follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #71
chuy21

Drives: 2009 Cobalt SS 373 FWHP 431 Lb-Ft
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtchocla7e View Post
Only $1300? Poor dealers..
Most dealers make little to no money on cars. Sell a car for $1300 profit, pay your sales man 30%(Thats what I was getting) now pay the sales manager (usually 12% of every car sold.) Insurance for having the car on the lot.
Now pay the hourly wage of the porters and office staff. Don't forget the finance people!!

A dealership would go broke if it only sold cars. Thats why a good service shop is key for survival.
chuy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #72
RedMuck

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Yes, I still walk with a limp from a car deal back in 1996, I fell asleep in finance!
RedMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #73
blackraven1425

Drives: raven at
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post

I had to fight for nearly 4 months to buy this car without dealer installed nav, rear bumper applique, paint protection, leather seats, lugnuts, Bespoke etc. etc. etc.

I ordered a car (put down money and had an agreement) with "no options", get a call a month later "It's here!", "Ok how much?" "...$26.5k, but it has Bespoke!"

An entire month wasted trusting a dealer, never again.

Glad it worked out for you but "Pure Pricing" can work against the consumer as well.
You should have told them to swap out the head unit since you wanted the non-Bespoke unit. They don't install it at the factory, it's installed by the dealer once the car arrives.
blackraven1425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #74
boead

Drives: FR-S
Garage
I bought from an Actual Scion Dealership that was part of a larger Toyota dealership string. Giant row of buildings and cars, new and used. The Scion building was new and beautiful, separate from the rest. They have their own shop and techs who were very slow in comparison to the Toyota building next door but that's the way I like it! They had several cars on the lot. I went to a few different dealers that sold the car, most are just Toyota dealerships. Im VSERY fussy about car dealerships. I walk out of most. Id rather pay more for the experience and service. I sat and drank wine and listened to music and talked about art when I bought my Acura. Had a great time, got a VERY fair price without asking for one. Mercedes is even better!

Im VERY concerned about owning a first model year car!!!!
I know im gonna have some issues and im expecting great service. If not I'll think twice next time; maybe buy another Acura or a BMW. But if they back this car up, especially with this 40-something year old dude, then i'll likely buy a 2016 or 17 Turbo Convertible.
Otherwise... see ya later Scion.
Oh and F-Subaru. Every Subaru dealership I went into required an hours long hot shower to wash the slim away. Same for most Nissan dealerships ive been in!
boead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #75
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,484 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven1425 View Post
You should have told them to swap out the head unit since you wanted the non-Bespoke unit. They don't install it at the factory, it's installed by the dealer once the car arrives.
It's actually installed "at the port" after it leaves possession of the manufacturer and before the dealer "takes possession". This is a very efficient bit of gymnastics so they can use "Pure Price" to their advantage; "oh that's what the car came with from the factory" "We can't budge on price, we have to add these options, it's out of our control" I have some of these gems in email. They would have "ordered" me another car and just sold the one I turned down (it had more than Bespoke, paint protection would have been a sticking point) rather than do any work.

Entirely the dealers fault, I took my business to another dealer (I'd rather give them no money at all), doubt I'll ever buy a "new" Toyota product again. Capitalism ftw.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #76
shawnperolis

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S MT "Panda"
Quote:
It's actually installed "at the port" after it leaves possession of the manufacturer and before the dealer "takes possession". This is a very efficient bit of gymnastics so they can use "Pure Price" to their advantage; "oh that's what the car came with from the factory" "We can't budge on price, we have to add these options, it's out of our control" I have some of these gems in email. They would have "ordered" me another car and just sold the one I turned down (it had more than Bespoke, paint protection would have been a sticking point) rather than do any work.

Entirely the dealers fault, I took my business to another dealer (I'd rather give them no money at all), doubt I'll ever buy a "new" Toyota product again. Capitalism ftw.
Not true. I test drove one at the dealer without any head unit installed. Scion dealers are supposed to not install anything until you buy the car, then they put it all on the vehicle. The two FR-Ss that my dealer had both had zero options on them. I had to wait for my head unit to get installed on the one I ordered in.
shawnperolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #77
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnperolis View Post
Not true. I test drove one at the dealer without any head unit installed. Scion dealers are supposed to not install anything until you buy the car, then they put it all on the vehicle. The two FR-Ss that my dealer had both had zero options on them. I had to wait for my head unit to get installed on the one I ordered in.
That's actually super cool, could you have bought it without a head unit and saved money? Did they just uninstall the stock unit and were waiting for Bespoke? I'd be surprised if they ship across the ocean without any stereo or seats or rearview mirror or any other things that could be "upgraded".

