follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 04-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #15
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I just detailed my car this weekend using clay bar, Meguiars Show car glaze #7, followed by Meguiars paint sealant 2.0 (very slick). Then topped it with Collinite 915 carnuba. Collinite is pretty amazing stuff but is a hell of a lot of work. Car looks great.

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #16
geb2391

Drives: Subaru CBS BRZ Limited Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laika View Post
OP; is this your first time using any carnauba paste wax or were there others besides pinnacle?
I have tried several others over the years. Also the new synthetic wax's. Nothing compares to the shine and ease associated with this Pinnacle, now just need to see how long it lasts.
geb2391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:53 AM   #17
Perfections

Drives: Murano
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by russv View Post
I just detailed my car this weekend using clay bar, Meguiars Show car glaze #7, followed by Meguiars paint sealant 2.0 (very slick). Then topped it with Collinite 915 carnuba. Collinite is pretty amazing stuff but is a hell of a lot of work. Car looks great.
Russ, I'm so sorry to tell you this but that glaze you put on might of prohibited the sealant and collinite from properly bonding. Next time, clay, collinite 915, then top with glaze if you want, but shouldn't need it. 915 looks great all on its own, spread thin!
Perfections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #18
russv
First 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfections View Post
Russ, I'm so sorry to tell you this but that glaze you put on might of prohibited the sealant and collinite from properly bonding. Next time, clay, collinite 915, then top with glaze if you want, but shouldn't need it. 915 looks great all on its own, spread thin!
I have to disagree, respectfully. The glaze smoothes the paint surface and according to Meguiars is the first step after claying. It is like a polish. The sealant provides protection and a slick surface. Collinite 915 is a carnuba wax and is used as a "topper". Carnubas typically don't last very long and can actually vaporize in hot weather. Glazes and sealants last much longer and adhere to the paint. I've been using this technique for years and it works great. I've found that most carnuba s last about as long as the next wash. This is my first time using Collinite, which required a lot more work than Mothers Carnuba that I have used before, it seems to have a shine with more depth. I do expect it to last longer than Mothers. Carnuba can be used as a maintenance wax once a good sealant is put down.

Last edited by russv; 04-10-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #19
Perfections

Russ, collinite 915 will smoke any sealant you buy in a store and almost anything you can find online in the durability department.. Do more research and testing before you spread misinformation. Anything that contains fillers and oils, like the show car glaze, which btw was formulated for single stage paint which you don't have, but is clear coat safe will in fact prevent 100% bonding of a sealant. Collinite's got a decent amount of solvent so it hopefully removed the glaze. Test collinite vs your Meg's sealant and get back with everyone on which one last longer lol. If you need further carnauba info look into one of the great threads ever on live2detail.com. Search dr.oldz
Old 04-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #20
russv
First 86

I'm not spreading misinformation-carnubas don't last as long as sealants. Do your research such as:

http://www.autogeek.net/qude101.html

Or

http://www.autogeek.net/was.html

And

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

That said, there are as many more opinions as there are sealant/ wax products. If only using Collinite works for you then I'm happy for you. It's my preference to use both. Collinite does give an exceptional shine, as do other carnubas I have used (Mothers' paste carnuba). I bought Collinite because, in my extensive research, it is one of the best carnubas. How long it lasts remains to be seen, but since I typically apply a carnuba once a month, I may not find out. I do anticipate that it will last longer than other carnubas. And yes, I'm OCD about my cars.

Last edited by russv; 04-11-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:54 PM   #21
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The slick and shine of carnuba is up there, but the protection and longevity are its pitfalls.

