follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Old 10-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #6371
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
You have very good point...

I hate LONG traffic as much as snow
Sorry @Giccin, but I'd take snow over CA traffic any day.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
Dimman (10-17-2012), Giccin (10-16-2012), ichitaka05 (10-16-2012), OrbitalEllipses (10-17-2012), Want.FR-S (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #6372
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm eating cafeteria kimchi for dinner. Normally I don't try new things but the selection was not appetizing today and there was kimchi. I didn't know what to get on it so I asked the guys serving it and one of them recommended everything, so I did. Even the chili pepper sauce.

Hoo boy is that red sauce spicy. They told me to grab only one spoon of it and even I could tell it was going to be spicy. I'm wishing I grabbed more of it though, the rest of the kimchi is rather staid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #6373
Want.FR-S

Drives: 4 Wheels Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks, if Toyota/Scion or Subaru wanna hire me lol

Also my current job, CA get more paid vs where I live... so I've thought bout moving to CA... but I have fam & friends here
Be aware. You also need to factor in the living cost: things like gasoline price, rental, time wasted on driving, food, clothes, restaurants, etc.. The pay scale reflects the living costs as well.

And since this is a car forum, you also need to worry about CHP if they will stop you simply for your hood and demand to open the hood for any illegal mods....
The Following User Says Thank You to Want.FR-S For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #6374
Want.FR-S

My random thoughts for today: is it possible to get a car fast and quiet without too much extravaganza aero kits?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #6375
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
2nd day at my new job... my work email isn't setup yet & they're wondering why I haven't replied to their email... yeah, gotta love 2nd day at the new job.
Lol they haven't had your AD set up or the Outlook client at your workstation?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #6376
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Even with all of the people who can't drive in snow?!

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Old 10-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #6377
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Eh, it's not so bad when you know everyone on the road is staring at your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
Hoo boy is that red sauce spicy. They told me to grab only one spoon of it and even I could tell it was going to be spicy. I'm wishing I grabbed more of it though, the rest of the kimchi is rather staid.
lol. that is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want.FR-S View Post
My random thoughts for today: is it possible to get a car fast and quiet without too much extravaganza aero kits?
???
Old 10-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #6378
jimmillion
Power Ranger Elite

Drives: '13 WRB Sport-tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
aero kits aren't what makes a car fast. practical aero components are what keeps the car planted to the road. (ie. google "cars in wind tunnels")

what you're looking for are high output electric turbines. both fast and quiet at speed.

TL;DR - yes

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimmillion For This Useful Post:
boucher (10-16-2012), Guff (10-17-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #6379
Want.FR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
???
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmillion View Post
aero kits aren't what makes a car fast. practical aero components are what keeps the car planted to the road. (ie. google "cars in wind tunnels")

what you're looking for are high output electric turbines. both fast and quiet at speed.

TL;DR - yes
hehe.. got you, eh? What I am looking for is a car that is quiet and fast, but also not with strange looking body work. ie. no tear-drop shape solar power car to reduce air resistance.

It is easy to make a car fast by putting more power and reduce weight. However, that results in a loud engine note (i.e. F1 car). If I want to DD this car, I don't want to announce my presence to my neighborhood when I get home.

As of today, the pure-electric sports cars like Tesla seems to fit the spec. However, the charging problem and range problem still exists. The hybrid-powered sports car seems better, but I don't know if they are loud or quiet in speed.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #6380
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Anyone wanna buy me a new PC?

lol I'm so broke right now and I cant browse the web while listening to music because mt PC cant handle it, and it overheats. Sometimes, on a good day, right smack in the middle of a Photoshop job... I get the beautiful landcape blue window
The Following User Says Thank You to Snoopyalien24 For This Useful Post:
Guff (10-17-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #6381
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,097 Times in 8,333 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Lol they haven't had your AD set up or the Outlook client at your workstation?
Kinda... currently in my department, they're upgrading all the pc & they haven't had a chance to reg my info into the new pc... I still can look my work email from my phone, somehow not my new pc

Quote:
Be aware. You also need to factor in the living cost: things like gasoline price, rental, time wasted on driving, food, clothes, restaurants, etc.. The pay scale reflects the living costs as well.

And since this is a car forum, you also need to worry about CHP if they will stop you simply for your hood and demand to open the hood for any illegal mods....
You have a good point... & my Impreza do have a ton of mods & some of em might not pass CA emission & safety
Old 10-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #6382
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
hehe.. got you, eh? What I am looking for is a car that is quiet and fast, but also not with strange looking body work. ie. no tear-drop shape solar power car to reduce air resistance.
I see what you mean now. It's not impossible to design good aerodynamics into the usual box shape of a car, but most manufacturers aren't going to do it because it takes money and time to optimize and they could frankly care less.

The recipe is to sorta take a supercar like design and tweak out the downforce bits for drag reduction focus. A big problem with aero on cars is that you can't taper the sides in too much or else you end up with a tail that is not really useable for critical components or luggage space. When you have submerged side ducts and channel the air into the rear to fill the wake, it can act like an aggressive side taper, although running air through engine bay creates some losses and so does turning the air. I wouldn't be surprised if the McLaren MP4-12C had less drag than a Porsche 911 (0.27 coefficient).

