead (with a bit more throttle blip). I'd probably confuse an autoblip function into causing some major engine trouble. If it was OEM then if there was damage it'd be warranty covered.
thorlius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #7
86pro

Autoblip is basically rev matching with out pressing gas pedal while on brakes. it only rev matches when you press brakes and you been driving hard. It great feature and shouldnt be afraid of using it. Might get you unwanted attention but good for spirited driving. Anyway guys lets keep on topic here, we now got a reputable top tuner in ontario to tune our cars. If you guys are interested or know any others who want to get ecutek go check him out. Lets get a few guys already with the ecutek to go by and test viconti vs fa20club tunes. My bets on Fa20club, especially with reliability. Lets go and do some dynos one day. It will be fun.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:39 PM   #8
ChristosG

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Hot Lava 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm interested. Lets get something going!
ChristosG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:49 AM   #9
86pro

yea lets get something popping
Old 05-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
VirUzxZ

Drives: Black on Black on Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
tune newbie here... i guess i should be interested in a tune aswell? what does something like this usualy run cost wise? and should i have all after market parts installed prior to going to a tuner?

sorry for being off topic~
VirUzxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
86pro

you can get a tune for stock. it depends because if your going to put on parts you will need a tune.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:18 PM   #12
jjkerr626

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Sport Tech
Garage
Hey all, who is this DMT that can tune ECUTek? Does he sell licences? I was probably going with Sasha at OnPoint Dyno but what is this other option? Thanks.
Performance Parts: Innovate Motorsports Supercharger, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Borla UEL Header, Perrin Cold Air Intake, Perrin Cat Back Exhaust, Perrin Crank Pulley, Perrin Rear Shifter Bushing, Perrin Transmission Bushing, Perrin Master Cylinder Brace, Billet Pro Short Shifter. Handling Parts: Perrin Control Arm Braces, Perrin PSRS Offset Steering System, Perrin 22mm Front & 22mm Rear Sway Bars, Perrin Spherical Rear Endlinks
jjkerr626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:44 PM   #13
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirUzxZ View Post
tune newbie here... i guess i should be interested in a tune aswell? what does something like this usualy run cost wise? and should i have all after market parts installed prior to going to a tuner?

sorry for being off topic~
Usually you can get a one size fits all tune, or a custom tune.

Once you have aftermarket parts on there that changes the range of the stock parameters being fed to the sensors like for mass air flow or exhaust gas temp, you would want a tuned ECU that can maximize the performance output of your setup and to keep the car running properly (for example avoiding a lean condition that can blow the engine) while at the same time keep the emission control from giving you a check engine light (for example by keeping the half a dozen emission control variables undefined by an infinite loop so they never get fully initialized).

Like for VW/Audi a tune from a reputable tuner can run from 500 bucks to over 1000 and beyond depending on the features you want and how customized you need for your requirements. Some tuners can allow you to select different presets either thru the stalk / buttons (like APR in the US) or a handheld flash box that hooks up to the OBD-II terminal (like Superchips in the UK). You should also see if you can get a diagnostic cable / program (like VAGCOM/VCDS it can mimic about 75% of the features on a VW VAS diagnostic computer at a shop) that you can run on the laptop to get readings on sensors and read codes or plot graphs for analysis.

Not sure about this car or Japanese cars in general. Quite interesting really.

Last edited by krayzie; 01-28-2014 at 10:59 PM.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:09 PM   #14
PMPB

Drives: BRZ Sport-tech
I haven't seen this thread before, but since it's been brought back from the dead, and I just read through it....

Auto-blipping could be dangerous for the same reason that down shifting at speed (off-ramp) could be dangerous (if you already heel-toe) on a ramp because the sudden engine braking at the rear could cause those tires to loose traction. However, if you are good enough to heel-toe you probably wouldn't make that mistake, but you could easily make that mistake with auto-blip...
PMPB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PMPB For This Useful Post:
Trac Toy (01-29-2014)