It seems like Scion is run very differently region to region... The "port installed" story is pretty much official policy from every dealer I've talked to on the West coast.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #78
shawnperolis

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S MT "Panda"
Quote:
That's actually super cool, could you have bought it without a head unit and saved money? Did they just uninstall the stock unit and were waiting for Bespoke? I'd be surprised if they ship across the ocean without any stereo or seats or rearview mirror or any other things that could be "upgraded".

It seems like Scion is run very differently region to region... The "port installed" story is pretty much official policy from every dealer I've talked to on the West coast.
That's pretty lame, sorry you had a crappy experience.

All of them had no head unit, but you can't buy one with no head unit... The MSRP price includes the basic audio package, so if you opt out of the nice touchscreen one they just install the base head unit.
shawnperolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #79
Splat

Drives: FR-S ultramarine
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarkness View Post
Thanks for the link been trying to nail down employee pricing (friend works for Toyota so I'm hoping to get Friends / Family employee discount).
They don't get much discount on car. They get zero financing or something similiar. Sure employees get other good discounts on parts and such, but not the actual car. My inlaw works toyota plant. He has bought XB and TC there.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #80
blackraven1425

Quote:

Not true on the "at the port", if anything I heard at the dealership was right. I actually had the guy who deals with receiving new cars talk to me, since I was there 2 days before it arrived from the port, and he mentioned they install the trunk mat at the port. When I went to pick up plates, I mentioned the issue with the head units being programmed to tC instead of FR-S to the sales manager, and he mentioned specifically that they install the head unit at the dealership and he'd talk to their mechanics about getting that right.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #81
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Not true on the "at the port", if anything I heard at the dealership was right. I actually had the guy who deals with receiving new cars talk to me, since I was there 2 days before it arrived from the port, and he mentioned they install the trunk mat at the port. When I went to pick up plates, I mentioned the issue with the head units being programmed to tC instead of FR-S to the sales manager, and he mentioned specifically that they install the head unit at the dealership and he'd talk to their mechanics about getting that right.
Huh so Scion is even more inconsistent than I could have possibly imagined! I appreciate the stories, further confirms my decision to not buy another Toyota if I can help it.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #82
blackraven1425

Quote:
Huh so Scion is even more inconsistent than I could have possibly imagined! I appreciate the stories, further confirms my decision to not buy another Toyota if I can help it.
Well, I'd probably put this one on the dealer instead of on Toyota as a whole. Far more likely than totally inconsistent practices, they probably just wanted the upsell from BeSpoke, and used the port installation as a convenient excuse to try and convince you to take it.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #83
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Well, I'd probably put this one on the dealer instead of on Toyota as a whole. Far more likely than totally inconsistent practices, they probably just wanted the upsell from BeSpoke, and used the port installation as a convenient excuse to try and convince you to take it.
I believe I dealt with ~6 dealers, was not happy with any of them (except the one out of state I almost flew to), confirming the inconsistent stories across the nation does not lead me to want to do business with the organization as a whole.

To each their own, thank god the car rocks.

Edit: Sorry for the thread hijacking
Old 02-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #84
mkiisupra

Drives: 83 Toyota Supra, 16 FR-S RS2.0
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quote:

For grins and giggles, I asked many CA dealers up and down the state about the VSA protection (warranty extension) and pricing and got very funny answers that were obviously pulled from their hindquarters.

"Oh, yeah, that price on the website isn't for CA."
"That's the pricing for Southern/Northern CA" -said from opposite part of CA

Bottom line, the dealerships aren't the manufacturer, plain and simple. In US, iirc, its illegal for manufacturers to sell their own cars, and must bring in franchises to move vehicles.

In this case, we should be lucky to find a salesperson that understands the car, rather than understanding the profit margin.

Eric G
mkiisupra is offline   Reply With Quote