Great looking results btw
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #22
Perfections

Russ, here is the problem, you are comparing 915 to a typical carnauba based wax... Research 915 not carnauba in general. I'll spam this thread with links to back my "opinions" up if you'd like, by the most respected detailers in the world. To say 915 is just a typical carnauba that will last a month lets me know right off the bat you 1. Have not tested it for yourself 2. Have not research the durability of 915....
Old 04-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #23
russv
First 86

[quote=Perfections;857771]Russ, here is the problem, you are comparing 915 to a typical carnauba based wax... Research 915 not carnauba in general. I'll spam this thread with links to back my "opinions" up if you'd like, by the most respected detailers in the world. To say 915 is just a typical carnauba that will last a month lets me know right off the bat you 1. Have not tested it for yourself 2. Have not research the durability

I bought Collinite specifically because the research I did stated that it was more durable. I DID NOT state it was a typical carnuba, but that other carnubas I have used did not last long. I am now in the process of testing Collinite, as i stated previously. If you can provide OBJECTIVE data on Collinite then I would be most interested in seeing it. I have not yet been able find any hard and objective data. Your comment about putting a sealant over Collinite raised a bit of a red flag as what would the sealant bond to? (Not criticizing, just curious)? I don't think that we disagree on the value of Collinite, but rather the sequence of layers of glaze, sealant, wax. The links I provided merely show you the procedure I choose to follow. Your procedure and philosophy is different. We agree to disagree, so lets leave it at that and move on.

Last edited by russv; 04-11-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #24
Perfections

Where did I say apply collinite then put a sealant on top of that? Please show me... I said you can put the show car glaze on top of the collinite but doubt it would add anything, looks wise. The website I told you about live2detail.com has one of the best carnauba threads I've seen in my 17 years of detailing. Search dr.oldz and you will see it.

As a professional I'm here to help, and don't like to read information that's not correct. A lot of people see threads and just follow what they see, not knowing any better. Which lead me to comment about the misinformation you provided in your process. Please post on any detailing website, ag included on the correct steps to take while applying a wax or sealant that would lead to proper bonding of that product. If you have someone that's knows what they are talking about, they won't say, put down a glaze then sealant on top of that.. Call someone that installs coatings for a living and say, I'd like for you to apply a glaze then put opti coat or another coating on top of that. Let everyone know what they say to you. I'm not here to argue, but provide facts for the do it yourself'r.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #25
russv
First 86

My mistake, you said to put glaze over Collinite. If you look at Phil's response on the Detailer's Domain vendor section (post #104) to my question regarding my clay bar-glaze-wax question he said it was good. I would imagine he knows what he is talking about and is not misinformation to my thinking. If you have an issue with misinformation, take it up with him. Like I said, we have no disagreement about the value of Collinite over other carnubas but it seems our layer technique choice is at odds. My preference is to use a carnuba as a last step, and in 5 years of using it on multiple cars and colors the results have been excellent.I have found the technique I use to be common among many detailers which I provided in one of my previous posts. If you can provide me with a better technique I would be interested to see it as i am always open to new ideas. As I'm sure you are aware there is no "right" way to detail but rather many ways, and I think the method that works for any individual is what they should use. Some are happy with spray wax and others spend hundreds of dollars on multiple detailing products. I don't doubt your expertise and I will consider any suggestions, but I will also look at others as well.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #26
Perfections

Phil is very knowledgeable and well respected in the detailing community. If he says it'll be fine, I'm assuming he means it won't mess the car up. But as far as being the proper way to apply a wax/sealant/coating for the best bonding possible which leads to the longest durability of a product your applying a glaze filled with a ton of oils first would not net you the best results. Please feel free to call him, and see if this way of application is correct.

Wash, clay, polish if you'd desire, remove oils with ipa mixture or eraser, apply wax/sealant or coating next. If you want to layer a product, put the product that'll give the best durability down first. Which is typically a sealant or coating. Then apply wax, but in the case of collinite 915 it'll beat most sealants in durability so you could just apply that.

Btw I commend you on doing all those steps on your car, I just want you to get the best possible outcome from a product. If I can save you money and time, I feel like I've contributed to the goals I strive for with helping people on the forums.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #27
Vicious LED
Banned

Drives: Scion FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I personally use KillerWaxx, I was using their product for a while and loved it, and eventually they decided to sponsor my FR-S

Check them out, their pricing is pretty reasonable too.

http://killerwaxx.com/page9.php
Vicious LED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #28
5th 86

Drives: 2013 BRZ SPORT TECH
Try swissvax shield for an awesome carnuba that last long and is easy to maintain as dirt is easily hosed off only down side is cost but for ease of use, the smell, how amazing the paint looks its well worth it. Personally think its the best wax for a DD.
5th 86 is offline   Reply With Quote