follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-10-2013, 01:28 AM   #29
official_george
Banned

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le86 View Post
Yeah bud, you got the basics down but installing a turbo or any FI kit is far from basic.

If you're not comfortable doing the install then DON'T DO IT. Simple as that. Take it to a reputable shop in your area or if you have some mechanically inclined friends, have them lend a hand.

Oh and DO YOUR RESEARCH before starting any major work on your vehicle. I learned this the hard way during my 1st motor swap.

Good luck.
How would you rate the difficulty of the install, 1 to 10?

Also, how exactly does "tuning" works? If for example I got my friend to install the kit successfully, do I use the EcuTek to collect sample data, send it over the to master tuners, and have them tune it for me?
official_george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:30 AM   #30
official_george
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxersixxerman View Post
No.. Not even close.. I'm a ASE tech, and this is some advice I can give you... If you have to ask, then your not ready.. Doing things like this, even if you've never done it before, should be.. Like common sense.. I can look at a part and after examining it, know what it does, where it should go and how it should function.. Being around this stuff for so long teaches you it.. It's YOUR car and YOUR engine.. If YOU was going to install any FI then the vortech would be the only kit I'd suggest you go with.. Not that the turbos are not easy to install, but you have a better chance of botching a TC kit then a sc kit.. Mess a vacuum line up on a turbo, and I've seen them go boom.. Even tho all the kits are very user friendly in my eyes.. Doesn't make them that way in a guy who has never done anything like this...

If you want your car to last, want it done right pay someone.. If you wanna take a chance, the maybe go the vortech route

Not trying to be disrespectful in any way.. Just putting it out there.. Even kits that are being installed by professional shops, are on here with blown motors.. Guy had a shop here install a kit and lasted 10 mins, and this shop knows what they are doing, have many many high HP built subies and evos and Hondas, a handful of well known race cars.. And something went wrong there

So remember, if you wanna go FI, there is a chance, how ever small it might be, but there is a chance it goes all wrong.. Gotta be ready and willing to accept that.. If not then bolt ons are the way to go

My 2 cents
Gotcha. Thanks. I've the same "builder" mindset, though, being a software programmer and an avid computer builder, but I guess it will not be the same.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:34 AM   #31
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Part of the fun is doing it yourself. Cars aren't that complex. I wouldn't create a custom kit, but the Vortech kit I believe comes with a 40-page install manual. The first time you do something, you just skin your knuckles a few hundred extra times. Oh, and be sure you have a backup car.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:36 AM   #32
Gixxersixxerman

Drives: Toyota GT86, 66 beetle, 11 GSXR 750
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by official_george View Post
Gotcha. Thanks. I've the same "builder" mindset, though, being a software programmer and an avid computer builder, but I guess it will not be the same.
Like I said its your car to do with as you please, but my best advice is to use a shop.. And better yet if you can find one that will let you at least watch.. Most will not, but some will let you stand around and watch your build.. IF and a huge IF you find a shop that does.. DO NOT under any circumstance, bug the tech.. Nothing is more annoying them working on a car with the owner over your shoulder ask a bazillions questions.. Talking and BS is one thing.. Giving advice and asking, what's that do and whatcha doing drives us crazy... At least me lol
Gixxersixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:40 AM   #33
Gixxersixxerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
the Vortech kit I believe comes with a 40-page install manual.
And yet you still see threads on people asking.. "How does this go on" "how does that go on" " I seen in the instructions that I'm suppose to do this.. Well it's not working for me"

Some of the "fun" is doing it your self.. Untill you 3 miles from home or where you did it at waiting for the flat bed to pick up your car with a freshly ruined engine
Old 05-10-2013, 01:41 AM   #34
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Care to elaborate?
The FBM guys are getting 600hp on their $6000 stage 2 kit, and that's with everything else being stock I believe (but don't quote me on that)

Other kits usually get you around 300hp at roughly $4000-$5000.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:43 AM   #35
official_george
Banned

Quote:
Like I said its your car to do with as you please, but my best advice is to use a shop.. And better yet if you can find one that will let you at least watch.. Most will not, but some will let you stand around and watch your build.. IF and a huge IF you find a shop that does.. DO NOT under any circumstance, bug the tech.. Nothing is more annoying them working on a car with the owner over your shoulder ask a bazillions questions.. Talking and BS is one thing.. Giving advice and asking, what's that do and whatcha doing drives us crazy... At least me lol
I really, really want to do this myself for the experience. I read the AVO installation manual and I haven't really seen something specific that I haven't done before. Mostly involving screwing on/off and a bit of dremeling, which I've experience with.

