follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #85
showbe
Banned

Drives: A nice one
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akired86 View Post
Toyobaru FR-Z is on a different level of playing field then the rest of the coupe in the market. Front engine rear wheel drive is the definition of fun. Enough said, I like to tackle touge on my free time I’m currently on stock setup, upgrade HID headlight that about it. FR-Z is very well built car from the ground up, the stock suspension is stiff enough for track and canyon driving. If you are looking for a list of upgrade $$ > HP increase then this car is not for you, I would recommend you to please sell your car to a person that can really enjoy driving rather mods car. You can truely appreciate this car if you learn how to drive it well, mods are fun, upgrade can be costly, but in the end is the driver (are you) good enough to drive the FR-S.
If you dont like to mod then dont post or be so negative in this thread. Not everyone is like you and people sometimes like to mod because its their hobby.

No one wants to hear that crap. Then you coming with another reply saying to get a Genesis? Really? Has it ever crossed your mind people actually like the look for the FR-S/BR-Z. Genesis is ugly as shit and people will do what they want with their money. Why would you even suggest such a thing in a thread about upgrades? We have seen impressive Dynos with Mods that have a decent amount of HP added.

Who says you cant drive it well AND mod your car? If you have the money to do it then do it. Not everyone is the same and not everyone likes that ugly Genesis. Like another poster said earlier this thread is for bang for the buck for UPGRADES not selling our cars because we want more HP. Thats just retarded.

Your probably an older guy that isnt into that type of scene. Since most older adults ussually dont mod their cars. Most people who you are saying this too are people who are 20-30 and are heavily into the car scene. They have been for years probably. You really think they are going to keep it stock or sell the car and get a Genesis for more HP when the BRZ/FR-S are 10x the car a Genesis is. All you can say is their is more HP but nothing else on that car will compare or be as good then the stuff on this car.

Last edited by showbe; 09-26-2012 at 12:06 AM.
showbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #86
Apex_Driver

Drives: Audi A3 2.0T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by showbe View Post
If you dont like to mod then dont post or be so negative in this thread. Not everyone is like you and people sometimes like to mod because its their hobby.

No one wants to hear that crap. Then you coming with another reply saying to get a Genesis? Really? Has it ever crossed your mind people actually like the look for the FR-S/BR-Z. Genesis is ugly as shit and people will do what they want with their money. Why would you even suggest such a thing in a thread about upgrades? We have seen impressive Dynos with Mods that have a decent amount of HP added.

Who says you cant drive it well AND mod your car? If you have the money to do it then do it. Not everyone is the same and not everyone likes that ugly Genesis. Like another poster said earlier this thread is for bang for the buck for UPGRADES not selling our cars because we want more HP. Thats just retarded.

Your probably an older guy that isnt into that type of scene. Since most older adults ussually dont mod their cars. Most people who you are saying this too are people who are 20-30 and are heavily into the car scene. They have been for years probably. You really think they are going to keep it stock or sell the car and get a Genesis for more HP when the BRZ/FR-S are 10x the car a Genesis is. All you can say is their is more HP but nothing else on that car will compare or be as good then the stuff on this car.

Opinions are like *******s, everybody has one!

And unfortunately when it comes to cars, its like movies or music. It's entirely opinion based.

This is why you can go out and buy an Audi A5 2.0T, or an Audi A5 3.2, or a 4.2 V8 Audi S5, or hell maybe even a 4.2 V8 Audi RS5. Maybe you don't even like Audi, so instead you buy an M3, or a C63 AMG. Maybe you hate German cars so you buy a Nissan 370Z. But at the end of the day, the main purpose behind their original design is allow you to travel from point a to point b. And in some cases really fast. Or in others, to perform unlike anything else on a track (CUE FR-S SOUNDTRACK).

The same applies to modding and aftermarket products on a vehicle. It could be easily compared to a topic such as fashion. It's strictly opinion or preference. Some people wear Louis Vuitton, others prefer Calvin Klein and Hugo boss, where as some will mix and match. And others won't even bother with a brand name. At the end of the day, they are clothes and they all serve the same purpose, but we wear what we like, or how we like to view ourselves. Much like our cars.

I personally do not like air ride suspension, to me it defeats the purpose of a performance car. However the look of air ride is appealing to even myself in some instances.

I would define an enthusiast as someone who is able to appreciate and respect cars altogether. To respect what other's have done to their vehicle regardless if it's something that they themselves would do. To be an enthusiast in my eyes, you get excited with anything car related. I consider myself an Audi enthusiast, because I'm excited to see anything Audi. And in an age where the aftermarket world has created an almost unlimited ability for customization and personalization, how can you not appreciate it? Our cars have become a place where we're able to express ourselves, not just through speed, but through style and "stance".

If you don't want to modify your car or fail to see the point of it, that's fine! But just because you don't understand or enjoy something, doesn't make it wrong or stupid. I personally don't find tattoo's appealing. I would never get one. But that doesn't mean that they should be illegal. Many people express themselves through this art form, it's a freedom that we have. And just because I chose not to get one makes me no different than the guy sitting next to me who is going on to tattoo #48. And it's NO different with cars.

If we didn't customize or personalize things in our life, like our homes, cars, fashion, personal appearance, etc. then it would all be boring! Rather than look down at people modding the FR-S as a "ruined" vehicle or something that you don't like, try to look at the bright side. Our passion for cars has become so strong that in one way or another, we have created a new form of art. And one that has had almost unparalleled growth and even better growth potential. Because lets not forget, Genesis, or the Benz Patent Motorwagen, was built in 1886, a mere 126 years ago. Imagine what cars will be, or look like in another 126 years.

Mod on boys (and girls!)

RANT OVER (That was more for Akired86 not you showbe...)
Apex_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Apex_Driver For This Useful Post:
F-Bomb (09-26-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #87
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Bump
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #88
BAE

Drives: BRZ Ltd WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
I'm waiting for my tune but in the mean time I have added 3 parts which together really seemed to wake the car up. I don't have dyno numbers but for $400 I got the Perrin crank pulley, Motiv test pipe, and Cosworth drop in air filter. I would highly recommend this combination to anybody looking for good value. I will probably get a catback or axleback exhaust down the road but i'm pretty happy with the gains I got from these three. You could get a Perrin or Apexi filter instead or a Nameless downpipe but if you're on a budget this a good start with quality parts.
Any dyno on the Motiv concept test pipe?
acro (10-12-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #89
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Been waiting for my tune file before i hit the dyno, i don't have a baseline without the test pipe but was going to do one with my current mods and then with the reflash.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:52 AM   #90
Invalid

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Tune is the way to go.
Invalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #91
dolph

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2004 WRX
Horsepower numbers are a bit meaningless without also considering weight... so a revised chart comparing cost per whp per ton would be much more useful... then you'd see the true differences between otherwise identical exhaust systems, and could include non-power mods like lightweight wheels and batteries.
dolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #92
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolph View Post
Horsepower numbers are a bit meaningless without also considering weight... so a revised chart comparing cost per whp per ton would be much more useful... then you'd see the true differences between otherwise identical exhaust systems, and could include non-power mods like lightweight wheels and batteries.
I don't think the effort would be worth it unless its a full muffler delete with just a pipe.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #93
BAE

Garage
Quote:
Ideally we should have improvement of lap times and 1/4 mile times for all upgrades per dollar. Then you could compare better tires vs. a tune or an intake vs. track day instructor :-). But this is what it is. I don't want to spend much time on it.

I agree with everyone that says that tires are the best bang-for-the-buck upgrade for this car, unless you only care for going sideways. For those guys I can recommend wipers for the side windows. :o)
Old 10-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #94
dolph

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2004 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy83 View Post
I don't think the effort would be worth it unless its a full muffler delete with just a pipe.
What effort?

Small weight losses add up just like small power increases do, especially when they come at the same time... e.g. SRT's headerback exhaust system weighs 17 lbs less than stock and puts down an extra 7whp. Assuming a nice round 2800 lb starting point, that's a 6% whp/ton improvement for $1300 + shipping, or a $180 dollars per horsepower per ton improvement... how is that not useful to know or "not worth the effort?"

(((167.48 + 166.62 + 166.94) / 3) * wheel horsepower) / (2800 pounds) = 119.295238 horsepower / ton

(((175.11 + 175.35 + 177.61) / 3) * wheel horsepower) / ((2800 - 17) * pounds) = 126.498982 horsepower / ton

(126.498982 - 119.295238) / 119.295238 = 6.0%

$1300 / (126.498982 whp/ton - 119.295238 whp/ton) = $180/whp/ton

Source: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9372
dolph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dolph For This Useful Post:
RYU (10-12-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #95
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
What effort?

Small weight losses add up just like small power increases do, especially when they come at the same time... e.g. SRT's headerback exhaust system weighs 17 lbs less than stock and puts down an extra 7whp. Assuming a nice round 2800 lb starting point, that's a 6% whp/ton improvement for $1300 + shipping, or a $180 dollars per horsepower per ton improvement... how is that not useful to know or "not worth the effort?"

(((167.48 + 166.62 + 166.94) / 3) * wheel horsepower) / (2800 pounds) = 119.295238 horsepower / ton

(((175.11 + 175.35 + 177.61) / 3) * wheel horsepower) / ((2800 - 17) * pounds) = 126.498982 horsepower / ton

(126.498982 - 119.295238) / 119.295238 = 6.0%

$1300 / (126.498982 whp/ton - 119.295238 whp/ton) = $180/whp/ton

Source: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9372
You want to do it, go for it. I don't see how a 1-3 Lb difference between exhaust systems will sway me into getting one or another. (Remember that you won't be comparing to stock, compare them between themselves)
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #96
BAE

Garage
First post updated with some more intakes.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #97
BAE

Garage
Some updates on the first page. Feel free to post info I should add or correct.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:53 AM   #98
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quik1987 View Post
How much do those weigh?