follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #15
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue FR-S View Post
I was moreso looking for a general rule of thumb (and/or legal rule if it exists) of "how much car" someone can afford given a specific level of income.
I used to go by the "Car shouldn't cost more than 50% of my annual income". That was when I made 40-50k a year. Now I don't want to buy anything that's more than 25% of my annual income. Different priorities now, even though I still dump way too much money into car related activities, just not my car payment so much. I also have a personal rule on my maximum car payment, which is $400 a month. No matter if I buy a Ford Fiesta or a GT3RS 4.0, the downpayment will have to allow for no more than a $400/month payment or I'm not going to do it.

The bank is going to look at your DTI, employment history, income, living expenses (rent/mortgage/etc) to determine the risk. They don't have a "rule" that I'm aware of besides making sure the loan makes sense (ie low chance of you defaulting on it, interest rate increasing with that risk).
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #16
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,639 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
There are two main measurements of wealth; assets such as cash, real estate, cars, businesses etc, and the second type of wealth is future income. In oither words, your expected monthly salary at present.

Unless you have the assets which you can liquidate to pay cash, or the income that you can afford to comfortably pay monthly, then don't bother. Further if you are young and have yet to build significant assets, buying an expensive car which is usually a rapidly depreciating item, will likely delay you from aquiring significant assets for some time.

As an example, I am married, own a home etc. The FR-S is my toy summer car and a bad investment. However, I was able to liquidate assets to pay for more than half the vehicle up front. Also, since I now own 2 relatively new vehicles, I promised myself I will keep them both at least 8 years since I usually change vehicles ~ every 4 years. This way, aside from maintenance and insurance, I will have spent not much more than I normally do on my vehicles.

That's why you *usually* see a lot of older people driving the really expensive cars.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #17
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,997 Times in 11,400 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
I used to go by the "Car shouldn't cost more than 50% of my annual income". That was when I made 40-50k a year. Now I don't want to buy anything that's more than 25% of my annual income. ...
The version I use of this is that all vehicles (cars, motorcycles, atv's boats, airplanes, x-wing fighters) do not add up to more than 50% of our family income.

The good news is each year everything depreciates so that adds wiggle room.

You wouldn't believe how much a x-wing depreciates the first time you fly it off the star cruiser.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Ninjin (02-06-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #18
ap5512

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Everyone has great responses. I think it's really a personal decision as everyone will have different priorities. The BRZ is the most expensive car I've ever bought and I almost sweated bullets paying $28k for it. Now, I would say my wife and I definitely make more than your average household but our priorities are tied up in buying a bigger house and of course just general savings and paying off other debt. We can easily afford a higher end car but doesn't mean we should. I've got friends who buy expensive cars and have big houses...BUT they aren't saving shyt. They don't have any kids but I wonder what they will do once the expense of kids plays a huge factor.

I see no problem in enjoying a new job money (I certainly did with a used S2000) but always keep in mind your near/long term goals. I like the 50% rule @dave_ROR mentioned.
ap5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #19
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
LOL!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
How well do you want to live?

Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #20
e30kawi

Drives: CWP limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

But to me, seeing my income increase 4-7 fold (purposely vague) means that I'll have a lot of excess sitting around, and assuming I make solid contributions to retirement accounts, I could still have a nice chunk left over.
You might be surprised at how quickly you can spend your increased income. The little stuff adds up quick. I remember being like you in college and thinking "wow, I can't imagine making $xx,xxx.00 a year and not having tons of cash laying around."

Like others have said, focus on buying a house and some land before you even consider buying a car anywhere near half of your annual income.
e30kawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:57 AM   #21
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
How well do you want to live?

There's an alternative to this funny caption.

This could be the Viper owner visiting her son and grandchildren at the place they rent. For the first time in American history, parents (Boomers) report that they don't believe their children will do as well as they (the parents) have done. This reflects a trend that is probably irreversible.

