follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #127
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzaboynt View Post
Years ago I was married, had an RX8, and two dogs. Then we had a daughter. Toddler seat fit in the rear seats very well, but when we all had do go out, someone had to be left behind. Wife was never happy about being left behind so she divorced me and took the dogs and daughter with her.

Now I have an 86 all to myself. Very similar to the RX8 except no dogs licking the windows, barfing in the footwells, and shedding hair all over the place, and the sat nav is actually gets me to my destination instead of whinging about taking the long way or the wrong way or my apparent failings as a husband.

Much more pleasant car to drive this Toyota 86.
you did well for yourself pilgrim! it's a lot easier to drive the car than the wife.
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #128
jmaryt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzaboynt View Post
Years ago I was married, had an RX8, and two dogs. Then we had a daughter. Toddler seat fit in the rear seats very well, but when we all had do go out, someone had to be left behind. Wife was never happy about being left behind so she divorced me and took the dogs and daughter with her.

Now I have an 86 all to myself. Very similar to the RX8 except no dogs licking the windows, barfing in the footwells, and shedding hair all over the place, and the sat nav is actually gets me to my destination instead of whinging about taking the long way or the wrong way or my apparent failings as a husband.

Much more pleasant car to drive this Toyota 86.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A5D5TRYR View Post
It's kind of refreshing to hear someone else with this opinion. I'm 28 but I've known for years that I don't ever want to have kids and it's annoying that so many people act like it's sacrilege to plan on never having kids. As for marriage, I'm indifferent at this point. I have a serious girlfriend but I'm in no rush to get married. I know what you mean though. All my friends are settling down and getting married. I'm going to 5 weddings this year.
why get married! you have what you want,(car,girlfriend) let the other 5 get married.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #129
jmaryt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by #87 View Post
Is it normal for guys to plan on getting married?

It seems like we are brainwashed into go to school -> get a job -> get married -> have a kid(s)

I always felt like this is not the only path in life but it so sad I see all my male friends planning for it like its inevitable. I'm 25 and they are like oo I have to settle down find a wife etc before they are 30.

It is so frustrating for me to see other guys feel they have to do this. I
m not saying it is a bad choice but come on. Then dont get me started on how I see girls who know they (guys in general) feel this way and take advantage of it/them...
biological clock is ticking,that's WHY chicks want to be married before 30.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #130
Skyhound

Drives: Jaguar X-Type
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Schnell View Post
I am surprised at the number of people that would avoid marriage just to drive some car. I enjoy the companionship of having a wife and the joy of having my son. No material thing is going to change that.
I agree, this kind of attitude is what I believe to be the leading cause of the high divorce rate in the US. It's sad to see material possessions get in the way of the true happiness of love. Oh well, I'm sure they're all happy with their foreveralone.png lifestyle.

For the OP, getting a family sedan and having the twins for fun is the best route to go. If you don't have the means for that, then I would suggest just getting the sedan or maybe a sporty sedan like an Evo or WRX. Trust me, waiting on the FR-S will ultimately play in your favor. By the time you're ready to get your own, not only will that year's new FR-S/BRZ have better options and possible more performance; but you can always just get a used one for less than you would be spending now. Remember, patience is a virtue.
Skyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #131
MY13FRS
***** Super Senior Member

Drives: 13 FRS
If you have to get a family move, get a Mazda5 sport. They come in a manual and a hoot to drive. Room for 6, cheaper than a true minivan, has duel sliding doors, drive like a sedan.
MY13FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #132
BryanGT

Drives: WRD BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnperolis View Post
The Honda Odyssey is ridiculously nice. I absolutely loathe SUVs, they are the most useless vehicles on the road. The same number of seats as a sedan, with the giant, terribleness of a truck. Also the big douche factor of driving a huge SUV is too much for me. If you are going to have kids, I don't see why a mini-van is a bad idea. I'll be driving my FR-S as a daily, and whenever we need to take the family somewhere, we can all pile into the van.
My diesel X5 is really nice. Fits more shit in it than a Sedan, has AWD and ground clearance for snow days, get 25mpg combined average, and handles really well (not a truck chassis).
BryanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #133
stilletto

Drives: 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Plan on daily driving an FR-S/BRZ for the first year, then buy an 08+ xB for necessities. Wedding cash should help pay for most of it. Tee Hee Hee!
stilletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #134
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Bought Miata in 1990. Acquired newborn in 1994. Sold Miata in 2001. Can't recall having any issues with car, daughter or wife during the 7 year overlap.

