follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #113
baldolera

Drives: None Yet
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
On the other hand, what do they have to win? Some customers aren't going to be satisfied. Even the ones who can be satisfied aren't going to run around the internet telling of their satisfaction with nearly the enthusiasm they posted about their unhappiness.

I'm still not quite sure why their initial offer to repair the vehicle wasn't acceptable. Now they're offering repair +extended warranty and credit, or an exchange for a new vehicle. I'd say toyota's gone pretty far to keep this guy happy - and they haven't succeeded yet.

-Justin
I guess you have some good points too. However as Jalopnik have contacted the OP as said in a previous post Jalopnik is the kind of website that will tell the outcome, good or bad. It is true that people won't run around the internet spreading satisfaction, but if the customer isn't satisfied the customer will run around spreading bad news about the company.

Seeing how the OP updated saying accessories that are a one-time install that can't be removed then re-installed again like tints/clear-bra will be replaced makes everything seem more reasonable. However the OP still had to go through the trouble of reporting the incident then taking the time out of his daily life to go and deal with the situation.
baldolera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baldolera For This Useful Post:
Tanuki (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #114
jadewbj

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FRS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Take the replacement hands down. Get it in writing that they will replace the bra and all of the other details you outlined in your post.

GET IT IN WRITING.

I see no problem with you getting a brand new car that is exactly like what you have and you get to keep your current car until the new one comes is.

Seems totally fair to me. It would not hurt to ask for the $500 gift card for your troubles. It seems like you have the right attitude and would ask not demand for it. What is the worst they could do, say no?

I think Toyota and the customer handled this very well, no fighting, no name calling and no blaming. They offered a great resolution so why would they need to keep it out of the media?
jadewbj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jadewbj For This Useful Post:
Tanuki (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #115
Tanuki
Turtle Factory

Drives: Mint M3
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
It does seem silly to go through all of this and still come out where I started (with a brand new car), but with today's phone call, I can say that Toyota are being fair. When I first read the letter and assumed that the bra was not covered (falling into the aftermarket parts category), I felt that I was coming out much less than even, because I was. I think it is great that they are willing to let me continue to use the car for potentially an additional 120 days. That alone saves me close to 10,000 miles from going on my car (based of usage based on my current daily average).
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #116
Justin.b

Drives: 13 Hot Lava, 01 Miata, 09 Outback
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Toyota is being 1000x MORE than fair with you on this issue.

You're getting way more from them than you would ever get even if this had fallen under the lemon law, which it doesn't. Heck, in order to get satisfaction from an automaker in a lemon law situation, your car has to spend months out of service getting repaired, and the repairs aren't cosmetic - they're actual mechanical issues that prevent the vehicle from operating properly.

-Justin
Old 08-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #117
Those Meddling Kids

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ limited
Take the new car. See if they will give you the platinum warranty on the new vehicle as well since your trust in the brand is in question now.
Those Meddling Kids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Those Meddling Kids For This Useful Post:
Tanuki (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #118
feyrerm

Drives: Galaxy Blue BRZ Ltd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
It does seem silly to go through all of this and still come out where I started (with a brand new car), but with today's phone call, I can say that Toyota are being fair. When I first read the letter and assumed that the bra was not covered (falling into the aftermarket parts category), I felt that I was coming out much less than even, because I was. I think it is great that they are willing to let me continue to use the car for potentially an additional 120 days. That alone saves me close to 10,000 miles from going on my car (based of usage based on my current daily average).
I agree. This is a good deal and it seems they are being very fair.
feyrerm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to feyrerm For This Useful Post:
Tanuki (12-05-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #119
Tanuki
Turtle Factory

I agree^

Justin,

I don't see how this is 1000x more than fair? I could see 100% fair though.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #120
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
Toyota is being 1000x MORE than fair with you on this issue.

You're getting way more from them than you would ever get even if this had fallen under the lemon law, which it doesn't. Heck, in order to get satisfaction from an automaker in a lemon law situation, your car has to spend months out of service getting repaired, and the repairs aren't cosmetic - they're actual mechanical issues that prevent the vehicle from operating properly.

