follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Frsexxxy

Drives: White Virgin frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Does anybody know exactly what filter the injen Sri uses? I want to get a new filter

Dry preferably. I want to swap it out every 6 months. And did anybody else see the increase in price on the srt frs exhaust? The prices went up on that. Good thing I got ordered mine while it was still cheap. I was having trouble choosing between that and injen exhaust.
Frsexxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
It uses an Ea-nano dry filter(Dont know how many inch). But why wont you just buy a cleaning kit for it instead?
Old 02-15-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
Sony

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ MT Limited
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
^^^ +1

Why would you buy a new one when the filter can be cleaned and reused....seems like a waste of money to me.
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sony For This Useful Post:
31katys (02-16-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 01:59 AM   #4
Frsexxxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMaster View Post
It uses an Ea-nano dry filter(Dont know how many inch). But why wont you just buy a cleaning kit for it instead?
Because you can't really trust those cleaning kits. It messed up my tundra one time. Because supposedly it didn't dry properly!? Had it drying for 3 days. The car just completely died within a couple weeks. Brand new maybe only 1k miles on it! . I guess I could buy just one and have the old one left drying for a whopping 6 months until I swap it out again and do the same to the new one.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:37 AM   #5
LeeMaster
Red wine

Explain the method you used for drying, because I have cleaned a few intakes/drop in filters and all my cars are still running fine. Which brand/filter were you using on your Tundra?

Last edited by LeeMaster; 02-15-2013 at 02:57 AM.
LeeMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
Frsexxxy

Quote:
Explain the method you used for drying, because I have cleaned a few intakes/drop in filters and all my cars are still running fine. Which brand/filter were you using on your Tundra?
I was using a K&n intake and K&n cleanser. I swear buddy. My car just shut down in the middle of the road, in the dark. Not a single light could turn on, and it was all black! I left it in my garage for 3 days with the bottom end opening facing upwards.

Made me want to barf
Old 02-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
NicoSuave84
Executive Dips of Memphis

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S - 2 tone Asphalt/WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yes, it is a dry filter. I don't know what kind of cleaning kit you would use on it. I'm pretty sure that's only for oiled filters like K&N. You just blow air out from the inside of the filter or vacuum it from the outside with a brush attachment.
NicoSuave84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #8
NicoSuave84
Executive Dips of Memphis

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S - 2 tone Asphalt/WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frsexxxy View Post
Dry preferably. I want to swap it out every 6 months.
The model of the filter is x-1021.
NicoSuave84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
LeeMaster
Red wine

Quote:
I was using a K&n intake and K&n cleanser. I swear buddy. My car just shut down in the middle of the road, in the dark. Not a single light could turn on, and it was all black! I left it in my garage for 3 days with the bottom end opening facing upwards.

Made me want to barf
So did you leave it in the garage for 3 days without turning it around? You should be turning it around and letting the water work its way through the middle back down. If you dont, there is a chance that water was still on the filter. Which brings me to the next question, how much oil did you spray?
Old 02-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
Sony

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ MT Limited
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:

Made me want to barf
If all the lights in your car wouldn't turn on...that doesn't sound like an air filter problem to me. Sounds electrical...you sure it was the filter that caused it? Just wondering because those symptoms do not sound like an air filter/clogged MAF problem.
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sony For This Useful Post:
31katys (02-16-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
Frsexxxy

Quote:
So did you leave it in the garage for 3 days without turning it around? You should be turning it around and letting the water work its way through the middle back down. If you dont, there is a chance that water was still on the filter. Which brings me to the next question, how much oil did you spray?
It was a few. Shut off right after installing it
Old 02-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #12
Frsexxxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony View Post
If all the lights in your car wouldn't turn on...that doesn't sound like an air filter problem to me. Sounds electrical...you sure it was the filter that caused it? Just wondering because those symptoms do not sound like an air filter/clogged MAF problem.
We took it off ASAP and took it back to the dealer so it wouldn't void warrenty. They didn't knew what it was but it happened after I installed it, and my detector, and my led lights. Maybe it confused the ecu with all those changes at once so your probally right... Who knows.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #13
Frsexxxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoSuave84 View Post
The model of the filter is x-1021.
Thanks a lot!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #14
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:

Made me want to barf
You over oiled your filter. It will never dry if this happens, and the extra oil will coat the hot wire on your MAF sensor, and it will give false readings. You really want to get the aerosol K&N kit and spray on the lightest coating you can. The filter should be white from proper cleaning prior to spraying it with oil so you can easily tell when you have coated it enough.

Tags
injen, injen filter, injen intake, srt