Wife Unit had a Mazda 323 if we wanted to go someplace in one car. Can't see where the scene would play out any different if I was to be in the same situation with the FRS.

If you were to plot the growth of the baby-seat Nazis from where I grew up with no seat-belts and free roaming in a station wagon to where we are now, you will note that in the very near future kids will not be allowed out of the womb if they are going to travel in a motor vehicle. Oh wait, that includes pedal vehicles.

Land of the free...
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:00 AM   #135
The Comedian

Drives: 2004 Nissan Spec V
As a family man myself, I am up in the air about purchasing a WRX or FRS. I'm 5'6, wife is 5'1 and we have a 7 year old daughter. I took my daughter (wife was not available at the time) to the dealership to test out her sitting behind me and so far it worked out great. Since Im short, I actually have to move the driver's seat forward to reach the wheel comfortably so my daughter has enough room behind me. If my wife moves up in the passenger, my daughter should THEORETICALLY have more room. Never thought being short would benefit me!!

My wife has a Focus so I would trade up my beaten up Nissan Spec V for the FRS as a daily driver. But the NEW WRX comes out in about a year or less so I may just hold off a bit longer to compare then. I test drove a current WRX and a FRS in that order and still am pleased with the FRS performance, although a bit slower. Also, when my daughter starts driving in a few years, I figured she wouldn't mind having the FRS as her first car as I by then would look into a new sports car.
The Comedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:23 AM   #136
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
If the kids can climb and buckle themselves, they can sit in the back Indian style if need be. Babies in coupes are a pain in the ass, though.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #137
7m-GTE

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited M/T
-Have 3 kids....The 4th on the way.....
-Just bought my BRZ last week...
-Wife drives a Sienna
-We make it work because the BRZ is my DD and I do not have to shuttle the kids except in rare instances, and in those cases forward facing seats work fine. If you have to regularly shuttle the kids around, it can get annoying fast. You have to decide if it is worth it or not.
7m-GTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:04 AM   #138
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I shuttle the kids... in my FRS.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:24 AM   #139
dflood75

Drives: FR-S Asphalt & FJ-Cruiser Voodoo
Garage
Thanks the gods I'm gay! FTW
dflood75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:01 AM   #140
polarstorm

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7m-GTE View Post
-Have 3 kids....The 4th on the way.....
-Just bought my BRZ last week...
-Wife drives a Sienna
-We make it work because the BRZ is my DD and I do not have to shuttle the kids except in rare instances, and in those cases forward facing seats work fine. If you have to regularly shuttle the kids around, it can get annoying fast. You have to decide if it is worth it or not.
Same almost identical situation except that I got an FR-S. You've probably already come to the conclusion as I have that the FR-S/BRZ is no family car. Don't know about you but my Sienna is always full of crud from the kids, crayons, toys, even left over food containers and spilled milk, drink stains, so the FR-S is the last place for kids, I use it to shuttle the kids from school or as needed and it works fine for that. To others thinking of making your baby the family car, forget the idea, it will cause issues.. you need to get the minivan (or whatever she wants) first to keep your sports car sanctuary intact when you sit in it each day. I've run my Civic Si to the ground for the last 14 years (305,000km) and only now I've been able to finally get this car.. the irony is the kids love the FR-S! I let them play in it after they take off their shoes once in the car.
polarstorm is offline   Reply With Quote