follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 10-17-2022, 03:13 PM   #15
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
There are plenty of dealerships that will sell you the car for MSRP too. The days of negotiating below MSRP are probably gone for a long time, if not forever, but there is no reason to pay more or have to deal with other dealership games.
Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Desertnate For This Useful Post:
x808drifter (10-18-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 03:14 PM   #16
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
Not NorCal, right?
Definitely not, I know the market is even crazier there. I was lucky that the local dealer here in Alaska accepts the VIP program.
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 06:22 AM   #17
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't know what the rules are about posts like this, but what I can tell is that @Tr4ck_day is "one of us".

We've been following each other on IG for a while, he owns a 22 BRZ himself, does track days with it, etc.

While MSRP purists will say that $2k over is too damn expensive, I've seen way higher mark-ups. If I were waiting for a car just like that and saw a "$2k over" offer, I'd likely take it. I personally paid $888 over MSRP for my GR86 and haven't regretted that once (would need to wait another 4+ months to get another shot from a different dealer).
Yeah and like I said before. If you pay a dime over MSRP you are the problem. Dealerships wouldn't do it if morons wouldn't give them the money.

I hate that it needs to be spelled out.
Advertising/selling stuff belongs in the classifieds. Not here. It's not that complicated. We have them for a reason.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
Desertnate (10-18-2022), OkieSnuffBox (10-19-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 12:44 PM   #18
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
If you pay a dime over MSRP you are the problem.
You forgot the <<old man shaking an angry fist >> emoji.

Oh, and you also don't understand economics ...
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CincyJohn For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (10-19-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 12:51 AM   #19
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,304 Times in 720 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
If you pay a dime over MSRP you are the problem. Dealerships wouldn't do it if morons wouldn't give them the money.
We're clearly having a respectful and productive conversation here
Old 10-19-2022, 02:36 AM   #20
Flarpswitch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Ltd, 2019 Ascent
While I appreciate the sentiment for giving a heads-up on an available car, I have to side with those who think this crosses the line. A year ago I called the dealership where I got my 2017 BRZ $3,800 under MSRP and a 2019 Ascent for Costco pricing and they told me that they could order me a 2022 BRZ, but they would tack on a $3,000 market adjustment. I went to a more local dealership and ordered a BRZ Limited with options right off the build sheet only all for MSRP. That did not stop them from pitching extra stuff, but I appreciate that they did not hold a gun to my head. That so-called market adjustment… how much of that makes its way to the people who actually build the car? Exactly. Funny thing; the first dealer called me back 24 hours after I ordered the new BRZ from the second and offered to take my old car in trade and sell me a new one for just about the same cost as what I sold the 2017 privately and paid cash for the new car. Apparently, they took a minute to look in their customer records and thought it was a good idea to contact me. A day late and a dollar short.
Old 10-19-2022, 04:23 AM   #21
Tr4ck_day

Drives: 22 BRZ
Quote:
I don't know what the rules are about posts like this, but what I can tell is that @Tr4ck_day is "one of us".

We've been following each other on IG for a while, he owns a 22 BRZ himself, does track days with it, etc.

While MSRP purists will say that $2k over is too damn expensive, I've seen way higher mark-ups. If I were waiting for a car just like that and saw a "$2k over" offer, I'd likely take it. I personally paid $888 over MSRP for my GR86 and haven't regretted that once (would need to wait another 4+ months to get another shot from a different dealer).

Appreciate you saying that. My hands are tied in regards to the markup, but I know there's a lot of people out there that wish that they had pulled the trigger when orders were open and now they are stuck waiting months and months. I am a genuine enthusiast and I just wanted the car to go to someone who really wants it. This was one of the only ways I could think of to get the info out there.
Tr4ck_day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tr4ck_day For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (10-19-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 11:10 AM   #22
scuzzy

Drives: 22 BRZ limited MT
i'm the guy who gave up the order (regretful knee jerk decision due to a family situation) and I can tell everyone Tr4ck_Day is a proud BRZ owner, a true car enthusiast, and the best salesperson I've ever worked with in any business because of his integrity both personal and professional.
scuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scuzzy For This Useful Post:
CaptainFenderbaum (10-20-2022), timurrrr (10-19-2022), Tr4ck_day (10-19-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 11:39 AM   #23
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
Oh, and you also don't understand economics ...
The economics of the market can work both ways. Paying over MSRP feeds the practice. Giving your business to dealerships who don't mark-up rewards those dealers who sell at MSRP. The dealership where I bought my BRZ has a corporate policy of not marking up any vehicle.

Does it make it harder on the consumer? Yes, but it's worth it to save the money.