The youngsters such as Purdue FR-S and his generation may be looking at hard times into the indefinite future. Purdue looks to have an unusually good start, and more power to him, but he may wish to ponder the significance of the realities of modern America. The opportunities that his parents enjoyed are fast disappearing in our country.

Purdue would also do well to consider that the kind of job security his parents enjoyed is also fading fast.

You don't see what's so scary?

You're about to find out.

I wish you luck.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #22
Purdue FR-S
Boiler Up!

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post

The youngsters such as Purdue FR-S and his generation may be looking at hard times into the indefinite future. Purdue looks to have an unusually good start, and more power to him, but he may wish to ponder the significance of the realities of modern America. The opportunities that his parents enjoyed are fast disappearing in our country.

Purdue would also do well to consider that the kind of job security his parents enjoyed is also fading fast.

You don't see what's so scary?

You're about to find out.

I wish you luck.

Lol be careful about the number of assumptions you make here. While indeed there was a time when manufacturing jobs were easy to come by, my dad has been laid off multiple times and had to find new work on more than one occasion. I'm not sure what job security you're talking about.

And to be honest ... I'll admit a lot of my generation needs to get their shyt together; but I'm also pretty convinced that you'll reap the seeds you sow. (In terms of how much time/effort you spend in your youth preparing for entering the job market)

Good conversations guys! Balancing what you want/need is something everyone has to suffer through I'm afraid. I'm also afraid of learning how quickly my extra income will disappear!
Purdue FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #23
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
Good conversations guys! Balancing what you want/need is something everyone has to suffer through I'm afraid. I'm also afraid of learning how quickly my extra income will disappear!
It's a strange thing but it happens. When I made 20K a year I thought "man if I could make an extra 10K I could do all these other things" then at 30k it was "How'd I live with just 20k? geez I need another 10k/yr to do those things" and the cycle repeats over and over. Besides wasting money racing I don't have too vastly different spending habits now than I did when I made half the money, and yet, I still don't feel like I have plenty of extra cash to do whatever I want.

Well I guess investing and 401k has taken up a fair enough chuck of that money too.
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Old 02-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #24
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quote:
It's a strange thing but it happens. When I made 20K a year I thought "man if I could make an extra 10K I could do all these other things" then at 30k it was "How'd I live with just 20k? geez I need another 10k/yr to do those things" and the cycle repeats over and over. Besides wasting money racing I don't have too vastly different spending habits now than I did when I made half the money, and yet, I still don't feel like I have plenty of extra cash to do whatever I want.

Well I guess investing and 401k has taken up a fair enough chuck of that money too.
That's typical. When my parents came here they made minimum wage; now they're pretty set as they spend within their means yet there's always the "if we had $xxxxx more money..." which to me makes money like a drug. You build up tolerance and need more and more of it to get the same effect it used to give you. Eventually you can OD and die (bankruptcy).
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #25
paros28

Drives: 2007 Toy Corolla, 2012 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
"Beggars make rags
Rags make paper
Paper makes money
Money makes banks
Banks make loans
Loans make beggars
Beggars make rags"

Anonymous. English 19th Century.
paros28 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paros28 For This Useful Post:
Purdue FR-S (02-06-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #26
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,997 Times in 11,400 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quote:
It's a strange thing but it happens. When I made 20K a year I thought "man if I could make an extra 10K I could do all these other things" then at 30k it was "How'd I live with just 20k?.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
That's typical. When my parents came here they made minimum wage; now they're pretty set as they spend within their means yet there's always the "if we had $xxxxx more money..." which to me makes money like a drug. You build up tolerance and need more and more of it to get the same effect it used to give you. Eventually you can OD and die (bankruptcy).
I think you may be leaving out the "more I earn, the less I get to keep" portion of this. That has a much bigger impact than people realize.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #27
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I think you may be leaving out the "more I earn, the less I get to keep" portion of this. That has a much bigger impact than people realize.
I was purposely leaving that out. I love paying my taxes after all :happy0180:
Old 02-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #28
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
That too. Taxes only go up!