-Justin
I can speak from experience that what I bolded above is not true.
Now, if you're talking about refund of 100% of purchase price, then I agree.
But technically, lemon law could apply to a cosmetic issue like just an abnormal noise as long as it lowers the value of the car, but you would have to take the depreciation loss which is 1% per 1000 miles.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sigh-on-Rice For This Useful Post:
Tanuki (12-05-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #121
Justin.b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
I agree^

Justin,

I don't see how this is 1000x more than fair? I could see 100% fair though.
Sorry. It is fair, but almost infinitely less hassle than most people have gone through to get this satisfaction from an automaker.

-Justin
Old 08-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #122
Justin.b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice View Post
I can speak from experience that what I bolded above is not true.
Now, if you're talking about refund of 100% of purchase price, then I agree.
But technically, lemon law could apply to a cosmetic issue like just an abnormal noise as long as it lowers the value of the car, but you would have to take the depreciation loss which is 1% per 1000 miles.
The laws do vary by state, but there would have to be one heckuva cosmetic issue to cause the downtime required to trigger the lemon laws in most states.

Besides, every lemon law I've seen only comes into effect after the dealer has made more than one repair attempt to correct the defect. This dealer was denied any attempt to repair this. The defect also needs to be substantial:

Quote:
The Lemon Law only covers serious defects- those which substantially impair the use, market-value or safety of the vehicle. The law does not list the defects which are considered substantial. You must be able to demonstrate specifically how the use, safety or market value of your vehicle is substantially impaired by the defect. For example, to prove market value impairment, you must show that your vehicle is worth at least 10 percent less than it would be without the defect. Although a defect may be annoying, it is not necessarily substantial.
Here in MA, the mileage deduction formula is car price / 100000 x miles traveled, so for an FR-S it would work out to about $0.25/mile.

I'm glad Toyota has stepped up on this to keep a customer happy. I just think the people chanting for more should realize that their offer is well above and beyond their obligation and also comes without the usual required and inconvenient 15 days of down time.

-Justin
Old 08-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #123
FT-86GOD
Senior Rocket Bunny

Drives: 1982 XX KE70
Tanuki congrats.....

U won big time if what u say is true about buying the car to collect...

U get an frs to practice with for the next 3 months without a care in the world of pot holes, rock chips, trucks, shopping mall car parks and mums in SUVs...

U've made some Toyota buddies along the way..

Jalopnik crew called u about ur issue.... Mr popular!!

It was all at a cost of ur time, patience, and im sure a bit of stress but mate u have come out very well.....

Well done to Toyota for biting the bullet and replacing the car...

May i say though.......

F*CK the option 2 Toyota gave u!!!

$500 voucher and some extra dealership warranty, pffftt f*ck off and no thank u....

Maybe the TRD BBK or something to show the love but WTF was that option 2 all about Toyota lol.........

Anyway good luck to ya dude with ur new car..... And the one u get to play with for now....
Tanuki (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #124
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Garage
One thing you should question:
What happens if you get into an accident?

I guess the law is different from state to state for this as Justin says, but when I went through something similar, I was told that everything gets void if I get into an accident regardless of it being my fault or not. And one suggestion I was given to avoid that was to leave the car at their possession until everything is done.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sigh-on-Rice For This Useful Post:
Tanuki (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #125
Spartan65
USMC Veteran Semper Fi

Drives: 2010 WR Blue STi
Garage
120 Days, I bet they go through the replacement car with a fine tooth comb, it will benefit future buyers, it may even refine the QA program set in place. When it comes down to it as long as the OP is satisfied we all should smile for his good fortune. I've said it before and here it is again this is a new platform first run production, it's up to the buyers to keep the manufacture honest.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #126
Tanuki
Turtle Factory

Thanks,

I think this will all work out fine. Once again, up until now, they (toyota) has been very eager to make this right. They are acting like regular human beings with a few corporate rules, which is nice as well. It is easy for a corporation of this size to basically trample over you.

I am actually still interested to know what they find out when researching the defect. I would imagine there would be an error code or something that was cleared in the factory when the machine jammed this brace.