In practice I've been doing this for years, and I'm sure many others have too. None of my wife's vehicles have ever been purchased locally because dealerships used car prices are not competitive when compared against others a few hundred miles away. Even after including travel to get it, I've saved a couple thousand dollars each time.
Old 10-19-2022, 12:13 PM   #24
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,304 Times in 720 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
The economics of the market can work both ways. Paying over MSRP feeds the practice. Giving your business to dealerships who don't mark-up rewards those dealers who sell at MSRP.
Over a dozen MSRP-only dealerships had my business but failed to deliver on their part of the deal. Some even started playing sketchy games with multi-week delays when I asked to give my deposit back. One only gave my money back after I posted a detailed one star review on Google Maps and Yelp.

"We sell at MSRP" means neither that they have something to sell, nor that they are a good dealer.

Quote:
In practice I've been doing this for years, and I'm sure many others have too. None of my wife's vehicles have ever been purchased locally because dealerships used car prices are not competitive when compared against others a few hundred miles away. Even after including travel to get it, I've saved a couple thousand dollars each time.
Yeah but how many of those wife's vehicles have been purchased during 2022?
Old 10-19-2022, 02:13 PM   #25
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
The economics of the market can work both ways. Paying over MSRP feeds the practice. Giving your business to dealerships who don't mark-up rewards those dealers who sell at MSRP. The dealership where I bought my BRZ has a corporate policy of not marking up any vehicle.

Does it make it harder on the consumer? Yes, but it's worth it to save the money.

Great! I am not telling anyone that they need to give their business to local dealers regardless of the mark-up. And you aren't the guy saying anyone that pays a dime over MSRP a moron.

Everyone needs to remember that the time vs. money equation is different for EVERYONE.
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CincyJohn For This Useful Post:
CaptainFenderbaum (10-20-2022), timurrrr (10-19-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 02:24 PM   #26
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
My dealer tried to add a $1k ADM when I ordered my '23 BRZ Limited back in April.

When he told me that, I stood and shook his hand, thanked him for his time and told him I wouldn't be paying over MSRP. He quickly talked to the sales manager and they got rid of it. And their in-house financing even beat what I would have got from PenFed.

I don't know if some people don't realize they can negotiate, are afraid too, or just have to big a hard on for a new car they will pay over MSRP to get one.

But I will admit, I was in a position to wait. We both WFH so we had already been sharing a car for more than a year after I sold my gnarly NC Miata in March of last year.
Old 10-19-2022, 02:31 PM   #27
Tr4ck_day

Drives: 22 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzzy View Post
i'm the guy who gave up the order (regretful knee jerk decision due to a family situation) and I can tell everyone Tr4ck_Day is a proud BRZ owner, a true car enthusiast, and the best salesperson I've ever worked with in any business because of his integrity both personal and professional.

I genuinely appreciate you saying that. I can understand why some people are touchy about posts of this nature, and markups in general. As you know, we are a dealership that is more than willing to sell a car at MSRP to a returning customer, someone local to keep the tax dollars in our community, or someone that intends to have their car serviced with us.

However, I don't think its impossible to broach this subject in a car forum without sparking heated debates and opinions. Luckily that is exactly what forums are for.

Last edited by Tr4ck_day; 10-19-2022 at 06:41 PM.
Tr4ck_day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 01:20 PM   #28
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Quote:
Over a dozen MSRP-only dealerships had my business but failed to deliver on their part of the deal. Some even started playing sketchy games with multi-week delays when I asked to give my deposit back. One only gave my money back after I posted a detailed one star review on Google Maps and Yelp.

"We sell at MSRP" means neither that they have something to sell, nor that they are a good dealer.
That's too bad. I had a totally different experience with the couple dealers I spoke with (Toyota and Subaru). Very straight forward on all accounts.

Quote:
Yeah but how many of those wife's vehicles have been purchased during 2022?
I'm in the process right now due to her vehicle starting to wear out after 325K miles. We've been holding out for two years and can't wait any longer. Still finding I can save 2~3K on a used car by going about 250~350 miles or a little farther away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
Great! I am not telling anyone that they need to give their business to local dealers regardless of the mark-up. And you aren't the guy saying anyone that pays a dime over MSRP a moron.
No that was not me, and I would never say something like that to someone in person or online. It was someone else. My only point is there are alternatives to paying over MSRP, it just takes more effort.

I know many people who find the concept of buying a car from a non-local seller (dealer or private) to be a totally alien concept. In this market, it you have to case a very wide net to find the best deals. I was only try to show sometimes there are alternatives.

Quote:
Everyone needs to remember that the time vs. money equation is different for EVERYONE.
Very true and not a point to be overlooked. I think it is important though to examine all options to make that determination and don't be afraid to look at any possibility to flex that break point if able.