follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 09-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #15
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
That's the same size as the group buy I organised.
Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #16
yomchi1989
n00b

Drives: Pfft... go by Kangaroo! STRAYA!
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardi330 View Post
That's the same size as the group buy I organised.
Which ones?
yomchi1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #17
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ha! Awesome thread..
With respect to tires, so you know how to read that
Let's say 245/35R18
Well 18 means that the tire will fit on a 18" rim
The 245 is the width of the thread in millimeters
35 is the aspect ratio (as in the percentage hight of the side wall with respect to width) so in this case 35%of 245 meaning you will get a side wall of 85.75mm
The R stands for radial, as in the belt orientation of the tire construction (there is more in there than vulcanized rubber )
Seriously tho, you could have googled how to read this stuff in like 5 minutes
And be warned, with staggered setup, with directional tires, you will not be able to rotate your wheels left to right side or front to back
I'm not going to get in to choosing right setup for performance, or legalities
Old 09-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #18
DanVIIIVI

Drives: 86GTS 6M
Yomchi, also try this website. You can input the specs of the factory wheels/tyres and then the specs of the combination you want to use. It will show you a graphical representation of the wheel and tyre diameters and also show you how the offset changes where the wheel bolts will sit in relation to the centre-line of your wheel.

It will also give you information about how much further your combination will poke out, fill out the fenders or how much closer it is to suspension components.

Pretty handy for learning what adjustments in offset, and tyre/wheel diameters actually does in the real world.
http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
DanVIIIVI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DanVIIIVI For This Useful Post:
yomchi1989 (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #19
Panman

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomchi1989 View Post
Panman, FYI, I have spent a few hours trying to find the answers to my questions online. Not to mention, I have emailed half a dozen suppliers... they either haven't responded, or give vague answers. On top of that, JDM concept recommended that I ask my questions on here.
Yomchi I'm not having a major hit at you, and we all have to learn somewhere, but even minimal research would have got you most of the answers.

For example the "will these wheels fit" thread on this website has the answers to all of these questions as well as links to the resources that we've pointed you.

It'd also help if your questions were a little more specific - ie I've heard xxx is good with tyres, wheels, exhausts are all very subjective, if you provide a bit more information as in "I'm interested in Bridgestone potenza RE001, what's everyone's experience" everyone here - me included is happy to help a newb but it won't give you good information unless you are more specific about what you are interested in and what you are trying to achieve.

So apologies for the tone, but try to provide a bit more context for you questions you'll get better answers.
Panman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Panman For This Useful Post:
yomchi1989 (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #20
JDMC

Drives: JDMC
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomchi1989 View Post
Panman, FYI, I have spent a few hours trying to find the answers to my questions online. Not to mention, I have emailed half a dozen suppliers... they either haven't responded, or give vague answers. On top of that, JDM concept recommended that I ask my questions on here.
hi mate,

the reason why i ask you to come here is to look around the threads on wheels and what spec people use on their car because you wrote this to me:

Hi,

How much for a set of 18" Work Emotion CR Ultimate (Matt Black) for a Toyota 86 inc. centre caps and blue lugs?

Inc. shipping to Adelaide?

I think I would like the rear slightly deeper than the fronts.

the reason i posted the sizes to you on my reply is because you havent specified what they are..

so i replied this to you:

Hi michael

Price varies with width.

Please refer to this page for pricing,
http://www.jdmconcept.com.au/part/wo...i-ultimate-set

when you say the rear slightly deeper than the front. You want to rear wheel sit more inside than the front wheels?

in the end, i wrote this to you

Hi michael

I don’t have a chart for visual parts, but you can have a look at the pictures on the link I have given you, basically all the face is the same for 18x7.5, 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 regardless of their spec for example 18x7.5 +38 and 18x7.5 +48 will have the same look. It should give you rough idea how it looks like

For further discussion you can join the 86 club. The members will be able to help you with the look that you want.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20

http://*************/forum/forum.php

getting wheels is not as simple like in the past. In the past, people is very conservative but now anything goes. Depending on people level of experience, some that says I want tight fit wheels is different to another.

If you browse those forums, it should give you an idea on the spec that you want.

In essence what i am trying to say is, gone long are the days where there is one size fit wheel for the same car. in the past is easier, when people accept one size only. But now they want to have that certain look, the problem is that "certain look" is subjective.. what is hellaflush is different from one person to another. what is poke is different as well.

having a point of reference (some pictures or specs) such as what other owners have put on their cars i find it the most helpful way for anyone to buy wheels nowadays.. and this forum has plenty..
JDMC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDMC For This Useful Post:
GaN-MaN (09-28-2012), Nardi330 (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #21
Panman

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
The other point is that all of this stuff is personal.

On the wheel front my personal goals were light as possible, as near to stock offsets as possible.

Why? Reducing rotating mass and not moving it too far outwards so as to preserve power and handling, going to a width that will give me the tyre profile I want.
@Nardi330 @coyote @Nafe

May or may not all have different objectives - going flush, liking a particular brand of wheel (eg. Going JDM on a Japanese car).

Nardi has gone one way, I've gone another, no one is right or wrong - that's one of the things I like about this car (and why it's a Scion in the US not a Toyota) is that it's a great canvas for personalisation.

Decide what your goals are then ask questions that get you there.

ie. I want to have a flush wide look with my wheels, what do you guys recommend?

I won't have an opinion on that - it's not my thing, but a lot of people will.

It's a great community - ask specific questions and people will help.
Panman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Panman For This Useful Post:
JDMC (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 11:01 PM   #22
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ok since we are going in to flush and poke territory, I recommend you read up on Soith Australian regulations on that. I know in qld you can't have any part of the wheel visible outside the car from top down look (or there about, not exact wording). While you might have it for ages, you might run in to a police officer in a bad mood, say the wrong smart ass thing and get a ticket for it
This also includes changing your track
It wasn't a problem in the past as much as it is getting to be now, because more and more people are doing rediculous things (for eg before I never used to see traffic branch doing full car inspections when a road is closed off for RBT, now it's all the time)
And I believe you are after more concave/dish at the rear than front
Old 09-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #23
yomchi1989
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
Ok since we are going in to flush and poke territory, I recommend you read up on Soith Australian regulations on that. I know in qld you can't have any part of the wheel visible outside the car from top down look (or there about, not exact wording). While you might have it for ages, you might run in to a police officer in a bad mood, say the wrong smart ass thing and get a ticket for it
This also includes changing your track
It wasn't a problem in the past as much as it is getting to be now, because more and more people are doing rediculous things (for eg before I never used to see traffic branch doing full car inspections when a road is closed off for RBT, now it's all the time)
And I believe you are after more concave/dish at the rear than front
Yes mate, I reckon just this set-up would be fine that Nardi organised for a group buy:

18x9.5 +38 PCD 5x100

If I am correct, this would give you (x4) wheels with the deeper dish (like the rears on that white BRZ in the picture). Is that right?
Old 09-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #24
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yes but remember u will need other modification to fit and also this setup might not be legal at your state.
Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #25
Nafe

Drives: Mt Fuji Red 86 GT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
@yomchi1989
As @Panman Said, it is very personal. A wide range of sizes/offsets WILL fit, but what do YOU want to achieve.
I, personally, am getting light wheels, with a bit more aggressive width and offset to fill the guard a bit, but still not too aggressive or "hella flush".
There really are alot of these threads on the forum already. Check the wheel forum, you will find a thread with pictures as well as specs.
General rule of thumb - the lower the offset, the more dish/concave look you will have. BUT this also will increase unsprung weight, which in turn affects handling.
What specs am I going to go with? 17x8.5 +35.
Keeps it light, looks a more aggressive, but not too crazy.
Nafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:20 AM   #26
yomchi1989
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardi330 View Post
Yes but remember u will need other modification to fit and also this setup might not be legal at your state.
Hi Nardi,

If you go 18x8.5 +38 PCD 5x100 (all round) ... would this still be a possible 'legal' issue?

Also, what modifications were you suggesting?
Old 09-29-2012, 01:44 AM   #27
Nafe

18X8.5 will fit no problem
Old 09-29-2012, 01:44 AM   #28
Nafe

as to legal stuff, you will need to check regulations with your state department of transport

Tags
wheels