follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 02-17-2013, 06:09 AM   #1
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,455 Times in 4,157 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tyre Thoughts

The 2 sets of wheels turned up (thanks Josh). The original 215s went on one set and onto the car a week ago. The other set was shod with Yoko AD08 225s yesterday. I've done a bit over 300 kms on them and I think I'm going to put the original tyres back on.
The "shitty" Prius tyres are more than enough on public roads. Even with all the aids left on the car still allows a bit of slip at the rear when exiting a corner/bend at lowish speeds. Slip equals fun.
As for the AD08s? OMG!! I haven't experimented all that much but according to Mr Android I have pulled 0.63 under brakes and I haven't got the braking sorted yet. Around roundabouts I am asking for trouble with the speed at which the car can corner.
Maybe the engineers/marketing people were right when they said ordinary tyres are more fun.

(Please note: the view and opinions expressed here are not necessarily those held by the President of Cuba)
Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:14 AM   #2
JDMSushi

Drives: JDM86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
How many km's have you done? They start to get a bit shitty once you get closer to 10,000...
JDMSushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:01 AM   #3
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Only 735 kms.
I wasn't reviewing the AD08s in particular, just the fun factor of the original tyres.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
JDMSushi

Drives: JDM86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Haha, just don't push it too hard with TCS off... we've had a few people already write off a few cars.
JDMSushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Yeah, on public roads* I leave all the electronics on. I really like the fact that there is a little bit of slip allowed.

(* 12 more days to first track outing!)
Old 02-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer

Drives: #SLOBRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I am pretty happy with the stock 17's, i like the amount of slip they have, and for someone to write their car off, to me that sounds like a lack of experience..
Old 02-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
Paragon

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Yeah, on public roads* I leave all the electronics on. I really like the fact that there is a little bit of slip allowed.

(* 12 more days to first track outing!)
Have you got your brakes on yet?
Old 02-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Yeah they're on the car (they look awesome) but there is a bit of a set back legal wise. Besides DOT approval the Spiegler brake lines meet no other international standard .This means I have to get new stainless lines made up locally to meet ADRs.

I took the car out Uriarra way to bed in the DS2500 pads. After the initial 10 or so runs I started leaning on the brakes. According to Mr Trackmaster I was pulling a bit over 1 g under brakes at times (not for very long). The interesting thing is the temperature strips haven't even registered at their lowest temperature yet (140C). Yeah, I know, public road , nothing over 110km/h, I'm not trying hard enough.
Attached Images

Last edited by Captain Snooze; 02-21-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
Paragon

Quote:
Yeah they're on the car (they look awesome) but there is a bit of a set back legal wise. Besides DOT approval the Spiegler brake lines meet no other international standard .This means I have to get new stainless lines made up locally to meet ADRs.

I took the car out Uriarra way to bed in the DS2500 pads. After the initial 10 or so runs I started leaning on the brakes. According to Mr Trackmaster I was pulling a bit over 1 g under brakes at times (not for very long). The interesting thing is the temperature strips haven't even registered at their lowest temperature yet (140C). Yeah, I know, public road , nothing over 110km/h, I'm not trying hard enough.
they look the goods mate, i keep swaying between being a tightass and going wilwoods or just going the ap kit... are the ap brakes noisy?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #10
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

I have DS2500 pads fitted front and rear. The fronts squeal at low speed.This doesn't bother me as I don't drive around town all that much.The backing shims are installed. I am guessing different pads might sort that out. Btw, I had DS2500 pads fitted to the front of my previous car and there was never a hint of noise from them.

If you were interested in getting the Essex kit I am thinking it might worth while giving Competition Friction a call as they might have ADR compliant lines as part of the kit.

Hopefully I get the new lines Monday and fitted Tuesday.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #11
86drift

Drives: Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Looking good :-)

I have had people try and tell me that DOT approved OS brake lines are street legal and don't want to believe it when I tell them they are (probably) not.

Quote:

86drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:04 PM   #12
t0dd

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I have DS2500 pads fitted front and rear. The fronts squeal at low speed.This doesn't bother me as I don't drive around town all that much.The backing shims are installed. I am guessing different pads might sort that out. Btw, I had DS2500 pads fitted to the front of my previous car and there was never a hint of noise from them.

If you were interested in getting the Essex kit I am thinking it might worth while giving Competition Friction a call as they might have ADR compliant lines as part of the kit.

Hopefully I get the new lines Monday and fitted Tuesday.
Do Competition Friction sell the Essex kit locally? I'm looking to buy the sprint kit, was going to bring it back in hand luggage from the US in June coming back from holiday but if i can sort locally with correct brake lines might be easier!
t0dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:05 PM   #13
Paragon

from what I can see a brake line is a very very simple device, what could possibly be different on a ADR and non ADR approved line?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #14
Paragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0dd View Post
Do Competition Friction sell the Essex kit locally? I'm looking to buy the sprint kit, was going to bring it back in hand luggage from the US in June coming back from holiday but if i can sort locally with correct brake lines might be easier!
Yep Competition friction here in Canberra or Vsport in NSW (same parent company?) both do it for $2750 inc GST