follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #15
mikeg7827

Drives: 1995 Ford Probe
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
dual drift spec would be a nice option...
mikeg7827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #16
Le86

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
I had plenty of Megan suspension components on my 240, as well as a downpipe. Never had a single issue with any of the parts so idk why people are calling Megan Racing parts "crap" when they have never tried it themselves. Yes, I did read a lot of negative things about Megan Racing before I purchased any of the parts but I decided to bite the bullet and test them out for myself with a set of coilovers. I do believe Megan Racing sells decent products and they do so at a good price.

The saying " you get what you pay for" definitely holds true, especially regarding car parts but I've never had a bad experience with Megan Racing before. Just my .02.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #17
phenom86

Drives: Scion FRS Asphalt
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by showbe View Post
Dont see anything. Id rather spend a little more for some quality items then for some Megans. I believe Megans are just a bunch of copy cat items made in China arent they?
Does it matter where its made? If you have an iphone 5 does it bother you too that its produced in china (Foxconn’s Taiyuan factory is reportedly responsible for making 85% of all iPhone 5s, located in China’s northern province of Shanxi, just west of Beijing) NO, just cuz its produced in china you already presume its crap. Its just cheaper to produce any product in china and thats why companies here send send their designs to be produced there. Did you know that the largest foreign holder of U.S. debt is China, which owns more about $1.2 trillion in bills, notes and bonds, according to the Treasury.

That being said ... Megans and BCs coilovers are made in Taiwan, Manufactured in China...
Old 10-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #18
CBR600RR

Drives: Raven Black
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
^ almost all apple products are "Designed in California, assembelled in China"
CBR600RR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CBR600RR For This Useful Post:
glorydays (05-07-2013)
Old 10-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #19
phenom86

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR600RR View Post
^ almost all apple products are "Designed in California, assembelled in China"

sorry forgot that part out.. still coming out of china
Old 10-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #20
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I've personally owned quite a few Megan products over the years. I've even sold them as a distributor. I've never seen any issues or heard any complaints.

Just because the price is low doesn't mean they are junk.
eikond is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eikond For This Useful Post:
MarkRacerX (10-25-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #21
phenom86

Quote:
Originally Posted by eikond View Post
I've personally owned quite a few Megan products over the years. I've even sold them as a distributor. I've never seen any issues or heard any complaints.

Just because the price is low doesn't mean they are junk.
ive used megans also on my evo and never had any issues, i was also leaning towards using them on my car now
Old 10-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #22
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I'm quite interested in seeing the pricing on the exhaust. I was very pleased with the sound and fitment on my last two megan exhausts (single tip turbo style for s13 w/ Rb20 and a dual tip N1 style for a stock KA S14)
eikond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #23
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had a megan street coilover and that ride deteriorated after 1 year and squeaked in the rear brand new.

Yea, never again. Maybe fine on track with smooth road but not for DD
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #24
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
You can look at shock dyno charts to see the Megan coilovers aren't very good and you can visibly look at the exhaust to figure out it isn't very good.

The shocks are usually different on all four corners with regards to valving and adjustment, they are only compression adjustable with poor rebound characteristics, do not have much shock travel, adjusters often seize up, the list goes on.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #25
showbe
Banned

Drives: A nice one
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbkk View Post
I had a Megan catback on my EVO & really liked it. It sounded really nice and held up reslly well. i like how people who've never had Megan stuff say it's crap or it sucks. I can only speak on the exhaust, though, no comments on anything else.
It doesnt take a person to have to own a product to know it sucks. Who are you to say someone who has owned it or not? I have multiple friends who were new to the scene and purchased their suspension and exhausts. They all hated it and regretted purchasing it. Even if you search on google you will see a ton of people who say their quality isnt good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRacerX View Post
I wouldn't get too hyped up for Big Name exhaust, min gains I see no prob going w/ a budget company like Megan as far as catback. The boxer engine sounds near same no muffler/ $1k catback, very close tone a matter of a little muffled or race car sound. That is one plus w/ Boxer engine, unlike a Civic where you MUST have a nice catback, this engine isn't soo picky as far exhaust sound goes.

I personally would rather spend $$$ where it matters most for gains, instead of Expensive catbacks on N/A car. Now on the Boosted car, Exhaust is HUGE and get some gains, then a $1k Catback isn't soo bad, but for FR-S I'd rather save money on a catback and put extra $$$ and do handling like wheels/tires/suspension.

More options the better ! More we have to choose from!

My .02 cents!
Well then I guess were looking at different things arent we. I am seeing tons of gains from all the data posted on this forum. And I bet you even more once they start tuning and more stuff gets released. And you dont have to spend an arm and a leg to get a quality Cat Back their are a lot of choices to choose from. If you want an expensive one then you can always buy from HKS but their are a lot of products that dont cost as much. Even the cheaper ones will still be better quality then a Megan. And you pay what? Just a little more? Is that not worth it to have to replace it probably a year later? You will end up paying more then what you could buy a cheaper quality Exhaust then buying an HKS exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenom86 View Post
Does it matter where its made? If you have an iphone 5 does it bother you too that its produced in china (Foxconn’s Taiyuan factory is reportedly responsible for making 85% of all iPhone 5s, located in China’s northern province of Shanxi, just west of Beijing) NO, just cuz its produced in china you already presume its crap. Its just cheaper to produce any product in china and thats why companies here send send their designs to be produced there. Did you know that the largest foreign holder of U.S. debt is China, which owns more about $1.2 trillion in bills, notes and bonds, according to the Treasury.

