follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-09-2012, 12:36 AM   #127
mact

Drives: 13 GTI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have a rattle when going over bumps around the rear plastic panel to the right of the rear passenger side seat.
mact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #128
kgc

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Sprung many more rattles:

1. Rattle coming out of center console, left air vent. This is actually affected by air speed coming out of the vent. More air = faster rattle. When I shut the left vent, it's fine.

2. Front dash (above instrument cluster) does not seem to be fully attached. I can wiggle it with a light touch from one finger.

3. New rattle from passenger side. Sounds like it's coming from the glovebox or the passenger door. Emptied glovebox. Still there.
kgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #129
Shimmyshake

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgc View Post
Sprung many more rattles:

1. Rattle coming out of center console, left air vent. This is actually affected by air speed coming out of the vent. More air = faster rattle. When I shut the left vent, it's fine.

2. Front dash (above instrument cluster) does not seem to be fully attached. I can wiggle it with a light touch from one finger.

3. New rattle from passenger side. Sounds like it's coming from the glovebox or the passenger door. Emptied glovebox. Still there.
I have almost the same thing in my FR-S

Rattle coming out from center console area or front dash somewhere & also rattle from passenger side area.
Shimmyshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #130
randomweather

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have an FRS, but I think my issue should be relevant to this thread.

I started to notice I have rattle noise last week when I have my back seats folded down. At first I thought it was the radio that is giving this "buzz" noise. So I turn it off and notice it comes from the rear. I found it whenever I'm around 3000rpm, the noise happens. I also tried folded the seats back up on the rear and it's not as apparent but it's still there. I hope it's not related to mechanical issue.

Here's some info on my car:
- I've done more than 1000 miles
- The rattling (or "buzzing") only happens around 3000rpm. I haven't really gone above 2500rpm during my break-in so only noticing now that I rev pass or around 3000rpm.
- Radio is off
- Rev limiter set to 3500rpm and buzzer is set to off
- Noise comes from the rear (I'm driving when it happens so not sure exactly where in the back of the car)

Any ideas?
randomweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #131
BMWDavid

Drives: '89 911, '06 GTI, '13 BRZ
3,500 on my BRZ...no rattles or creaks.
2013 Subaru BRZ WRB Limited 6MT-gone but not forgotten
2014 Nissan Murano SV
BMWDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #132
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomweather View Post
I have an FRS, but I think my issue should be relevant to this thread.

I started to notice I have rattle noise last week when I have my back seats folded down. At first I thought it was the radio that is giving this "buzz" noise. So I turn it off and notice it comes from the rear. I found it whenever I'm around 3000rpm, the noise happens. I also tried folded the seats back up on the rear and it's not as apparent but it's still there. I hope it's not related to mechanical issue.

Here's some info on my car:
- I've done more than 1000 miles
- The rattling (or "buzzing") only happens around 3000rpm. I haven't really gone above 2500rpm during my break-in so only noticing now that I rev pass or around 3000rpm.
- Radio is off
- Rev limiter set to 3500rpm and buzzer is set to off
- Noise comes from the rear (I'm driving when it happens so not sure exactly where in the back of the car)

Any ideas?
I have many of the noises coming from the rear covered in my thread (in my sig).
Yours might be THIS ISSUE and there is a QUICK FIX for it.
I hope this fixes your noise.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #133
mact

Drives: 13 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mact View Post
I have a rattle when going over bumps around the rear plastic panel to the right of the rear passenger side seat.
Everyone, please check that the rear seat back is locked in and you cannot see the red part on the seat buttons. My back seat wasn't clicked in all the way and was the cause of the rattle described in my quote.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #134
kgc

Is there a way to simulate different road surfaces to reproduce rattles in a car? I was brainstorming and thought of a couple wacky ideas:

1. Play various low frequencies through the stereo.
2. 1, but use large external speakers
Old 10-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #135
inimitable

Drives: SSM 6-MT limited
I think I responded in another thread about this, originally...

In any case, I'm now noticing a number of the most common noise-making issues.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
inimitable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #136
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Anybody getting a rattle over bumps? Only over bumps, interior, somewhere in the front on the passenger's side (glovebox?).
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:25 AM   #137
kgc

I noticed that there is a loud fan noise coming from the glovebox area that sounds like an unlubricated cooling fan or something. Any idea how to address this? The dealer says it's normal, and I did notice it on other Subarus.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #138
Subie
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 SSM DZE BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriental Life View Post
I continued my search for trunk rattles, as my previous attempt didn't cure it, unfortunately.

But I found that one rattle comes from the underguard (correct me if thats called differently), which holds rear backup light and unused rear fog light. The nature of the sound is exactly what I hear in the cabin very occasionally (at first I thought that I had plastic bottle of water flying in the trunk.

I'll look more there as time permits, but that distinctive sound of plastic hitting the metal can be reproduced if you pull/move/tap that underguard piece, especially from the right side, closer to the exhaust pipe.

Had anyone else noticed that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadkiel View Post
Rattle coming from some location in the rear. Can't pinpoint it because I'm usually going around 70-80 when it starts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
yeah mine comes from the rear, but i'm thinking it sounds like the styrofoam that they put the tools in, rubbing against the metal trunk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inimitable View Post
At ~5,600 miles I'm just starting to detect a kind of rattling sound that seems to be coming from the rear on the pass. side. I've observed it while traveling on the highway, at highway speeds, and a smooth highway surface. No clue what it is or where precisely it's coming from, nor whether it matters in the slightest, just that I've just recently begun to detect it and, the 2-3x I have, it's mildly annoying.

Subscribed

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
Have any of you had success in solving the issue? For a while now I've had a tapping/squeaking noise from the back of the car. I described it once as sounding like plastic bottles rubbing against each other and recently made the connection that it could actually be from styrofoam. Lately I've only heard the tapping. It's quiet enough that you don't notice it with the radio on. It sounds like it's most likely coming from outside the car, so the diffuser, underpanels, rear wheel wells, etc. I just can't pinpoint it myself.
Subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #139
chandz05

Drives: CBS BRZ limited MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I too am starting to hear a very light tapping sound coming from the rear of the car (13000 miles in!). However, it seems to only occur on certain bumps/dips in the road, not all. It seems to happen pretty consistently on a road near my house, and drives me crazy every time. It also seems to occur at any speed. Any suggestions would be helpful! Already checked the back seats and trunk...
chandz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #140
Zadkiel

Drives: CBS BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I usually have the music on anymore. I did, however, have to remove the underfloor panel to install an aftermarket part. When I reinstalled it, I made sure the bolts were tight and it seemed to quiet it down.