The rims are a big source of drag, and they can definitely be tweaked a bit to look good while cutting drag a little.

This is obviously the ideal situation, carefully optimized ducting everywhere. Otherwise, the best you can do is like the Corvette or 911. The Ferrari 599 GTO is probably quite "aerodynamic" and it's not strange looking either, but you're not going to get a car with properly tested winglets and ducts for anything under 200k. The Prius doesn't even have a proper side taper for practicality, and it's pretty much an all out fuel economy car. Note that with the F12 Berlinetta and 458 Italia they ditched a lot of the side ducts, and still improved aerodynamics. "Ideal" in this case is probably not as concrete of a term as I am using it as. The Aptera has nearly completely enclosed wheels and it has a drag coefficient of 0.11. Mercedes Benz seems to think they can get below 0.2 with conventional shapes. So there's certainly a lot of room for improvement, it's just very hard to actually execute.

As for quietness, I don't know exactly what you're trying to get at. Are you concerned with bothering the neighbors or do you not like hearing engine noise inside the cabin? My car is pretty quiet from the outside, but sitting on the inside I swear I can hear every little sound coming from the engine bay.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #6383
Want.FR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
I see what you mean now. It's not impossible to design good aerodynamics into the usual box shape of a car, but most manufacturers aren't going to do it because it takes money and time to optimize and they could frankly care less.

The recipe is to sorta take a supercar like design and tweak out the downforce bits for drag reduction focus. A big problem with aero on cars is that you can't taper the sides in too much or else you end up with a tail that is not really useable for critical components or luggage space. When you have submerged side ducts and channel the air into the rear to fill the wake, it can act like an aggressive side taper, although running air through engine bay creates some losses and so does turning the air. I wouldn't be surprised if the McLaren MP4-12C had less drag than a Porsche 911 (0.27 coefficient).

The rims are a big source of drag, and they can definitely be tweaked a bit to look good while cutting drag a little.

This is obviously the ideal situation, carefully optimized ducting everywhere. Otherwise, the best you can do is like the Corvette or 911. The Ferrari 599 GTO is probably quite "aerodynamic" and it's not strange looking either, but you're not going to get a car with properly tested winglets and ducts for anything under 200k. The Prius doesn't even have a proper side taper for practicality, and it's pretty much an all out fuel economy car. Note that with the F12 Berlinetta and 458 Italia they ditched a lot of the side ducts, and still improved aerodynamics. "Ideal" in this case is probably not as concrete of a term as I am using it as. The Aptera has nearly completely enclosed wheels and it has a drag coefficient of 0.11. Mercedes Benz seems to think they can get below 0.2 with conventional shapes. So there's certainly a lot of room for improvement, it's just very hard to actually execute.

As for quietness, I don't know exactly what you're trying to get at. Are you concerned with bothering the neighbors or do you not like hearing engine noise inside the cabin? My car is pretty quiet from the outside, but sitting on the inside I swear I can hear every little sound coming from the engine bay.
The aero design on any car is important, of course. However, with a good engine providing good power/torque, the aero can be compromised a bit as long as it accelerates fast and have a good top speed.

The engine noise is just my pet-peeves about people showing off their vehicles across the neighborhood. Having been to a F1 race some times I know how loud an engine can be. But there is no point to rev your engine in front of a stop sign in the middle of the night in a quiet neighborhood. That is just being a a-hole.

I think I read it somewhere about electric car being too quiet that people were not aware of its presence so the government suggests the manufacturer to add some random noise to inform the pedestrian of incoming vehicle. Maybe some day we will be driving electric cars running on highways and yet with a friendly engine noise to the outside world. If the driver really wants the noise, just put on a headphone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Want.FR-S For This Useful Post:
Dimman (10-17-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #6384
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,097 Times in 8,333 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Can't touch this ε;=ε;=ε;=ε;=ε;=ε;=┌( ̄◇ ̄)┘
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350444752.519074.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  96.2 KB
Closed Thread

Tags
221whp, :popcorn:, autobahnned, bringbackthebutts, brucelee, chucknorris, cutiepiepoppoppocorn, docking and snoodling, don'tbesadintotheocean, epic funnies, everyoneignoresmyposts, fuck yeah, funny thread tag, go_a_way1 was here, go_a_waycopiedspecialk, hey youse guys!, hoonigans, i am supreme., i like chocolate milk, i like to poop a lot, i like turtles, ichitaco, insertjokehere, invadethistread39erstyle, kr-s have my babies, kr-s is a faaggot, kr-s is a loser, mythbeliever, myunclesaid..., only the strong survive, postheredontbotherashrink, rules_of_nature, sklimo liked it, skylineislyfe, special_k was here, tagageddon 2016, thetagofreason, titsorgtfo, troz, whathappenedtothetags?