follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 09-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #43
TwiBlueG35

Drives: 2012 GTI/2008 IS350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I love to see people driving pure sports cars like FR-S/BRZ and MX-5. Last time I saw a beautiful girl driving a PRHT NC MX-5 and I thought she was even more sexier.......
Old 09-02-2012, 01:14 AM   #44
wrxgoose
WUB WUB

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Thanked 1,573 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

that's my old miata. it was an '89, 1.6L. it had no driving aids, and out of all the cars i've owned, it was definately the most fun. a true minimalist sports car

edit: it also had a lizard living on the driver's side light
wrxgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:37 AM   #45
sapphire

Drives: FRS in WHITEOUT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
This thread makes me miss my 1990 Miata. The way it turns on a sharp corner, how I feel one with the road.. really a great car.
I'm really forever grateful to my bf for making it my very first car, I'm not even exaggerating but the MX-5 has forever changed my life. I cannot stand "regular economy" cars; until I absolutely have to I don't think I can ever own a, for example, corolla, you know?
And as for those 'gay' jokes, when my bf first bought the Miata he got it all the time from our friends. Guess what though, after they realize that their words mean nothing and the car (although old) still proved to be a great car.. HA within a couple of months two of our friends bought a Miata.
Although they don't deserve that car.. one "friend" bought it as a "winter beater".. what a fool. Ugh those are the kind of people who have absolutely no idea what the car is when they call it 'gay'.
sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sapphire For This Useful Post:
karma003 (03-27-2013), TuxedoCartman (12-14-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #46
JimmyMac

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2016 Miata Club
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Weird, never had the gay comments. Only comments were, "How many women have you had in the car?" But then again, my '93 had a turbo in it. So not sure if that had anything to do with it. hehe
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyMac For This Useful Post:
Guff (12-18-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #47
stealth1

Drives: f150
I had a miata, funest car ever, just add good tires and you have an amazing handling car. Decent gas mileage, fun for backroads or an occasional autocross. I got mine used, put good tires on it and still had under $5000 in it. Just don't expect to be able to impress your friends by taking them on thrill rides. No guy I knew would be caught dead being seen riding in a miata with another guy. It ranks right up there with guys riding on the back of harleys. (not recommended) Just enjoy it by yourself for what it is. Don't try to explain why miata's are cool to someone because 99% of people will never understand. They are amazing cars. I want an FR-S because it isn't a chick car and my friends might actually ride in it with me.
stealth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stealth1 For This Useful Post:
veuxx (10-13-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #48
Bugbeat

Drives: '00 Avalon (daily driver), '05 A8L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
I've had 2 current generation miatas 2006 and 2010 and yes the BRZ pulls harder than the current generation miata. If you want to top down and enjoy the surroundings when you drive then you can't beat a miata.

Here are my 2 miatas, I do miss top down motoring.

It's interesting that you say that, because it's almost the exact same point Chris Harris made: the MX-5 isn't a great sports car, but it's a good roadster.
Bugbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #49
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,465 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth1 View Post
I had a miata, funest car ever, just add good tires and you have an amazing handling car. Decent gas mileage, fun for backroads or an occasional autocross. I got mine used, put good tires on it and still had under $5000 in it. Just don't expect to be able to impress your friends by taking them on thrill rides. No guy I knew would be caught dead being seen riding in a miata with another guy. It ranks right up there with guys riding on the back of harleys. (not recommended) Just enjoy it by yourself for what it is. Don't try to explain why miata's are cool to someone because 99% of people will never understand. They are amazing cars. I want an FR-S because it isn't a chick car and my friends might actually ride in it with me.
I almost got a used 2010 rag top miata. All my co-workers were like don't blah blah..... I basically decided against it as this was going to be my daily. One day I might buy a really old nicely kept used one as a secondary car but just not now as my only car.
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #50
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
I almost got a used 2010 rag top miata. All my co-workers were like don't blah blah..... I basically decided against it as this was going to be my daily. One day I might buy a really old nicely kept used one as a secondary car but just not now as my only car.
I've heard they're a bitch for winter commuting.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #51
Jaylyons1

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ; 1993 Skyline GT-R
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
My ex had a 2000 miata. I drove it frequently and used it for one auto-x event when my car was out of commission.

I did like the way it drove although it was a little more loose than the BRZ. The suspension was also quite bouncy in comparison. The biggest thing I didn't like about it though was the lackluster power in spite of it weighing in less than 2400 pounds.

Even with the new miata's, the BRZ still has about a one and a half horsepower per pound advantage over the miata, but I'm sure the newer models drive better as well.
Jaylyons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #52
DelayedBRZ

Drives: GBS BRZ, Auto Limited
Both

I picked up a 91 MX5 last year for $500 and now that my BRZ is here I have completely torn the MX5 down to the unit body and rebuilding it for the winter. So with a BRZ for a DD the MX5 is going to be the wife's secondary vehicle for MPG (she drives a 2012 Silverado) and occasional track duty (Mid America Motorplex FTW). They are both similar tools with different duties. I love them both and intend on keeping them together for a long time. I am even going to paint the NA GBS for matching cars.
DelayedBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #53
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've spent a good amount of seat time in NA and NC Miatas, and currently own an FR-S. Not sure I have much to add that hasn't already been said.

There is noticeably less body-roll in the FR-S than the NA/NC, but it also rides more firmly. Neither the NA or NC is as neutral at the limit as the FR-S in stock form. In terms of chassis rigidity, the FR-S obviously benefits from its fixed roof, with the NA coming in a distant third. The NA is the lightest and smallest car, and feels like that to drive. With the top up, you definitely feel cramped inside. Also applies to the NC.

In terms of speed, the FR-S is much faster than the NA, and a little faster than the NC. The FR-S shifter is noticeably notchier and the clutch feels lighter. The driving position feels about the same in the cars (i.e., they're low so you'll feel like your butt is inches above the ground). All are ergonomically good. The steering in the FR-S feels the most connected with the least amount of slop, but the NA in particular has the best feedback through the wheel. The FR-S has the quickest steering.

To me, the FR-S is like a fixed-roof, sport-edition NC Miata. A little quicker, better handling, harder-edged. Plus two rear seats.
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #54
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbeat View Post
It's interesting that you say that, because it's almost the exact same point Chris Harris made: the MX-5 isn't a great sports car, but it's a good roadster.
chris harris is kind of a joke. i dont think any sort of journalism should have opinions, thanks to top gear and the like, every review is full of so much hyperbole its hard to find out what is really going on. i doubt the miata is the most tracked car in the world by mistake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
I've spent a good amount of seat time in NA and NC Miatas, and currently own an FR-S. Not sure I have much to add that hasn't already been said.

There is noticeably less body-roll in the FR-S than the NA/NC, but it also rides more firmly. Neither the NA or NC is as neutral at the limit as the FR-S in stock form. In terms of chassis rigidity, the FR-S obviously benefits from its fixed roof, with the NA coming in a distant third. The NA is the lightest and smallest car, and feels like that to drive. With the top up, you definitely feel cramped inside. Also applies to the NC.

In terms of speed, the FR-S is much faster than the NA, and a little faster than the NC. The FR-S shifter is noticeably notchier and the clutch feels lighter. The driving position feels about the same in the cars (i.e., they're low so you'll feel like your butt is inches above the ground). All are ergonomically good. The steering in the FR-S feels the most connected with the least amount of slop, but the NA in particular has the best feedback through the wheel. The FR-S has the quickest steering.

To me, the FR-S is like a fixed-roof, sport-edition NC Miata. A little quicker, better handling, harder-edged. Plus two rear seats.
i used to think that but lately im not so sure. what made me change my mind is the fact that the nb seems to have less feel. they are mechanically the same except for the structural integrity. that leads me to believe that a lot of that feel from the na is just a byproduct of such a flimsy chassis. having said that, my current miata (although down on power because of the 1.6) is a riot to drive weighing in at 2116 lbs from the factory.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #55
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
with perrins stg 1 tune and my mods i been eating miatas at the track
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #56
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
i used to think that but lately im not so sure. what made me change my mind is the fact that the nb seems to have less feel. they are mechanically the same except for the structural integrity. that leads me to believe that a lot of that feel from the na is just a byproduct of such a flimsy chassis. having said that, my current miata (although down on power because of the 1.6) is a riot to drive weighing in at 2116 lbs from the factory.
That's a very interesting thought. I wonder if steering feedback has an inverse relationship with chassis rigidity. It kind of makes sense, perhaps some of what we perceive as steering feedback is just the chassis/steering column flexing over mid-corner bumps. I'll have to think about that one.

Re. differences between the NA and NB, didn't the NA Miata also have a manual steering rack? I seem to remember the one that I used to drive (1990 or 1991 1.6) did. That might be another reason why the NB feels like it's down on steering feel compared to the NA. BTW I've only driven the NB a handful of times, so can't really comment too much on the quality of its steering feel.
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote