follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 11-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Wolfkiller

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Finally got my Whiteout FR-S, lets drive.

I finally got my car.
Her name is Blow. (she's white and addicting)
I basically live in West Hollywood off Melrose so hit me up if you wanna drive Mullholland or something, I'm always down.

I have a question and I know I'm being anal.
I got my car from Redlands Scion after calling maybe 30 dealerships to find one. It had 55 miles on it already which I didn't like, but this was because it was driven there from another dealer in the area as a trade.
In the short period of driving, if the guy who drove it between dealerships revved it like crazy, like to 7000 RPM's a few times, ignoring the break in 1000 miles, could it have had any negative effects.

Thanks, and I'm excited to drive with my fellow Southern California FR-S owners.
Wolfkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfkiller For This Useful Post:
frsguy707 (11-22-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
first off congrats. To answer your question, which you'll get a million different answers to btw, it should be fine. Engines are basically broken in fro. Factory. Do an early oil change if for insurance if you want since there more than likely be a bit of metal shavings anyway. The engine needs to see a range of rpms yo break in either way and some people believe driving it hard like that should be part of the process anyway.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
ike44

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat de Lioncourt View Post
In the short period of driving, if the guy who drove it between dealerships revved it like crazy, like to 7000 RPM's a few times, ignoring the break in 1000 miles, could it have had any negative effects.
Break ins are always debated. Despite what the manual says, modern cars are mostly broken in when they leave the production line. They are put on dynos in the factory and revved for quality control and to make sure nothing blows up. There is a thread somewhere on this forum that shows the FR-S factory line and quality control, but I cant find it. If the guy who drove it to your dealership (dont they get put on the big trucks for that? I dunno) revved it, there will probably be nothing wrong. If you want to get nitpicky you COULD make the argument that by not following the manual, performance will decrease. But realistically, the engine is already mostly broken in.
ike44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
Fish

Drives: 2015 Yuzu RS1.0 Scion FR-S #893
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Welcome! Hope to see you at future meets!

As far as the break-in, I wouldn't worry about it. You'll get numerous answers regarding it. I took mine to Vegas with 91 miles on it and its doing just fine. Just enjoy the car and IF something does happen, that's what the warranty is for.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
xxthrillxx
Perfectly Balanced...

Drives: '13 FRS & '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Congrats! And welcome to the owners club . You're gonna have loads of fun with your new ride

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
xxthrillxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
whitefrs
Love Boost!!!!!!!!

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Welcome and i love the name!!
Wolfkiller (11-22-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Khánh

Drives: sc00ter
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Congrats!! You were a step before me haha I was gonna go check that one out but they said it just got sold. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it? and How was the experience with that Dealer?

thanks
Khánh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
Bmore_Raven86

Drives: Scion FRS Raven
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
dont do it bro!..You have the possibilities of CEL issues popping up..trust me its worth the wait..you dont want ur car going back in the shop for a long time.. cus you didnt follow the manuals..CMON bro its their for a reason..Dude just go for a long drive to Arizona or something..PEACE!!
Bmore_Raven86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
Evasive Motorsports

Drives: 2012 FR-S and BR-Z
Thanked 1,892 Times in 638 Posts
Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Evasive Motorsports
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat de Lioncourt View Post
I finally got my car.
Her name is Blow. (she's white and addicting)
I basically live in West Hollywood off Melrose so hit me up if you wanna drive Mullholland or something, I'm always down.

I have a question and I know I'm being anal.
I got my car from Redlands Scion after calling maybe 30 dealerships to find one. It had 55 miles on it already which I didn't like, but this was because it was driven there from another dealer in the area as a trade.

Thanks, and I'm excited to drive with my fellow Southern California FR-S owners.
Hope the car works out great for you. I don't think you will have any negative effects. Most cars are broken in at the factory.
Evasive Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #10
Wolfkiller

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khánh View Post
Congrats!! You were a step before me haha I was gonna go check that one out but they said it just got sold. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it? and How was the experience with that Dealer?

thanks
They were fine to deal with. Pretty standard when you buy a Scion I guess.
My only complaint is that the dealer told me the car comes broken in already and that he read in the manual that it didn't need to be broken in. I was completely weary of this but I did open up the throttle a few times on my hour and a half drive back to LA.
When I got home I read in the manual not to exceed 4000 RPM's and I got a little pissed.
The next day I went back to pick up my GTI, which I left there and I told the guy it wasn't cool to tell people it was broken in already cause they can mess up their brand new cars. He also told me I couldn't buy the warranty at a later time. Which was a lie and I knew it so I didn't buy it from them. Principle.
Other than the two lies I caught Larry in, the dealer, it was a smooth experience.
I paid $25,300 something. Mats, stupid appliqué...the minor stuff basically was what was added to it already.
Wolfkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfkiller For This Useful Post:
Khánh (11-23-2012)
Old 11-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
mufasis

Drives: 2023 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Dude you're all good the motors are revved in the factory after the engine is made to seal the rings, you think a corporation like Subaru or Toyota would leave it to the mass public to break in an engine correctly? Haha yeah right! The break in is mostly for the clutch not to warp it. Anyways I'm located in Brentwood. I'm always down for the snake, let me know whats up!!!!!