That being said ... Megans and BCs coilovers are made in Taiwan, Manufactured in China...
Car parts and Phones are 2 totally different things. For a phone I could really care less about where its made. But when its on your car that is totally different.

Their are tons of reviews on how bad the quality of their suspension is. And what you say still doesnt fix the fact that knock off companies put real companies out of business. A lot of real good companies have gone out of business because people who make knock offs sell it for so much cheaper with shit quality then the people who originally made them go out of business because no one buys from them.

I never said just because they were produced in China they were crap. Obviously you can get quality things from there but Megan is a known company that produces shitty products. If you even bothered to read my post I never said anything about what you were talking about. Your car gets you from Point A to Point B. There suspension for example is known to fail easily. Then I have even heard of there exhausts failing also. A quick google search for Megan can tell you that easily. I never once said everything from China is horrible quality.

Its either a hit or miss with their products. You are taking a gamble on purchasing a product with poor quality control. In the end it is just better to support the REAL companies who actually stand behind their product and specialize in that department. If you cant afford it then dont buy it. You could save up just a little longer to get a quality part that you wont ever have to worry about changing out down the line. If you ever have to spend to get another one then you will regret it later on. Also supporting the local companies that put the proper research in designing there products is better for the scene then supporting a knock off company.

Last edited by showbe; 10-25-2012 at 07:56 PM.
showbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #26
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
It doesnt take a person to have to own a product to know it sucks. Who are you to say someone who has owned it or not? I have multiple friends who were new to the scene and purchased their suspension and exhausts. They all hated it and regretted purchasing it. Even if you search on google you will see a ton of people who say their quality isnt good.
I'm someone who's actually owned a Megan product. You never said you knew people who owned their products, just that you've read a bunch of reviews. Not quite the same thing. As for online reviews, I take them with a grain of salt. Most people who leave reviews weren't happy with the product, so obviously reviews can be skewed. I prefer first hand reviews from people I know or trust.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kmbkk For This Useful Post:
MarkRacerX (10-26-2012), phenom86 (10-26-2012), Strife26 (05-05-2015)
Old 10-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #27
phenom86

Quote:

I never said just because they were produced in China they were crap. Obviously you can get quality things from there but Megan is a known company that produces shitty products. If you even bothered to read my post I never said anything about what you were talking about. Your car gets you from Point A to Point B. There suspension for example is known to fail easily. Then I have even heard of there exhausts failing also. A quick google search for Megan can tell you that easily. I never once said everything from China is horrible quality.

Its either a hit or miss with their products. You are taking a gamble on purchasing a product with poor quality control. In the end it is just better to support the REAL companies who actually stand behind their product and specialize in that department. If you cant afford it then dont buy it. You could save up just a little longer to get a quality part that you wont ever have to worry about changing out down the line. If you ever have to spend to get another one then you will regret it later on. Also supporting the local companies that put the proper research in designing there products is better for the scene then supporting a knock off company.

Thanks for wasting your time, everything you wrote here is all "IVE HEARD". Get back to me when you actually decide to buy their product and actually use it. I've been in the car scene since 1994 and ive modded my cars with the best of them using parts from american muscle, euros and JDM. Ive used parts that are so freaking expensive that it was a joke in the end of owning them cuz the counter parts were as good or even better. I've owned parts from Megan from their suspension, exhaust setup, etc since the day they came on the scene and yeah some parts dont fit correct and they've fixed those issues. Do you actually think someone who copies another product just makes a mold and sells it or reproduce a product without testing it? You see companies from china copying other products even cars, do you think they just make those and not test it? My family owns a few car dealership in the philippines and one is called FOTON which is a Chinese company which makes copies of Isuzu and i can tell for a fact that its the parts from the cars we sell are from Isuzu which Isuzu sold to FOTON to make their cars. And they test those cars just like any other car. also its total BS what you said about car parts and phone, if i handed you a phone made from china i will bet that you will care.. Ive owned the phones since the first cell phones came out which you had to carry in a bag and attach the antenna to the window of your car then when motorola rolled with with their first brick phone to the latest smartphone out there and also owned a Vertu phone, great quality but in the end i would rather own a cheap smartphone.. if you dont know what Vertu is look it up!
Old 10-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #28
TAP Auto Parts
Banned

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I was sponsored by Megan as a driver back in 07. Its pretty hard to screw up hard parts like control arms and the likes. The welds were just okay, but passed the stress test so I used them. The rod ends were cheap and went bad after a few track days, but I swapped them for FK ends and all was great. The coilovers went on the car and were taken off the next day - not even close to correct, but fine for those who are trying to dump the car.

As far as exhaust systems go, I have not seen one really "legit" exhaust on the market, using hemholtz or advanced exhaust pulse tuning. If the material is quality (IE stainless or titanium), the welds are correct (clean & thorough tig or mig wleds), and the muffler sounds good and isnt prone to blowing out - its probably a-okay to put on the car.
TAP Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote