follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT / PA

NY / NJ / CT / PA NY, NJ, CT, PA

User Tag List

Old 11-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #15
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinnivek8877 View Post
i hear a lot about Blizzak WS70, but what about Blizzak LM-60? anybody have experience with this?
I have LM60's on my stock rims now. It's the same tread pattern as the WS70 but with a harder compound, so it isn't as good on ice, but it should give you the grip you're used to in snow, and it's superior to the summers in cold temperature. Since we don't get a ton of snow/ice here in the New York metro area, I decided on the LM60's. Back when I lived in the Midwest, I used the WS instead.

But fear not, fellow New Yorkers - I just fixed my snowblower today, so I pretty much guaranteed that we won't get any snow this season! You can thank me later!
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Foobar For This Useful Post:
kevinnivek8877 (11-17-2012)
Old 11-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #16
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Oh I should add that the LM60's are better for dry/wet performance and will last longer than the WS70's. Basically, it's a winter performance tire that you replace your summer performance tires when the temperatures drop. It'll get you in and out of snow, but I wouldn't expect it to give you deep snow/ice confidence like the WS70's would.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #17
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
Nokian Hakkapollita Rs are our favorites for snow/winter tires. Their compound is amazingly good from -10 up to 70 degrees and they grip in snow and ice and cold pavement amazingly well. Problem is they are pricey

If you aren't going with the Nokians, then go with the inexpensive alternative General Altimax Arctic tires. They will wear out quicker but their cost of entry is very palatable.

-Mike Paisan

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.
Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AZP Installs For This Useful Post:
amram (12-20-2013)
Old 11-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #18
kevinnivek8877

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
Oh I should add that the LM60's are better for dry/wet performance and will last longer than the WS70's. Basically, it's a winter performance tire that you replace your summer performance tires when the temperatures drop. It'll get you in and out of snow, but I wouldn't expect it to give you deep snow/ice confidence like the WS70's would.
Thanks, this is just what I was looking for in a dedicated set of winter tires in my area.
kevinnivek8877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #19
kndonlee

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinnivek8877 View Post
i hear a lot about Blizzak WS70, but what about Blizzak LM-60? anybody have experience with this?
I've had the Blizzak WS60s on my S2000. The WS60s didn't have a firm sidewall, so the car would wobble around a bit on normal civilized driving. However, the grip on them in snow and wet was excellent. On warmer days around 50, not driving hard, you could smell the tires burning as they were for lower temps. This makes choose the LM over the WS series for a performance car.

From the s2ki forums, I've heard good things about the guys running LM's.
kndonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kndonlee For This Useful Post:
amram (12-20-2013), kevinnivek8877 (11-19-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #20
atledreier

Drives: GT86 DGM
Garage
Got Hakka R tires sitting here waiting for the car. Should be here in three weeks, i'll let you know.
atledreier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to atledreier For This Useful Post:
AZP Installs (11-19-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #21
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
All-seasons on a RWD car in the snow will give you about as much traction as wearing flip flops on a frozen pond. Get snow tires and drive carefully.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #22
AZP Installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by atledreier View Post
Got Hakka R tires sitting here waiting for the car. Should be here in three weeks, i'll let you know.
Love Hakka R.

-Mike Paisan

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.
Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"
Old 03-22-2015, 10:16 AM   #23
mal

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
BUMP!
Got the Hakkas for Winter, love them. Now it's spring, and I need new tires... I need something that will last 3 summers, I don't go to the track and don't need super high performance... but like to push it a bit now and then :-). What do you all like? I'm considering the Primacy again? They lasted really well. This summer tire stuff is all new to me!
mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #24
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm in the same boat and will be needing 3 season tires soon too. I'd like something better in the cold than the stock garbage, I also want better in the rain but don't need them for snow because I will always run dedicated winter tires. I just don't want to have to run the winter tires for as long as I had to this year because the rears are shot after just the one season.

I'm thinking MPSS but haven't gotten any good feedback on cold but dry performance. The stock rubber gets so hard in the cold you can't let the clutch out without spinning and they offer ZERO confidence cornering or braking below ~40 degrees.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:52 AM   #25
AZP Installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
I'm in the same boat and will be needing 3 season tires soon too. I'd like something better in the cold than the stock garbage, I also want better in the rain but don't need them for snow because I will always run dedicated winter tires. I just don't want to have to run the winter tires for as long as I had to this year because the rears are shot after just the one season.

I'm thinking MPSS but haven't gotten any good feedback on cold but dry performance. The stock rubber gets so hard in the cold you can't let the clutch out without spinning and they offer ZERO confidence cornering or braking below ~40 degrees.
The stock tires are summer tires. Summer tires are not meant to be driven in temps below 50 degrees. The MPSS are also summer tires, also not meant to be driven below 50 degrees.

If you plan to use your summer tires below 50 degrees you should be driving on all-season tires.

Snow tires are good to 50-55 degrees and you shouldn't be wearing out your snows, if they are performance/quality snows unless you are doing burnouts with them or driving them into 70-80 degree weather!

MPSS are great summer street tires with great water evacuation but they won't help with the cold weather.

-mike
The Following User Says Thank You to AZP Installs For This Useful Post:
dp1 (03-23-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #26
DashRipRock

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S-6AT
I just bought my FRS so I had to buy winter tires right away. The salesman was a little confused. I had educate him on tires and temps. I bought Pirelli Sottozerro H rated. They are on the stock rims. Nice tires.

I think the Dealership should be selling these cars with the right tires for the season. If I didn't have the money for the winter tires the new car would be sitting more than driving. Or I would have had to wait till next month to take delivery.

It was - 10 C this morning. :eek:
DashRipRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #27
AZP Installs

Yup when you buy a car that ships with summer tires on it like the wrx sti and BRZ you need to pony up for winter or all season tires if you buy it in winter.

If it shipped with all season tires as the wrx did back in 2001-2007 then the grip ratings when magazines wrote them up would be terrible as they were for the wrx back in the day.

If you can't afford a set of all season tires to protect your brand new car, perhaps you are stretching your budget a little bit too thin?

Mike
Old 03-23-2015, 10:10 PM   #28
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Mike

Yeah but some are grippy enough to be serviceable closer to freezing. Obviously that's not optimal but... I have pretty much accepted that all seasons are most likely in my future especially since wet performance is important. That and as you know the roads around here are pretty thrashed.

You would think that the winter tires would have lasted longer than one season but I drive A LOT. I put them on a few days before Thanksgiving and have just under 12k on them now and most of that has been dry and high speed. What wasn't high speed was in NYC and hilly, twisty lower Hudson Valley roads. All three of those environments are hard on soft rubber. FWIW I have Conti EWC's, they are what I would call performance/quality tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZP Installs View Post
The stock tires are summer tires. Summer tires are not meant to be driven in temps below 50 degrees. The MPSS are also summer tires, also not meant to be driven below 50 degrees.

If you plan to use your summer tires below 50 degrees you should be driving on all-season tires.

Snow tires are good to 50-55 degrees and you shouldn't be wearing out your snows, if they are performance/quality snows unless you are doing burnouts with them or driving them into 70-80 degree weather!

MPSS are great summer street tires with great water evacuation but they won't help with the cold weather.

-mike