follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: Is the FR-S
Yes 281 90.94%
No 28 9.06%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 11-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #57
Sigma6

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
Oh no I'm just trying to justify it to my parents. They aren't seeing the value. I've been following this car since it was mentioned. I'm a college sophomore btw. I'll start off with a lease and turn that into a buy.
Do yourself a favor and buy something cheap that has no payments involved. If you are a sophomore in college, and you NEED to justify the purchase with your parents, then maybe there are other issues here other than whether or not this car is worth the price to you (or them).
Sigma6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #58
LIKEABOSS

Drives: 2013 Boss 302 & 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedmundo View Post
Excellent post. I agree, except I'd clarify that you can't find a similar great driving experience unless you spend loads more, for something else with low weight and RWD. You can have a great driving experience though. For example, the Focus ST is a fantastic driver's car for under $30k, and would probably be a better option for most people. It has more tech, creature comforts, etc. I don't think it's as fun to drive as the twins, but it's awesome in its own right. The Mustang GT is great too, but obviously very different, and only about $10k more.
I had originally planned to trade my 12 Focus Titanium for a Focus ST. However, the Recaro seats killed the deal for me because I was sitting on the side bolsters of the seats. I happened to test drive a FR-S for the heck of it and really enjoyed it. Needless to say I'm driving a FR-S as a daily now. Trust me nobody is missing out on the MyFord Sucks system. It is a POS even after multiple updates. My low tech Pioneer head unit in the FR-S has been flawless with my Nokia Lumia 900.
LIKEABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #59
Spd229

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
For a stereo upgrade, pearl paint, and a spoiler I can't say I'd spend the $27,000 knowing that the base sticker is $25,195 (+$200 for whiteout).

(Personally, knowing that the Bespoke is $800 worth of an upgrade from the dealership, that leaves about $1000 being allocated to the spoiler...no thanks, the part of me that manages the money says it just isn't worth it.)

If you want a spoiler, there are plenty of options as well as the 'stock' one that the dealer is marketing to you. If you want whiteout, I'm sure you'll be able to find the car closer to sticker without the stereo 'upgrade'.

However, if you want or don't mind those things or the price. Purchase the darned thing, they're great cars. Though if you mind those items and planned on purchasing it for closer to sticker, pass and move on to the next one until you find the car the way you want it.

Mine came with the crummy tint (eh....damn expensive when it can be done for $150 or so locally) and the mud guards (which I don't mind at all), granted it was what I wanted and could afford. So I pulled the trigger.

EDIT:
Is that out the door price? Take that. Take it now before someone posts up a Fry meme.
EDIT 2:
Disregard the pricing stuff up top as that's OTD. Get It.

I did not realize you were not the one paying for this (I missed the lines mentioning college sophomore and such), in light of that; if your parents are trying to find something reliable and efficient (while this car is both for what it is) there are better options for a lower price point plain and simple. If I were purchasing a car for my kid in college, it wouldn't be this one.

This is a relatively practical car if you don't carry items worthy of a mini van or 4 door hatch. It gets pretty good gas mileage depending on how you drive it and seems to hold up pretty well in an accident. It's got plenty of power to get you into traffic without worry and should be pretty dependable. The knobs while appearing cheap are very responsive from my use so far, the interior holds up to daily use and anything not up to one's taste can easily be wrapped to look more upscale for a fraction of the upscale price.

The maintenance is fairly easy and inexpensive if done yourself which is a plus, though I don't know how that stacks up to any other options your parents may have in mind for you.

You certainly won't be fitting 5 people in this car as I've done with other coupes. I haven't tried putting a snowboard in it yet either, though it should fit. You won't be moving between campus and home or anywhere else very easily with this car either (well, if you have slim tvs, and such, you might. But don't count on moving anything too tall or wide. I miss being able to put a 27" tube tv in my trunk.)

Breaks my heart to look at it like that though, as I feel I want to fight for you to get this car lol. It's great.

Last edited by Spd229; 11-27-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Spd229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #60
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma6 View Post
Do yourself a favor and buy something cheap that has no payments involved. If you are a sophomore in college, and you NEED to justify the purchase with your parents, then maybe there are other issues here other than whether or not this car is worth the price to you (or them).
I'm not the one paying for it. That's why I need to justify it. (Everything after it leaves the dealer is me though.)

The spoiler is ~$400. The rest is dealer and handling fees.
boredom.is.me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #61
nedmundo

Drives: Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKEABOSS View Post
I had originally planned to trade my 12 Focus Titanium for a Focus ST. However, the Recaro seats killed the deal for me because I was sitting on the side bolsters of the seats. I happened to test drive a FR-S for the heck of it and really enjoyed it. Needless to say I'm driving a FR-S as a daily now. Trust me nobody is missing out on the MyFord Sucks system. It is a POS even after multiple updates. My low tech Pioneer head unit in the FR-S has been flawless with my Nokia Lumia 900.
Yeah, those Recaros in the ST are tight. I'm only 5'9" and about 180, and even I thought they were a little constricting at first, but I got used to them and would probably like them for the long haul. I did prefer the seats in the FR-S, which felt right instantly. MyFordTouch is complete nonsense, no question. I love the simplicity of the controls in the FR-S. In this respect, it actually reminds me of our 2006 stripper Mazda 5 microvan (with 5MT, of course): all function, no fluff.
nedmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #62
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,096 Times in 8,333 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm not the one paying for it. That's why I need to justify it. (Everything after it leaves the dealer is me though.)

Then don't bother, look other cars.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #63
LIKEABOSS

Drives: 2013 Boss 302 & 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedmundo View Post
Yeah, those Recaros in the ST are tight. I'm only 5'9" and about 180, and even I thought they were a little constricting at first, but I got used to them and would probably like them for the long haul. I did prefer the seats in the FR-S, which felt right instantly. MyFordTouch is complete nonsense, no question. I love the simplicity of the controls in the FR-S. In this respect, it actually reminds me of our 2006 stripper Mazda 5 microvan (with 5MT, of course): all function, no fluff.
I'm 6'4" 220 and those Recaros weren't going to be comfy like the ones in my Boss. The FR-S seats fit me like a glove.
LIKEABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #64
pyro530

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Well, I came from a Neon SRT-4 with a hard plastic dash ... so the interior on this thing feels and looks damn nice to me.

The thing is, what other new 'sporty cars' are in this price range?
GTI, Gen. Coupe, Civic Si, MX-5

Nothing else has the build quality and RWD fun factor of the FR-S and yes I have test drove most the cars on this list, except the GTI
Past: 1994 Integra - Sold | 2005 Dodge SRT-4 - Totaled by Hail | 1997 Acura 2.2 CL slowmobile - Sold | 1991 BMW E30 - Sold | 1991 Acura Integra GS - Wrecked | 1971 Chevy C-10 shortbed stepside - Sold | 1973 Camaro Z-28 Clone - Stolen
pyro530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #65
Spd229

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S AT
Quote:

I did not realize you were not the one paying for this (I missed the lines mentioning college sophomore and such), in light of that; if your parents are trying to find something reliable and efficient (while this car is both for what it is) there are better options for a lower price point plain and simple. If I were purchasing a car for my kid in college, it wouldn't be this one.

This is a relatively practical car if you don't carry items worthy of a mini van or 4 door hatch. It gets pretty good gas mileage depending on how you drive it and seems to hold up pretty well in an accident. It's got plenty of power to get you into traffic without worry and should be pretty dependable. The knobs while appearing cheap are very responsive from my use so far, the interior holds up to daily use and anything not up to one's taste can easily be wrapped to look more upscale for a fraction of the upscale price.

The maintenance is fairly easy and inexpensive if done yourself which is a plus, though I don't know how that stacks up to any other options your parents may have in mind for you.

You certainly won't be fitting 5 people in this car as I've done with other coupes. I haven't tried putting a snowboard in it yet either, though it should fit. You won't be moving between campus and home or anywhere else very easily with this car either (well, if you have slim tvs, and such, you might. But don't count on moving anything too tall or wide. I miss being able to put a 27" tube tv in my trunk.)

Breaks my heart to look at it like that though, as I feel I want to fight for you to get this car lol. It's great.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #66
gily25

Drives: Silica BRZ 6MT
Quote:

Here's an old sales/marketing trick for ya...you have to show them something they would NEVER want you to have. Think early 2000's Corvette (should run the same price but is in another world in "parent eyes")...you have to obsess about it...then change your tune...start talking about how the FRS would be new and has a warranty and you wouldn't get overwhelmed by it's "low powered" engine...really play it up.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #67
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I spend more than the cost of the FRS stitching MGs back together from piles of tired rust and grime. Are they worth it? Certainly not if you are going to add up the list of modern day features that are in the resulting package.

So why do people do it? There is more to value than the sum of in-car entertainment and conveniences? It has to have value to you in order to be "worth it."
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #68
JDMenrique
DEEEERP

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Garage
I bought mine for $24,195.

I don't think I need all the "extras" to drive put the price. I, personally, would not pay $28k for this car.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #69
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
Quote:
Oh no I'm just trying to justify it to my parents. They aren't seeing the value. I've been following this car since it was mentioned. I'm a college sophomore btw. I'll start off with a lease and turn that into a buy.

ditto

Well obviously. The parts compiled will almost always cost less than individual parts. That's just a general rule to pretty much everything.

There are dealer knick knacks and stuff in there, but still, that's not happening. The spoiler and paint is all that is wanted.

You and whaap are the only ones here that actually hit the topic.
I could have sworn that this post was not here when I responded the first time.

Anyhow, this car is all about reconnecting the driver with the road. The BRZ offers higher option content in terms of nav, HID'S, fog lights, and climate control. Truth be known, I like those bells and whistles, but, I like the price I paid for the FR-S better. The important essence is all there.

Most people (and especially parents) have a hard time seeing value in a sports car. I am frankly surprised at the fact my wife didn't have issues with me getting the car. Owning the car for about three months now, I cherish every minute of every opportunity that I have to drive the car. Every time that I walk up to my car, I get excited about the fun that I am about to have. The smiles per mile to me are priceless. I love driving again and that is invaluable.
Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #70
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
This is not about RWD, fun aspect, or anything like that. This is purely about what you get in/with the car.

That's the thing though....the fun aspect is what makes the car worth it.

The money has been spent on things you can't really see. They spent so much time and money engineering the chassis to be as good as it is that it can be overlooked by the average Joe. This brilliant chassis that just LOVES to rotate around turns is easily worth the price of admission.

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote