follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

View Poll Results: Interested in a double din Android unit?
Yes, I'd be interested 248 78.73%
Maybe, depends on the capabilities of the deck. 67 21.27%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 11-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #225
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrylum View Post
Received my head unit on Friday and installed it yesterday. So far so good, though I haven't got my steering wheel controls connected yet, nor the rear-view camera that came with it. I'll post a video review soon.
Awesome man!

I'm gonna try installing mine in the other car today if I get time before the football games start.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:47 AM   #226
gerrylum

Drives: 2006 Scion tC
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If anyone has tips on how to get the steering wheel controls to work, and how to use my tC's OEM AUX/iPod input to work, it would be greatly appreciated!
gerrylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #227
2forme

Garage
Quote:
If anyone has tips on how to get the steering wheel controls to work, and how to use my tC's OEM AUX/iPod input to work, it would be greatly appreciated!
I wonder if you need a steering wheel adapter kit. Can you find the steering control lead in the stock harness?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #228
gerrylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
I wonder if you need a steering wheel adapter kit. Can you find the steering control lead in the stock harness?
According to the diagram for the Metra harness I got, it's not part of the main harness. The main harness has all the connectors I needed to get the new radio to WORK, it just didn't include any of the extra goodies.

There are a couple of smaller harnesses that went into the stock radio, but I don't know what wire does what on those. I'm pretty sure the steering wheel control leads and aux leads are part of those harnesses, but I haven't been able to find a diagram for those anywhere, and those wires are currently not connected to anything.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #229
2forme

Garage
Quote:
According to the diagram for the Metra harness I got, it's not part of the main harness. The main harness has all the connectors I needed to get the new radio to WORK, it just didn't include any of the extra goodies.

There are a couple of smaller harnesses that went into the stock radio, but I don't know what wire does what on those. I'm pretty sure the steering wheel control leads and aux leads are part of those harnesses, but I haven't been able to find a diagram for those anywhere, and those wires are currently not connected to anything.
Does metra have a kit for those?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #230
gerrylum

Quote:
Does metra have a kit for those?
Not as far as I can see on their website. They have SWC harnesses that utilize some kind of interface box to be able to use the steering wheel controls. It may be that the only way to retain the stock controls is to use that device.

But as for the aux inputs, I can't seem to find any harness for those.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #231
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Not as far as I can see on their website. They have SWC harnesses that utilize some kind of interface box to be able to use the steering wheel controls. It may be that the only way to retain the stock controls is to use that device.

But as for the aux inputs, I can't seem to find any harness for those.
Is it just a regular USB interface for the AUX controls?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #232
gerrylum

Quote:
Is it just a regular USB interface for the AUX controls?
There's a 2.5mm headphone jack and iPod connect for the AUX, if that's what you mean. The connectors on the old stock Pioneer head unit look like this: The bigger two connectors on the top right are taken care of by the Metra harness. The rest, I assume, handle things like aux input and steering wheel controls.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #233
2forme

Garage
Yea, I would try to find a wiring diagram or service manual to identify which leads you need off those harnesses...
Old 11-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #234
WRXGuy1

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I would love an android-based nav, but it can't be running anything less than Android 4.0. 2.2 is so outdated, many apps don't even run on it anymore.

WRXGuy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #235
gerrylum

Quote:
Yea, I would try to find a wiring diagram or service manual to identify which leads you need off those harnesses...
Indeed! I've been doing a lot of googling trying to find a diagram for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXGuy1 View Post
I would love an android-based nav, but it can't be running anything less than Android 4.0. 2.2 is so outdated, many apps don't even run on it anymore.
What kind of apps do you want to run on it? Remember, this is a head unit in your car, not really a tablet, so you're not really going to be doing a lot of hardcore gaming or anything. So far I haven't had much of a problem getting the apps I would want in my car to run on the unit.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #236
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Indeed! I've been doing a lot of googling trying to find a diagram for them.

What kind of apps do you want to run on it? Remember, this is a head unit in your car, not really a tablet, so you're not really going to be doing a lot of hardcore gaming or anything. So far I haven't had much of a problem getting the apps I would want in my car to run on the unit.
This! People lose sight of what the purpose of the head unit is. Compare this to a Pioneer 940 or Kenwood 6990 and there's no contest. This wins hands down in software, user interface, and expandability. If people want a tablet in their dash to play the latest Angry Birds, hack a Nexus 7 into it. I prefer something a bit more directed towards car use with less aggravation.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #237
gerrylum

Quote:
This! People lose sight of what the purpose of the head unit is. Compare this to a Pioneer 940 or Kenwood 6990 and there's no contest. This wins hands down in software, user interface, and expandability. If people want a tablet in their dash to play the latest Angry Birds, hack a Nexus 7 into it. I prefer something a bit more directed towards car use with less aggravation.
And that's not even to say it wouldn't run the latest Angry Birds, because I'm pretty sure it will!
Old 11-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #238
2forme

Garage
Quote:
And that's not even to say it wouldn't run the latest Angry Birds, because I'm pretty sure it will!
Yea, but it would be aggravating on a resistive touch screen LOL. Probably be fine on the Ca-Fi.