follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #71
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEnd View Post
The 2AR-FE could easily work for this car. Granted the car would probably look different and it wouldn't have the cool engine tie in to the 86 nomenclature.
Actually it wouldn't. Mounting it in the engine bay would be a big problem, with it being an engine meant for a layout where it rests on top of the transaxle, which wouldn't be the case with the FR-S/BRZ.

It's for that reason why Toyota's 2ZZ-GE engine from the Celica GT-S worked for the Lotus Elise and also why Toyota's 2GR-FE engine from the Toyota Camry worked for the Lotus Evora. Didn't you ever wonder why they used the 276 hp Camry V-6 instead of the 306 hp 2GR-FSE in the IS350? It's that same reason... the more powerful version was set up for an FR layout and wouldn't fit right.

Quote:
The 1AZ-FSE has the same bore and stroke as the boxer used in the 86 line, as well as the D-4 injection system, and should be able to reach the same hp levels, though it might need a head revision to do so.
To take a 2.0-liter that's only putting out ~155 hp and increase its output by 30% is completely possible but it takes a bit more effort. If it didn't, then you'd see tons K20A3-powered Civic Si hatchbacks and base RSXs running neck-and-neck with K20Z3-powered Civic Si coupes/sedans and K20A2/K20Z1-powered RSX-S.

Quote:
I am sure there are plenty of other options as well, as I am not familiar with Toyota's engine line up really. Toyota is not lacking in 4 cylinder engines than can be sporty
But none really deserve to be in the engine bay of the FR-S/BRZ. MAYBE the 2ZZ, but that engine is getting phased out and certainly doesn't have good enough torque for it, as it's already a good 300 pounds heavier than the Celica GT-S was.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #72
DEnd

Drives: anyone seen my steering wheel?
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
Actually it wouldn't. Mounting it in the engine bay would be a big problem, with it being an engine meant for a layout where it rests on top of the transaxle, which wouldn't be the case with the FR-S/BRZ.

But none really deserve to be in the engine bay of the FR-S/BRZ. MAYBE the 2ZZ, but that engine is getting phased out and certainly doesn't have good enough torque for it, as it's already a good 300 pounds heavier than the Celica GT-S was.
Which FWD cars do you look at that have the engine on top of the transaxle?

The only "weird" thing about the 2AR-FE is how the engine mounts, which could easily be overcome by using a front and mid plate mounting (which is basically what it uses in the FWD application).

Other than the inherent packaging the boxer has (mainly lower COG), there really isn't any other reason an I-4 (or even V-6) could not be used. In fact the I-4 could be placed so as to give a better F/R weight balance.

I don't know what you mean by an engine deserving to be in the car. There are plenty of simple changes that could easily be made to any number of Toyota engines that aside from the COG of the engine itself, that would make them meet or exceed the performance on the boxer it has now. Those Changes would also be cheaper to implement than designing a whole new engine, which is what Subaru and Toyota did for this car.
DEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #73
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Which FWD cars do you look at that have the engine on top of the transaxle?
It wasn't meant to be taken that literally, though I did mix up my wording a bit. What I should have said was that they are on the same side of the car. That being said, the engine still wouldn't make a good candidate for the car without serious modification.

Quote:
Other than the inherent packaging the boxer has (mainly lower COG), there really isn't any other reason an I-4 (or even V-6) could not be used. In fact the I-4 could be placed so as to give a better F/R weight balance.
I don't think that anyone was saying that an I-4 can't be used. It's just that Toyota didn't have a sporty one available with the character that would suit a car like this one.

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by an engine deserving to be in the car.
A car with a sporty chassis deserves a sporty engine. Remember the Shelby Cobra? That car (as the AC Cobra) would never have become the classic it is today if Carroll Shelby didn't drop Ford V-8s into them. Those 85 hp 2.0-liter sixes originally resting in their engine bays weren't cutting it and certainly not granting it any "legendary" status at the time.

Quote:
There are plenty of simple changes that could easily be made to any number of Toyota engines that aside from the COG of the engine itself, that would make them meet or exceed the performance on the boxer it has now. Those Changes would also be cheaper to implement than designing a whole new engine, which is what Subaru and Toyota did for this car.
And that's also what happened. It was cheaper for them to go with an existing engine design of Subaru's than any other options, which include making a new motor or modifying any existing Toyota motor.

Toyota definitely has the know-how to make a good engine, but they just haven't had one for this purpose. The LFA motor rocks but doesn't have technology that will trickle down into a mass-production four-cylinder that easily, and even their 2ZZ-GE was still co-developed by Yamaha. Subaru, on the other hand, has been really competitive in the four-cylinder performance market, as seen with the WRX and STI.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #74
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
From what I've heard they still called in Yamaha for the head work. The FA20 does not share all that much with the FB20.
SubieNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #75
DeeezNuuuts83

Does it? I don't remember reading that (about Yamaha being invovled with the FA), but I could be wrong.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #76
RyleyMA61

Drives: '84 MA61 Supra, '88 Mercedes 500SEC
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
look up engine balance/firing order through the first, second, third and fourth harmonics.

then look up the porsche flat 6.
- 2012 ZN6 86 GTS - Hopefully coming in 2012...
RyleyMA61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #77
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
this isn't a court of law?! SHOCKING! we know that, i only made my comment about "so says the guy with the inline engine" because we know you're trying to debunk the hype around the 86, we get it, you think it's not that special, but the rave reviews of it have people thinking it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and you want people to know, "hey there are other cars out there are just as good!" we get it.

but you do realize that you're on the ft86 website, and it you're gonna hear a lot about the 86 on this website, so bashing it or telling people it's not that great isn't really productive right?

i'm a fan of the miata/mx-5, have been since i first saw one in 95 when i started getting into cars. saying that your car is better because it has a lower cog and then not bringing facts to back it up doesn't make any sense right? how can anyone take anything seriously if they don't have sources for their info? this is a discussion board, not a fox news where facts and sources go the way of the doo doo bird. thanks to dimman for the links btw.

however you can imagine how annoying it would be for people at the mx-5 message boards, if a bunch of scion tards were to go over there and post about how much better the FR-S is than the mx-5, right?

you're a reasonable guy fatoni, i've said my peace. props to fun vehicle lovers.
thats not what at all what i was saying. i never once said anything bad about the frs in this post. i just said that a boxer engine does not mean lower cog for the car. then you called me out for having an inline motor (in a car which happens to have a lower cog than the frs). i guess my point is that other than aesthetics, which are subjective, there really isnt anything special about boxers. they have pros and cons just like every other configuration we know of.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #78
DEnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
That being said, the engine still wouldn't make a good candidate for the car without serious modification.

And that's also what happened. It was cheaper for them to go with an existing engine design of Subaru's than any other options, which include making a new motor or modifying any existing Toyota motor.

Toyota definitely has the know-how to make a good engine, but they just haven't had one for this purpose. The LFA motor rocks but doesn't have technology that will trickle down into a mass-production four-cylinder that easily, and even their 2ZZ-GE was still co-developed by Yamaha. Subaru, on the other hand, has been really competitive in the four-cylinder performance market, as seen with the WRX and STI.
:facepalm:

Whatever.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #79
DEnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
thats not what at all what i was saying. i never once said anything bad about the frs in this post. i just said that a boxer engine does not mean lower cog for the car.

there really isnt anything special about boxers. they have pros and cons just like every other configuration we know of.
The boxer does allow for a lower COG design compared to a inline, slant or v-type engine. That's not to say you can't build a car with one of those engines that has a lower COG, but it's not as "easy." Part of what allowed the first gen Miata to have such a low COG is that it's a soft top, adding a steel roof and its associated glass would have raised the COG by quite a bit.

X2 about the pros and cons. Utilizing those to their fullest is what makes vehicle design and improvement so much darn fun.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #80
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuBlake View Post
Anyone else notice how much the car shakes at the rev limiter while in neutral? My guess is it's because the timing is cut off and effectively makes it seem unbalanced.

nope can't say i noticed that...but i try not to rev my motor to redline in neutral so...

why were you doing this exactly?

my motor see's redline (even now at 8k) often enough, and im not scared of it by anymeans...but why would you do that in neutral???

please don't do it again
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SkullWorks For This Useful Post:
immortal_suby (11-01-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #81
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Problem is they're wide and can't be pushed back as far for balance when front mounted and interfere with more advanced suspension options in the front because of it.
Which is a large part of why we don't have a wishbone type front setup. The other being cost. A LOT of sacrifices were made to get the car where it is...
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
ZakD (10-30-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #82
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
The boxer does allow for a lower COG design compared to a inline, slant or v-type engine. That's not to say you can't build a car with one of those engines that has a lower COG, but it's not as "easy." Part of what allowed the first gen Miata to have such a low COG is that it's a soft top, adding a steel roof and its associated glass would have raised the COG by quite a bit.

X2 about the pros and cons. Utilizing those to their fullest is what makes vehicle design and improvement so much darn fun.
im not really sold on that. i guess well see if they make a frs vert if they are still flaunting the cog. convertibles are usually heavier and all that weight is still well above the cog. if you put a steel roof on the frs the cog would go up quite a bit too.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #83
AL008

Drives: Celica 04
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieNate View Post
From what I've heard they still called in Yamaha for the head work. The FA20 does not share all that much with the FB20.
Here you go.

Quote:
Tokyo – Manufacturer Yamaha motorcycle was involved in the design of Toyota‘s sports car. Concept car Toyota FT-86 newly showcased the latest last month. This car will soon go into production.
Sources within Toyota as reported by Autocar, Thursday (15/04/2011) states that the FT-86 second generation is a manifestation of the FT-86 production version. 95 percent will look like that without 20 inches rim.
Car body is built from a monocoque chassis is designed with a steel body with dimensions of 4.235 x2, 570×1, 270 mm (LongxWidthxHeight).
This engine is powered by 2.0 liter engine with 16 valves from Subaru that has been specially modified combined with a six-speed manual gearbox.
Yamaha helped Toyota and Subaru, in designing the cylinder head to the machine which in turn can generate power to 200 bhp. Not explained again what Yamaha’s involvement in this project.
http://www.automotiveheadlines.com/t...amaha-944.html
AL008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #84
DeeezNuuuts83

Also the 86 would lose a little bit of structural rigidity. It'll still handle well but remember that it's not a car that was designed as a convertible (or with that being a distinct possibility without question) from day one.