But that does not mean I wasn't listening to your advice. I am, and I will do a comprehensive research on what needs to be done and read and ask experts first.
The Following User Says Thank You to official_george For This Useful Post:
Gixxersixxerman (05-10-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #36
Gixxersixxerman

Quote:
I really, really want to do this myself for the experience. I read the AVO installation manual and I haven't really seen something specific that I haven't done before. Mostly involving screwing on/off and a bit of dremeling, which I've experience with.

But that does not mean I wasn't listening to your advice. I am, and I will do a comprehensive research on what needs to be done and read and ask experts first.
One thing I've learned from being apart of forums for over ten years.. When someone comes on and makes a thread but already has it in their mind what they are going to do.. Hey let them have at it.. Some, and I'm not saying you are, but some are just looking for enough people that agree with them to justify their decision.. Some want real advice.. Some want to troll.. You know which one you are.. You keep doing research, reading, asking, discussing and learning.. That's the best you can do and make your decision based on your knowledge when the time comes
The Following User Says Thank You to Gixxersixxerman For This Useful Post:
tbwoodlee (05-10-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 02:14 AM   #37
official_george
Banned

Quote:
One thing I've learned from being apart of forums for over ten years.. When someone comes on and makes a thread but already has it in their mind what they are going to do.. Hey let them have at it.. Some, and I'm not saying you are, but some are just looking for enough people that agree with them to justify their decision.. Some want real advice.. Some want to troll.. You know which one you are.. You keep doing research, reading, asking, discussing and learning.. That's the best you can do and make your decision based on your knowledge when the time comes
:happy0180:

I posted this thread with a 50/50 on whether I should do the install myself or pay a shop to do it. It's still the same as I'm writing this reply. I will do more research.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:43 AM   #38
Carlitoz3

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thumbs up

If you want to do it yourself, do it! Like someone else mentioned, that is part of the fun. It can be a life learning experience and sure you might run into some problems or get stuck doing something, but this is what this forum is for; to help each other out! I've learned a lot ever since I joined and I'm sure other members that have experience installing SC or TC can give you great advice/tips to help you along the way.
With the right research, paper/video guides, friends/ local shops advice and the help of this community, you can do it!:happy0180:
Carlitoz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:08 AM   #39
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
Just don't go for big power on your own. A SC should be a lot easier than climbing underneath and going turbo. Have another car for hardware store runs. Plan on it taking an entire open weekend. Make sure you have your ecu flashing software up and running beforehand. Get all the tools ready. Go through the instructions to make sure you understand them. Get gloves. Identify every part beforehand. Buy some beer. Call a friend over. Read some guides. Print them out. Put the laptop in your garage. Buy from a local or well-known place with good support.

Then tell us all the things that went wrong so we can learn.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:15 AM   #40
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
Quote:
And yet you still see threads on people asking.. "How does this go on" "how does that go on" " I seen in the instructions that I'm suppose to do this.. Well it's not working for me"

Some of the "fun" is doing it your self.. Untill you 3 miles from home or where you did it at waiting for the flat bed to pick up your car with a freshly ruined engine
Dunno. I've had to redo the work of pros in other fields. Even reputable shops make mistakes. Both the BMW dealer and a well-known (and frankly great) local speed shop missed the blown suspension bushing (liquid filled) on my 550i when I specifically asked for them to look at the suspension. A third shop found the problem.

And don't even get me started on the construction industry. Oh god.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:21 AM   #41
Tradewind

Drives: 2006 Subaru Liberty EZ30 S/charged
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Rotrex -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evasive Motorsports View Post
Supercharger is your best bet for reliability. HKS, Vortech, and a few other off the shelf kit. I like the Rotex supercharger then centrifugal more. We hit 300whp with our HKS on different type of gas but we feel that with a few changes we hope to hit it on pump gas.

-Randy
I think if you are clued in you will understand the Rotrex brand is a centrifugal supercharger with a proprietary friction drive transmission.

The compressor end is no more or less different to a Vortech for all intents and purposes, except that the Rotrex started out with Holset turbocharger impellers and comp covers due to the high speed friction drive.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #42
NickFRS

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
No one has gone over 15k miles.... so that being said.... who knows whats reliable.
NickFRS is offline   Reply With Quote